Sauter-Finegan "Memories of Goodman and Miller"

Larry Kart

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'll be looking forward to it. I wonder what exactly you file under "corny". Maybe some of the (comparatively straightforward) vocals ...? I know some ofthem don't do much for me in this context but I'd consider them a concession to some common denominators among the general public's taste.

I don't view "hep" and "corny" as opposite sides on a line, but rather as points on a circle.  You can get so corny that you are hep, e.g., Gordon Jenkins, and you can get so hep that you are corny, e.g., Stan Kenton.

As someone with a lot of jazz records and a lot of so-called EZ/mood music/space-age bachelor records, I can attest to the following:  Sometimes, when a jazz musician tries to make something commercial, the results are less interesting and less adventurous than what the overall  "commercial" artist might do.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to hear more stuff like that "Science Fiction" 45. That's the first S-F record that is in line with my hopes/expectations of their "project". Any increased exposure for that type of thing will be a public service, the next Jazz Government will propose giving you a grant for doing that.

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I just want to hear more stuff like that "Science Fiction" 45. That's the first S-F record that is in line with my hopes/expectations of their "project". Any increased exposure for that type of thing will be a public service, the next Jazz Government will propose giving you a grant for doing that.

It seems that "Science Fiction" was only on a 45, which is too bad, because it is indeed a gem.

Regarding the Jazz Government, I'm sure Wynton (M) would steal the election, and cut all Sauter-Finegan funding.

Just now, Teasing the Korean said:

Regarding the Jazz Government, I'm sure Wynton (M) would steal the election, and cut all Sauter-Finegan funding.

This new Jazz Government will prevent that from ever happening again. By any means necessary. You don't need the bullet when you got the ballot, but it's always good to have a Plan B (and that does not stand for Branford).

And truthfully, I'm not sure that S-F funding will be forthcoming. But here's your chance to make a proposal on the strengths, or the lack thereof, of the merits themselves.

• 2 weeks later...