https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/16/escape-overthinking-trap-stop-juding-yourself

How to escape the overthinking trap: stop judging yourself

Before Christmas I took a young relative to a jazz concert. The thought of it ruined his whole day. He scuffed around the house like an alt-right voter at a refugee camp.

In the event, even he acknowledged that we had a fine time. But neither of us would ever get back the dreadful hours that preceded it. He’d fallen prey to a cardinal paradox – poisoning the present by agonising over a future hardship that never materialised.

So I'm thinking that the lesson here might NOT be to stop judging yourself and if anything DO judge yourself, as in, hey, I just assumed that I was going to hate this shit, maybe next time I should withhold judgement until after the fact, when I have something to actually bounce it up against besides my own personal ignorance. Maybe I am a dumbass about shit that I know absolutely nothing about, ya' think? I guess that's too harsh or something.

No matter - jazz blamed for an ignuntass kid's emoness. Not the kid, jazz.

Not saying the kid was/is wrong in principle, I mean, I don't know what concert they went to. But hey - jazz terrorizes emo-kids into a whirlyfrenzy.

Blame jazz for that, or thank it? Hmmmmmmmm.....

20 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Back on topic, much of the currently trendy mindfulness/Vedantic/Buddhist thinking involves ditching the constant self-evaluation mental dialogue discussed in the Grauniad article.

Hmmmm...I'd like to think that such advanced thinking is perhaps not best undertaken by a general populace that seems to be making the removal of any and all personal discomfort and inconvenience, regardless of the source/reason, their collective primary motivator? From there, can you really get THERE?

skeptical_hippo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

45 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Nothing in the blurb you posted blames Jazz, unless I’m reading it all wrong. 

Just read the article again now, and i have to agree. "Jazz" reads more like a random example (maybe one that's a bit cliche-laden and is used as clickbait on the premise of "oh yeah, jazz - nobody understands that anyway ...")

The concert could have been just any concert way off the kind of music that youth would have preferred himself - classical, techno, whatever ...

I am not quite sure what the author wants to express in the "rest" of the article on such a wordy, overladen manner ... Doesn't it all boil down to "try to be open-minded when approaching something new and unknown because it's not necessarily hostile at all?"

14 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Just read the article again now, and i have to agree. "Jazz" reads more like a random example (maybe one that's a bit cliche-laden and is used as clickbait on the premise of "oh yeah, jazz - nobody understands that anyway ...")

The concert could have been just any concert way off the kind of music that youth would have preferred himself - classical, techno, whatever ...

I am not quite sure what the author wants to express in the "rest" of the article on such a wordy, overladen manner ... Doesn't it all boil down to "try to be open-minded when approaching something new and unknown because it's not necessarily hostile at all?"

Or perhaps, if you're going to make yourself miserable over an unknown, that's on you. Though, why the author allowed the kid to drag him down at the same time is beyond me. 

You guys crack me up!

Jazz is to blame for EVERYTHING, as it Rock and Roll, Hip-Hop, the waltz, the tango, you name it. If there's bad things to be blamed on music, the blame will be placed. In this case, the poor little emoboy got all emoed up about jazz, because, you know JAZZ!!! Poor little emoboy! :g Nobody had the old school adultness to tell him to just get over it, or even better, stay the fuck home if you're going to be that much of a drag.

I LOL'ed at the original article, and I LOL even harder since nobody seems to see the humor in yet another iteration of the historical inevitable. (and a bonus guffaw for one guy thinking there's a "religious" discussion underway).

You guys crack me up!

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You guys crack me up!

Nobody had the old school adultness to tell him to just get over it, or even better, stay the fuck home if you're going to be that much of a drag.

Happy to entertain. 

That was the thing I wasn't getting. If he's going to be a sullen little shit, tell him to go fuck himself. Don't allow his selfishness and pouting to become part of your reality. 

Dear Steve - the article itself was not a piece of humor, intentional or otherwise. What ws funny to me was the notion of some teenager being sent into a fit of UberAngst by the very notion of JAZZ!!!! BOOGA BOOGA!!!!

Jazz has all kinds of problems, but none of them should scare Little EmoBoys.

And that's what cracks me up, the notion that oh dear, we have a kid that is terrified by the notion of jazz, and then, no mention of how stupid a notion that is - for anything - but that there's a LIFE LESSON to be learned here, and it's not that don't be stupid about music - in this case, jazz - but to just work through it, go with your feelings. Hell, it's this boy's feelings that fucked him up to begin with. Teach that motherfucker some rational thought processes firt, THEN let him negotiate his "feelings".

Not meaning to minimalize the importance of feelings, of course, but gottdamm, you got a teenager getting fucked up because of a fear of jazz...feelings are NOT his problem!.

And you know, jazz causes interracial dating, maybe THAT'S what he's afraid of, the little neo-Nazi punk.

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dear Steve - the article itself was not a piece of humor, intentional or otherwise. What ws funny to me was the notion of some teenager being sent into a fit of UberAngst by the very notion of JAZZ!!!! BOOGA BOOGA!!!!

I know and I'd agree with you. But again - whatever I'd see funny about this emoboy (as you aptly characterize him) being scared out of his wits by the looming threat (?) of having to attend some oh so menacing jazz (of all musics :lol:) concert is really wiped out by the fact by people publicly indulging in such psycho navel gazing about "problems" like this that really just need a fair dose of common sense to sort out. Overanalyzing all this and finding a million excuses for everything is a sign of the times that I really feel is over the top - and enough to spoil the fun for me.

Edited by Big Beat Steve