Australian Open 2019

Brad

The last thread I could find was from 2008 so time for a new one. 

Anyone watching. I have caught dribs and drabs here and there.  I did watch all of the Federer Taylor Fritz last match and he was surgical in dispatching his opponent in straight sets.

This morning, I watched the end of the Cilic Verdasco match today, a grueling five setter, that Verdasco let slip away; he battled to the end but Cilic prevailed. Cilic will now face another Spaniard in the round of 16. 

This is a rather interesting article.  

Serena Williams’s Practices Add a Wrinkle: A Top Men’s Player

I am like you Brad only less time spent watching. Hoping to watch some this holiday weekend though as for once the office is closed for MLK Jr on Monday. Glad to hear that Roger played so well but I have to say I have my doubts he's got another Slam in him, with Djokovic and Nadal both back and playing well. 

Just saw the draw for the first time, if there are no upsets Roger would have to beat #6 Cilic then #2 Nadal and #1 Djokovic. 

Biggest win for Sharapova in a long time: #30 beat #3 Wozniaki. 

Venus lost meekly to the top seed, which spares us another Serena v Venus Slam match. ESPN must be pissed, that was their 7 pm Eastern match Sunday night all lined up until Venus messed it up.

A lot of upsets last night as Kerber the number 2 seed fell to a young American, Danielle Collins, and Federer lost.  Cilic couldn’t beat another Spaniard and another young American, Francis Tiafoe, advanced to the quarters.  His stay will be short as he has to face Nadal. He makes too many unforced errors. 

Unlucky match for Serena tonight. She was coasting in the third set, only points from victory, and then wrong footed, hurting her ankle and although she seemed to shake it off, it affected her and she lost every game after that, losing to Pliskova. Very tough break.