Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teasing the Korean

A Bachelor's Guide to Sauter-Finegan

109 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Last night I dreamed that I found two more Sauter-Finegan albums on RCA  that were not in the discography.  I can't remember the names of the albums, but I remember the cover art for one of them.

I actually DID find this one:

R-6613567-1484518011-1710.jpeg.jpg

The arrangements are totally inappropriate for the Ames Brothers, which makes for some gloriously WFT?!?!?!?! moments.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I actually DID find this one:

R-6613567-1484518011-1710.jpeg.jpg

The arrangements are totally inappropriate for the Ames Brothers, which makes for some gloriously WFT?!?!?!?! moments.

Isn't it amazing that you keep coming across records you'd never seen or heard of before?

Esquivel also had the misfortune of working with the Ames Brothers.

True story:  Back in the day, my Dad was offered a gig to do vocal arrangements for the Ames Brothers, before they'd hit it big.  He declined, saying that he didn't know how to arrange for four guys with the same vocal range! 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

"what f.ck the" moments?? :D

Whatchasayin'? ;)

wildly fractal trajectories! :g

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Isn't it amazing that you keep coming across records you'd never seen or heard of before?

Esquivel also had the misfortune of working with the Ames Brothers.

True story:  Back in the day, my Dad was offered a gig to do vocal arrangements for the Ames Brothers, before they'd hit it big.  He declined, saying that he didn't know how to arrange for four guys with the same vocal range! 

My dad was a big Ames Brothers fan for some reason...I think it was the bass voice always going babuhbubbuhbuh, seems that got his ear. He had this one record where they sang songs of other famous quartets or something like that. I still have it for sentimental reasons. That one was Hugo Winterhalter, and it memory serves (and it's gonna have to), there was not the perverse sense of Bill Finnegan mocking the Ames Brothers for being the Ames Brothers and RCA for paying him for these charts that's on this one.

Yeah, here that one is:

36541683340_414b544657_b.jpg

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

My dad was a big Ames Brothers fan for some reason...I think it was the bass voice always going babuhbubbuhbuh, seems that got his ear. 

My Dad was big on the Pied Pipers, the Hi-Los, and the Double Six of Paris.

Your dad was no doubt hipper than my dad, but your dad never put food on my table, so,,,:P

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Your dad was no doubt hipper than my dad, but your dad never put food on my table, so,,,:P

Just sayin'…not a hipness contest!  

I finally got a new cartridge for my turntable, so our Bachelor's Guide to Sauter-Finegan will resume soon.

It is important to note that I am still in rum cocktail season, meaning that I spin mostly wild Afro-Cuban drum records and exotica.  I transition from rum to Old Fashioneds sometime after Labor Day, so I will resume the Bachelor's Guide at that time.

It is crucial that music enhance one's choice of cocktails, and Sauter-Finegan generally doesn't work during rum season, unless it is "Eddie and the Witch Doctor," "10,000 Years BC," "Rain," or "Moonlight on the Ganges."  

On 10.8.2019 at 4:30 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I finally got a new cartridge for my turntable, so our Bachelor's Guide to Sauter-Finegan will resume soon.

Nice to read that someone likes the coverart of Jim Flora. I have bought all 4  of his coverart books . His drawings are as good as the music and SF ist just exact  the topic for his drawings.

Here is my humble collection:

CD    Sauter-Finegan    Directions in Music    1952-58    Bluebird    886406
CD    Sauter-Finegan    The Doodle Town Fifers "live"    1953-57    Dawe    80
     Sauter-Finegan    Inside Sauter-Finegan    1955    RCA    1003
     Sauter-Finegan    The Sons of Sauter - Finegan (Octet)    1955    RCA    1101
     Sauter-Finegan    Memories of Goodman and Miller    1958    RCA    1634
     Sauter-Finegan    Return of the Doodletown Fifers    1960    United Artists    2607691
     Sauter-Finegan    Lullabye Of The Leaves    1961    United Artists    3281
     Sauter-Finegan    POPS - Sauter- Finegan    1961    United Artists    8516

Edited by jazzcorner