On 18.1.2019 at 11:32 PM, JSngry said:

The Model for 'Poteet Canyon' Stays Deep in the Heart of Texas

https://people.com/archive/the-model-for-poteet-canyon-stays-deep-in-the-heart-of-texas-vol-10-no-8/

29891938_1_x.jpg

Just when you think you're all developed about the interconnectedness of life and all that shit, BAM, something like this pops up.

I saw this group live in the same year. I hadn´t known Jimmy Ford , only from a foto in Ira Gitler´s book Jazz Masters of the Forties, where he is seen with the Dameron group. Too bad no broadcasts exist from his playing with Dameron.

With Arnett Cobb together, I must say I was very impressed by Jimmy Ford. I didn´t know the trumpet player Calvin Owen, he was okay but not the greatest.....

I happened upon Jimmy Ford with Maynard on the first few Roulette 2-fers of the early 70s. Had no idea of his history, which is obscure but interesting. And to find out that he's a hub for direct connections between Milton Caniff/Steve Canyon, Tadd Dameron, Maynard Ferguson, and Arnett Cobb is just too freakin' weird.

Here's the one solo of his with Maynard that has stayed with me. Then and now, he struck me as "spurty" in a really oddball/compelling manner, like there's something going on inside that could blow at any time.

• 3 months later...