JSngry

Ran Blake and Jeanne Lee, The Newest Sound You Never Heard 1966-67

28 posts in this topic

The-Newest-Sound-you-never-heard-cover-2

Official Physical and Digital Release Date Jan 25th, 2019

http://a-siderecords.com/records/the-newest-sound-you-never-heard/#

I got something called Free Standards - Stockholm 1966 off a blog, but that was French Columbia. And then it came out again on Fresh Sounds, but you know, fuck them.

But anyway, there this is!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JSngry said:

The-Newest-Sound-you-never-heard-cover-2

Official Physical and Digital Release Date Jan 25th, 2019

http://a-siderecords.com/records/the-newest-sound-you-never-heard/#

I got something called Free Standards - Stockholm 1966 off a blog, but that was French Columbia. And then it came out again on Fresh Sounds, but you know, fuck them.

But anyway, there this is!

Interesting ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news for sure! Hope it'll be distributed over here (still no luck with Kimbrough's Monk set, Sunnyside is us only it seems, and I guess it's getting worse ...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JSngry said:

The-Newest-Sound-you-never-heard-cover-2

Official Physical and Digital Release Date Jan 25th, 2019

http://a-siderecords.com/records/the-newest-sound-you-never-heard/#

I got something called Free Standards - Stockholm 1966 off a blog, but that was French Columbia. And then it came out again on Fresh Sounds, but you know, fuck them.

But anyway, there this is!

 

I believe this set includes material not on the Fresh Sounds release. To quote a certain board member, carpe diem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe said:

I believe this set includes material not on the Fresh Sounds release. To quote a certain board member, carpe diem!

Correct: it includes the Stockholm, Sweden, November 8, 1966 session reissued on Fresh Sound as well as a never before issued session: Studio I, Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie, Brussels, Belgium, October 21, 1966, and a session labelled "Live, Brussels, Belgium, unidentified date, 1967".

The label linked above accepts PayPal, so this issue should be available the world over (@ ubu). When you click the PayPal link a whole page of releases opens, leading me to think Ran Blake had a hand in this. Many of his releases are offered.

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:

I don't believe so, at least domestically. This BMG France reissue probably comes closest.

https://www.discogs.com/Jeanne-Lee-With-Ran-Blake-The-Newest-Sound-Around/release/3102306

I have that reissue, sound is good, and it has four bonus tracks. They didn't make that availale in the US? Duh ...

The cover of the new issue is a clear reference.

R-3102306-1315853530.jpeg.jpg

Be careful when ordering this one, earlier CD versions did not inlude the bonus tracks.

This was a US CD release, According to discogs, "Summertime" is missing, but the Lord Disco says it has the complete LP plus the four bonus tracks.

R-6555141-1432941947-2298.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Jeanne-Lee-Ran-Blake-The-Legendary-Duets-/release/6555141

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike. NEVER seen that Bluebird issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Correct: it includes the Stockholm, Sweden, November 8, 1966 session reissued on Fresh Sound as well as a never before issued session: Studio I, Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie, Brussels, Belgium, October 21, 1966, and a session labelled "Live, Brussels, Belgium, unidentified date, 1967".

The label linked above accepts PayPal, so this issue should be available the world over (@ ubu). When you click the PayPal link a whole page of releases opens, leading me to think Ran Blake had a hand in this. Many of his releases are offered.

I figured that out in the meantime -- and yes, it seems Blake has a hand in this indeed, also came to that conclusion. Got to get this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, felser said:

My copy is RCA Victor Gold Series 74321748052 - includes the bonus tracks.

That's the one in Joe's post.

Edited by jlhoots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Joe said:

Thanks Mike. NEVER seen that Bluebird issue.

Ask to see it the next time you come over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ask to see it the next time you come over!

yes, its been too long!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jazz reviewer on Terry Gross' Fresh Air NPR show did a segment on this a few days ago. Kevin Whitehead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered mine. Looking forward to hear it. If the sound is close to the RCA cd reissue, we are in for an auditory orgasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I just ordered mine. Looking forward to hear it. If the sound is close to the RCA cd reissue, we are in for an auditory orgasm.

I'm very tempted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This release was made possible with Ran's direct input and the considerable effort of Aaron Hartley (Ran's aide-de-camp and NEC colleague) and his A-Side records. Danilo Perez and Dominique Eade contribute wonderful notes. The sound is pristine. I am biased, of course, but this is spectacular music, lovingly presented. Ran's illustrations throughout are a Braxtonian delight. Don't sleep on it.

ran.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 3:49 PM, jlhoots said:

I'm very tempted.

You will not regret it. It’s a feast for the ears and the brain. I’ve  just listened to the first 10 songs from disc 1, and it’s everything you’d hope it to be..something quite different!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any sources this side of the pond? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Disc 1 twice yesterday. It's captivating. Looking forward to discussing the music. Her Ellington interpretations are so refreshingly-original. The Beatles cut...I guess it was a tribute to an immensely-popular hit. Even trying to inject some individualism into what everyone was covering then is commendable. And sexy. I hadn't listened to the lyrics of the Hard Day's Night until she sang it. She made it sound quite erotic. :)  

The service was awesome also. I got mine within a couple of days of ordering. They also sent a free bonus disk of Persian music, which i haven't played yet..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.