ghost of miles

Mosaics you’re still on the hunt for

74 posts in this topic

Been picking them up (new & second hand) consistently since the early 90's so not that many on my "hit list" now with Stuff Smith #1 (disappeared quickly).

Really glad I have the Basie Roulette Studio plus the two Vee Jays (Morgan, Shorter, Kelly, Chambers, Strozier, Little etc)

Also would be nice to get the Shorty Rogers set plus the first two discs of the Giuffre box (anyone out there with duplicates?)

The Commodores would be fantastic but shipping costs to Australia for that set are astronomical (gone are the days of surface shipping) - never seen them second hand here

And of the course the Bill Barron & Joe Harriott sets.............. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent bought the Andrew Hill selects so I am done for the coming weeks. But still high on my want list are:

- Woody Shaw- The Muse Sessions

- Coleman Hawkins - Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For financial reasons, I missed the Armstrong 40s and 50s set. I have loved "Ambassador Satch" since the 50s, and I saw that lineup (Louis's best ever, in my opinion) live in 1955: Pops, Trummy, Ed Hall, Billy Kyle, Arvell Shaw and Barrett Deems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.1.2019 at 10:17 PM, kh1958 said:

I regret not purchasing the Ellington Capitol set.

Same here - I have CDRs of the music, but that's not the same thing. But I can wait. Same goes for the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basie Roullette Studio Recordings. I have the CDR's and would love to own the set, but way too much out of my price range at present. That might never change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Same goes for the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select.

One of those that was yanked in the ‘night of the long knives’. Managed to find it in London Oxford St HMV when they still had a specialist jazz dept. (sigh).

On 29/01/2019 at 5:10 AM, romualdo said:

 

The Commodores would be fantastic but shipping costs to Australia for that set are astronomical (gone are the days of surface shipping) - never seen them second hand here

And of the course the Bill Barron & Joe Harriott sets.............. 

Same here - you only rarely come across them over here, most copies being in the US and shipping of these behemoths long since prohibitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I'd gotten some of the Blues/R&B boxes (Charles Brown, Amos Milburn, Spann/Hopkins). I had all the Vee Jay stuff on cd already on Blue Moon, so I cheaped out and only got the booklets for the Shorter and Chambers box sets, but I should have gotten the Mosaics. Those were here and gone pretty fast! Oh yeah, and I somehow didn't get the Grant Green/Sonny Clark box (face slap!). Have the music on cd, but still.......

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The highest priority for me is the Maynard Ferguson set. I passed on some others in the early years, but have purchased most of the ones that I wanted along the way. Proud to say that I have all of the Mosaic Selects and Singles.

 

Edited by Ken Dryden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 2:03 PM, Tom 1960 said:

Basie Roullette Studio Recordings. I have the CDR's and would love to own the set, but way too much out of my price range at present. That might never change.

That is also my situation.  The same applies to the Morgan Shorter Vee Jay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday at the Dr jazz meeting a Wageningen (NL) I bought the Flip Philips Charlie Ventura Verve set for €60,-. I was not on the hunt for this but was on my nice  to have list. The Nat King Cole set went for €375,-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stroke lucky with the Basie Roulette Studio, but it cost a bit ...

One I'd love to get is the Quebec/Hardee, CD Version (LP version would be easier to find)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, king ubu said:

I stroke lucky with the Basie Roulette Studio, but it cost a bit ...

One I'd love to get is the Quebec/Hardee, CD Version (LP version would be easier to find)

I've gone back & forth on that Quebec/Hardee box many times over the years but I always come back to the fact that it just has too many alternate takes for my taste. One third of the set is alternate takes and they're programmed back to back, which I really hate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I've gone back & forth on that Quebec/Hardee box many times over the years but I always come back to the fact that it just has too many alternate takes for my taste. One third of the set is alternate takes and they're programmed back to back, which I really hate.

That way of programming is not something I appreciate a lot, but with CDs if you want it's pretty easy to skip ... are the takes in session order, or did BN by that time still not properly assign take numbers and nobody quite knows the correct sequence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I might want to go back and look at the Charles Brown set, so I did. So much for that idea...that shit be high!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 6:46 AM, JSngry said:

I thought I might want to go back and look at the Charles Brown set, so I did. So much for that idea...that shit be high!

Yes indeed, and the others ain't low!

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember sorting 100 plus sets for our customer in Japan when I got my first job in the music business.

Every month we ordered 100 or more for customers all over the world. I wish I stashed a couple away every time a new one came out.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles Davis Complete 1963-64 Columbia recordings, the vinyl set. Seems to be quite rare now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually could use the Jimmy Smith set if found at a decent price.  And the Ahmad Jamal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't need to but I would buy a few of the LP sets. I have the Commodores, the Monk, the McLean and the James P. Johnson et al, and Chaloff. . . would go for any of the others if I saw prices that weren't astronomical.

Of CD sets I think I'm really only looking for the Vee-Jay Morgan and Shorter. I would love to have this to give to my brother as a gift as he loves these two and the Dee-Jay work and has Blue Moon titles. . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had about 20-30 copies of both Charles Tolliver Selects -- just to give to well-deserving people over the next 20 years.

Cuz it's a crime his core albums (CD's) are expensive as heck, and hard to come by.

I've got both, but I can think of 3-4 people I'd gift copies to, if I had the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I wish I had about 20-30 copies of both Charles Tolliver Selects -- just to give to well-deserving people over the next 20 years.

Cuz it's a crime his core albums (CD's) are expensive as heck, and hard to come by.

I've got both, but I can think of 3-4 people I'd gift copies to, if I had the chance.

I never did get my hands on either of these despite at one time having about 80% of the Select series. I am very much in the market for both of them, however they seem to be, with the exception of the Pendulum set, the most expensive ones secondhand.

Edited by colinmce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I don't need to but I would buy a few of the LP sets. I have the Commodores, the Monk, the McLean and the James P. Johnson et al, and Chaloff. . . would go for any of the others if I saw prices that weren't astronomical.

Of CD sets I think I'm really only looking for the Vee-Jay Morgan and Shorter. I would love to have this to give to my brother as a gift as he loves these two and the Dee-Jay work and has Blue Moon titles. . . .

PM sent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Larry, I replied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have looking on & off for a reasonably-priced vinyl copy of the Horace Parlan Set. I have the CD set so it's not that I need the music. It's just that I think I'd play it more if it were the vinyl set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.