Dave Liebman - Fire (Jazzline)

HutchFan

71AEarhsizL._SX495_.jpg

Dave Liebman - Fire (Jazzline, 2 CDs, released April 2018)
with Kenny Werner, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette

This isn't exactly a "new release" anymore, since it came out nine months ago. But I'm posting it here anyway -- because it likely flew under the radar of many Lieb fans, including me! I only discovered it yesterday.

I am STOKED. How about that supporting cast!!!  It's hard to imagine a heavier rhythm section. All four musicians are among my all-time favorites. :D 

Has anyone heard it? I haven't (yet) -- but it's going straight to the top of my "to get" list.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71AEarhsizL._SX495_.jpg

Dave Liebman - Fire (Jazzline, 2 CDs, released April 2018)
with Kenny Werner, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette

This isn't exactly a "new release" anymore, since it came out nine months ago. But I'm posting it here anyway -- because it likely flew under the radar of many Lieb fans, including me! I only discovered it yesterday.

I am STOKED. How about that supporting cast!!!  It's hard to imagine a heavier rhythm section. All four musicians are among my all-time favorites. :D 

Has anyone heard it? I haven't (yet) -- but it's going straight to the top of my "to get" list.

Thanks for the heads up.  Just ordered a copy

Actually I may order a copy soon.

Edited by CJ Shearn

1 hour ago, sambrasa said:

Liebman's albums flow under the radar easily, since he releases so many of them. This cast is almost the same as on "First Visit," one his 1st solo albums from 1973. (Richie Beirach instead of Kenny Werner.)  

R-6448221-1419479188-5078.jpeg.jpg

Yep, you're right, sambrasa. Liebman is incredibly prolific. I remember back in the 1980s David Murray seemed to release another record each week. Now Lieb's doing it.

That said, I get the sense that Fire is a special record, not just another one that Liebman "cranked out." He wrote all of the compositions. He brought in the heavyweight rhythm sections. From the outside, it has "major release" written all over it.

Then again, I haven't even heard the record (other than samples), so what the heck do I know?!??! ;) 

BTW: I hadn't made the connection with First Visit. Good call.

Edited by HutchFan