New Etta Jones live at the Left Bank 1971

Stefan Wood

Also - note the rhythm section and the date. That trio was in peak form and working aplenty. Here, they do the same arrangement of Love Story that they do on Breakthrough, and it hits just as good a pocket here as it does there. And Etta's in great form, maybe not as locked-in as she would be once her comeback(?) gained traction a few years later, but that's a good thing to hear, imo. Not that there's anything wrong with the Muse/etc "formula", just that it's a reminder that she got there by choice, not out of necessity. But hell, I like her no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this and I am fucking pissed.

The liner notes credit me as working at the Library of Congress. This is an error that keeps following me that was created by an idiot Washington Post reporter. I have never worked there and never will.

Glad the Left Bank tapes are all being digitized, but I first tried to pitch this idea 25 years ago, when the tapes were in better shape.

Edited by bertrand

• Image result for an error in your favor could you use this as leverage to score some tape copies, for investment purposes- i propose a box set----- (god i hit one wrong button up above and the formatting got all screwed up)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • HANK MOBLEY QUINTET: (Probably) Famous Ballroom, Baltimore, MD (Recorded by the Left Bank Jazz Society), 11-28-65-- Hank Mobley (Tenor Sax), Johnny Coles (trumpet), Ruben Brown (Piano), Wilbur Little (Bass), Bertell Knox (Drums).

HANK MOBLEY QUARTET: Crystal Ballroom (Recorded by the Left Bank Jazz Society), 4-10-66-- Hank Mobley (Tenor Sax), McCoy Tyner (Piano), Eddie Marshall (Bass), Jack DeJohnette (Drums).

HANK MOBLEY QUINTET: (Probably) Madison Club, Baltimore, MD (Recorded by the Left Bank Jazz Society), 5-15-66-- Hank Mobley (Tenor Sax), Freddie Hubbard (Trumpet), Ronnie Matthews (Piano), Paul Chambers (Bass), Philly Joe Jones (Drums). 

---HANK MOBLEY // WYNTON KELLY GROUP: LEFT BANK 1970

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez