Pharoah Sanders – The Creator's Master Plan (Q&A)

16 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

hope this means he touring this year- saw him with william henerson (duo) two times in 2017--- was extremely good.  extremely

I saw him a few years ago, maybe 2014 , anyway in that period. He sounded wonderful, sure he wouldn´t play with the power he had in the 80´s when I heard him first, but that´s not the point, anyway the music was of highest quality. But on the same time I was a bit in sorrow because it was obvious that Mr. Sanders was in physical discomfort. But as for playing the saxophone  he really came to live, especially in the second half of the concert. I think his set´s became a stage routine, they start with a kind of rubato ballad, some  uptempo straight ahead stuff with a very long piano solo by Henderson , the tune might have been "Dr. Pitt", a Sanders original from the early 80´s, a Coltrane-style standard ballad, and a powerful "The Creator has a Masterplan". That´s how it was.......

Anyway you must be glad to have still the occasion to see one of the last "living legends" live in action.

At that concert I even had with me my old LP "Live at the East" , the first Sanders LP I had decades ago. Maybe I had the hope I could tell him that I purchased that 40 years ago and if he would sign it for me, but I was too shy, and didn´t have the impression that Mr. Sanders is the kind of man you get in touch with him and say "Please, Mr. Sanders, would you be so kind to give me an autograph, you know I´m a big fan and this was my first record I bought, you know......"

21 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

oh god i remember after the show i crawled onto the stage, before that sort of thing got you a guaranteed beat-down, and i asked some personnel if i could meet him and the said wait here and then came back and said mr sanders is looking forward to meeting you!  so yea!

Where on earth does going up to the stage to talk to the artist after a Jazz show gets you a beat-down? You're going to the wrong clubs. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Pharoah’s on a couple of tracks from Joey DeFrancesco’s new CD. I’m still bummed that I didn’t get to see the rescheduled Bartz-Sanders show at Le Poisson Rouge. (Though the Roy Hargrove memorial concert, cause of its displacement, was amazing... but I probably won’t get too many more chances to see Sanders.)

• 10 months later...