Nucleus - any recommendations?

GA Russell

This, their first two albums on one set.    Karl Jenkins and John Marshall went on to Soft Machine around Soft Machine Fifth (Marshall) and Six (Jenkins).

https://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Rock-Well-About-Later/dp/B0000072M0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1547342683&sr=1-1&keywords=nucleus+cd

The set with their third and fourth albums is also well worthwhile, with Allen Holdsworth (also later of Soft Machine) showing up.

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Plexus-Belladonna-Carr-Nucleus/dp/B00006CY64/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1547343035&sr=1-1&keywords=solar+plexus+belladonna

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, greggery peccary said:

I grabbed all of the titles on BGO and I think that they are excellent. That led me back to the Rendell/Carr quintet and then Ian Carr's music. Great music. Touches of electric Miles at times, otherwise just chock full of solid tunes and great playing Not a clunker in the whole bunch.

Agreed.  Also lead me to Rendell/Carr.

Most of the BGO reissues of the Vertigo/Capitol albums are still available - I would start with ‘Elastic Rock’ / ‘We’ll Talk About It Later’.

’UK Tour ‘76’ is also a personal favourite.

Board Member RogerF also has an excellent Ian Carr/Nucleus Tribute website which should be first port of call for info (as well has his book).

4 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed.  Also lead me to Rendell/Carr.

‘Elastic Rock’ is something of a transitional album with a bit of a Rendell/Carr feel.

Not to forget ‘Greek Variations’ under Neil Ardley’s name either - although that could be hard to get hold of.

Edited by sidewinder