Happy Birthday, Benny Golson!

Justin V

Today is the great Benny Golson's 90th birthday.  I have been listening to him a lot since recently buying the Jazz Icons DVD of Art Blakey's '58 Jazz Messengers.  I last saw him live in 2017, my fifth time seeing him, and he still sounded fantastic.  Here's wishing him a very happy birthday, which he will be spending on The Jazz Cruise. 

Edited by Justin V

yes, they're the only two.

You can listen to Sonny Rollins interview at the below link.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/a-great-day-in-harlem-sonny-rollins-and-robert-benton-celebrate-60th-anniversary-of-the-iconic-jazz-photo-1.4999051?fbclid=IwAR2LDpjSPky0onpeuoQgSyt4bUSyR9aN4AIsb8bfqBcVx5xa8lLX3aMeozI

A Great Day in Harlem: Sonny Rollins and Robert Benton celebrate 60th anniversary of the iconic jazz photo

'It was a great day in Harlem indeed,' says jazz legend Sonny Rollins

Sixty years ago this month, Esquire magazine published its Golden Age of Jazz issue. Inside, plastered across two pages, was a photograph that would go on to become a pop culture artifact. It was called A Great Day in Harlem, by photographer Art Kane, and it brought together 57 jazz musicians in front of a New York apartment building.

Since that photo was taken, Kane and many of the musicians who appeared in the photo have died. Former Esquire magazine art director Robert Benton and one of the last two surviving subjects of the photo, saxophonist Sonny Rollins, take us back to the day of the shoot and discuss the lasting impact of A Great Day in Harlem.

Listen10:12

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, Justin V said:

Benny Golson is 91 today.  I just saw him last week with Emmet Cohen in Cincinnati.  Here's wishing him a happy birthday!

Indeed - Jimmy Heath's passing has had me going back to the December 2014 concert featuring Heath, Benny and Javon Jackson. Very glad that I can say I saw both of those legends. Here's hoping Benny is with us quite a bit longer.

• 11 months later...