Mosaics you’re still on the hunt for

With the Basie Roulette studio box and Jones-Lewis set on their way now, I’m down to one: the DeFranco-Clark set (which I have CD-Rs of, plus a Xerox of the booklet—but it’d be nice to actually have the set itself). Which set or sets, OOP or otherwise, do you keep an eye out for these days?

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect to eventually pick up/fall into the Basie Roulettes, the Candid Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins, the Decca Studio Recordings of Louis Armstrong and the All Stars, the Complete Aladdin Recordings of Charles Brown, Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions, the Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956-61, the Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions, + the forthcoming Bill Barron & Basie post-Roulette pre-Pablo sets.

None of these I'm going out of the way or too far into the pocket for, with the possible exceptions of the Louis & the Hodges. They both got away from me before there was responsible cash on hand.

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just Commodore Vol 3. No rush.

D’oh! I forgot about the Commodores. I lucked into a super-cheap copy of V. 1 a few years ago and would love to pick up 2 and 3 at some point, even though I’m not much of a vinyl person at all. Which is also why I’ve dropped the LP-only Hodges 1951-55 from my list—I have all of the music on CD, and the booklet is disappointing IMO (we have a copy in the station library). 

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

With the Basie Roulette studio box and Jones-Lewis set on their way now, I’m down to one: the DeFranco-Clark set (which I have CD-Rs of, plus a Xerox of the booklet—but it’d be nice to actually have the set itself). Which set or sets, OOP or otherwise, do you keep an eye out for these days?

How much did you pay for Thad & Mel? That's one I still want, even though I have long had all of the music except a couple unreleased tracks in other formats; I also have a copy of Bill Kirchner's notes. I should have never passed on this the first time around. Same with the Decca Armstrong set.

13 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

How much did you pay for Thad & Mel? That's one I still want, even though I have long had all of the music except a couple unreleased tracks in other formats; I also have a copy of Bill Kirchner's notes. I should have never passed on this the first time around. Same with the Decca Armstrong set.

$140 for a set in VG++ condition.  I have a lot of the music as well--30 of the 42 tracks overall--but I don't have the booklet, and I'm such a fan of that band that it's long been on my to-get list.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just Commodore Vol 3. No rush.

This post (well, and this thread, for which I have no one to blame but myself) just cost me $135.  :lol:  (For V. 2, which seems like a good price.  V. 3 will undoubtedly prove to be more elusive, if previous comments I've read about its relative rarity compared to the first two are true.)

Edited by ghost of miles

38 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I'd like the Andrew Hill Complete Blue Note box (some of the constituent discs are pricey/rare), narrowly missed some months ago, but the price has gone too high.

I've got all the individual discs, so I don't need my complete Hill BN '63-66 box any more (one of the first 3 Mosaic sets I ever bought, back around 1995, iirc).  But there's a wrinkle.  I had Andrew autograph my Mosaic booklet (the one time I heard Andrew up in Iowa City, in 2003).

I could probably be persuaded to part with the whole set (and box), but I'd prefer to keep the booklet.  If interested, I wouldn't ask a crazy premium for the set -- in fact, I would be glad actually "sell" the set for the *100% benefit* of the Organissimo board (in other words, you wouldn't pay me -- you'd *pay Jim directly, i.e. make a confirm-able board donation* for whatever price we can agree on.  Then I'll pay the postage to send it to you out of my own pocket.

Not sure what price to ask, though I promise it'll be fair (but not bargain-basement, since I'm trying to encourage a donation to the cost of running this board, and since I'm not looking for one penny out of the transaction myself).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I've got all the individual discs, so I don't need my complete Hill BN '63-66 box any more (one of the first 3 Mosaic sets I ever bought, back around 1995, iirc).  But there's a wrinkle.  I had Andrew autograph my Mosaic booklet (the one time I heard Andrew up in Iowa City, in 2003).

I could probably be persuaded to part with the whole set (and box), but I'd prefer to keep the booklet.  If interested, I wouldn't ask a crazy premium for the set -- in fact, I would be glad actually "sell" the set for the *100% benefit* of the Organissimo board (in other words, you wouldn't pay me -- you'd *pay Jim directly, i.e. make a confirm-able board donation* for whatever price we can agree on.  Then I'll pay the postage to send it to you out of my own pocket.

Not sure what price to ask, though I promise it'll be fair (but not bargain-basement, since I'm trying to encourage a donation to the cost of running this board, and since I'm not looking for one penny out of the transaction myself).

Sure, I'd go for that (PM sent). Thanks! If you decide on a price, let me know. OTOH, I have to opine that if it's for Organissimo's benefit, some kind of auction might well be better for them.

14 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Sure, I'd go for that (PM sent). Thanks! If you decide on a price, let me know. OTOH, I have to opine that if it's for Organissimo's benefit, some kind of auction might well be better for them.

PM just returned!  Let me think about an asking price, and get back to you.  I've long run out of shelf-space in our 1BR apartment, and I've been meaning to thin the herd (thin "the heard") for some time, and it's been a while since I donated.

The one set I’ve been kicking myself for waiting too long to order is the Anthony Braxton Complete Arista. I just kept putting it off, which is something I didn’t usually do. Although, and I can’t really remember now, but there may have been a few other sets I was budgeting for at the time, only to not have had a reliable strategy when trying to decide what would go OOP first. I think this was during a time when I was probably budgeting for three of four sets in a year, and I was still picking and choosing.

Others were OOP long before I got started or even knew about Mosaic, but I’ve managed to fill in many of those holes. So, yep, the Braxton is the one that got away.

14 minutes ago, Dharmajazz said:

The one set I’ve been kicking myself for waiting too long to order is the Anthony Braxton Complete Arista. I just kept putting it off, which is something I didn’t usually do.

I also have a Braxton set that I really need to reinvestigate.  It may be one I could part with, but I make no promises!  I do know that I haven't listened to it nearly enough.  Check back with me in a few months about it (feel free to bug me about it).  If I do decide to let it go, it'd be under the same plan I detailed above for the Andrew Hill -- 100% of the proceeds going directly to the Board -- directly to Jim, via a donation towards keeping this place afloat (and I'd pay the postage to send it).  And in the case of the Braxton, the book would be included (no autograph issues there).

Oh that’s really cool of you! Don’t sweat it; enjoy it, and dig into it. Sometimes I forget about something, only to revisit it later- and bam- I sort of get stuck on it for a long time, to the extent where I don’t listen to much else. Lol

I’m new on here, but I think we’ve traded before, maybe like twenty years ago, on the old Blue Note site! I did a lot of trading, buying selling on there. Still chasing these crazy sessions! 

-Gary

There are a few I still want; I notice that the ones I don't have illustrate changes in my tastes (and finances) in the last couple of decades 

107 The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings of Ike Quebec and John Hardee 

109 The Complete Edmond Hall/James P. Johnson/Sidney De Paris/Vic Dickenson Blue Note Sessions

114 The Complete Art Hodes Blue Note Sessions

121 The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions of Ike Quebec

132 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of George Lewis 

159 The Phil Woods Quartet/Quintet 20th Anniversary Set

149 The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra

I would likely be willing to sell the following (all CD) for a fair price.  PM if interested in any:

- Tal Farlow

- Thad Jones (50's)

- Max Roach

- Modern Jazz Quartet

- Hank Mobley

- Sonny Stitt

- Gerald Wilson

- Woody Herman select

Edited by felser

10 hours ago, Dharmajazz said:

The one set I’ve been kicking myself for waiting too long to order is the Anthony Braxton Complete Arista. I just kept putting it off, which is something I didn’t usually do. Although, and I can’t really remember now, but there may have been a few other sets I was budgeting for at the time, only to not have had a reliable strategy when trying to decide what would go OOP first. I think this was during a time when I was probably budgeting for three of four sets in a year, and I was still picking and choosing.

Others were OOP long before I got started or even knew about Mosaic, but I’ve managed to fill in many of those holes. So, yep, the Braxton is the one that got away.

PM sent.