Robert Caro

Brad

I'm sure many of you know that writer Robert Caro has spent the last 35 years plus writing a multi volumed biography of Lyndon Johnson that are simply incredible books and essential reading, in my opinion; my favorite is volume 1. The books are a fascinating look at power: acquiring it and using it.  

The concern has been that since Caro is 85 he might not finish the fifth and final volume, which looks at the remainder of his presidency, including Vietnam. 

Yesterday, he published an article in the New Yorker, which is a brief excerpt from his new book Working, coming out in April about how he does research, what he's learned and so forth. The article has some great stories about his research on the Johnson books. He also reveals that the last book is still several years away. 

The Secrets of Lyndon Johnson's Archives

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 10:19 AM, Brad said:

I'm sure many of you know that writer Robert Caro has spent the last 35 years plus writing a multi volumed biography of Lyndon Johnson that are simply incredible books and essential reading, in my opinion; my favorite is volume 1. The books are a fascinating look at power: acquiring it and using it.  

The concern has been that since Caro is 85 he might not finish the fifth and final volume, which looks at the remainder of his presidency, including Vietnam. 

Yesterday, he published an article in the New Yorker, which is a brief excerpt from his new book Working, coming out in April about how he does research, what he's learned and so forth. The article has some great stories about his research on the Johnson books. He also reveals that the last book is still several years away. 

The Secrets of Lyndon Johnson's Archives

Robert Caro’s new book is out today and he was interviewed at the New York Times’ Times Talks. It’s a fabulous conversation.