Eyes and Ears

Came across this while I was reading an article on sound reproduction, i.e, hi res vs. mp3.  The article was making the point that when you listen, it's not just with your ears but your brain as well.  Just like when you see something, it's not just your eyes.  Thought it was interesting enough to share.

main-qimg-238b4b784208032473436d7813a79f

Regarding the letter jumbling, Matt Davis has kept a fairly interesting page about this since the story first went viral (about fifteen years ago). As expected, there are some subtleties to the claim (and the example above has almost certainly been constructed to be easy to read):

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/

I'm curious what point the author of the audio article was making, though!

1 hour ago, lipi said:

I'm curious what point the author of the audio article was making, though!

Are you familiar with Quora?  It's a Q&A website.  Here's a link to the discussion:  https://www.quora.com/Can-anyone-really-tell-the-difference-between-a-WAV-file-and-a-high-quality-MP3. As you may well imagine, there are differing opinions.

Edited by Dave James

Thank you!

I'm a little disappointed to see that the "yes, you can totally hear a difference" guy references a 10 year old article that doesn't list most of its sources and that doesn't really address the question but skirts around the issue. I'd love to see a source on the "you get tired if you listen to compressed audio because your brain has to do more work" story in particular.

But then again, the guy asking the question got what he deserved for failing to define "high quality."