Mosaics you’re still on the hunt for

I have an extra set of the LP of the DeFranco Clark set I tried to sell for the price I paid for it (bought it by accident thinking it was the cd set) earlier this year and got no bites. Can't be that rare. . . I re-priced it a bit lower (100 I think) and still no takers. I think it would be very hard to find at less than that--but it's out there.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might even have an extra copy of DeFranco Clark myself but will have to check !

The Commodore Vol III was the last ‘biggie’ that I wanted/got hold of - managed to get a near mint copy for a good price. Not too many other sets I want/need, although the forthcoming Tristano is on the list. The limiting factor is how many black boxes can you fit in your house. :lol:

That's what storage units are for! I have all three Commodore sets, a treasure trove. I have nearly every one of the sets I want. I want another copy of the Morgan-Shorter Vee Jay set for a friend. . . but I don't want to spend too much, which is a non-sequitur. One of these days I may break down and do so.

22 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have an extra set of the LP of the DeFranco Clark set I tried to sell for the price I paid for it (bought it by accident thinking it was the cd set) earlier this year and got no bites. Can't be that rare. . . I re-priced it a bit lower (100 I think) and still no takers. I think it would be very hard to find at less than that--but it's out there.

I think the CDs are harder to find and command a higher price. I, too, nearly purchased an LP set that I thought was CD on eBay but was able to back out (I don't have a turntable). I'll get it one of these days!

I wouldn't mind getting the Quebec/Hardee CD and the Jimmy Smith CD set if they were at good prices, but I don't want to go all crazy for them.  In general, I have gone the opposite direction, selling off Mosaic boxes as I am able to replace them with other CD issues.  Next up to sell is the Stanley Turrentine, and I'd move the Gerald Wilson and the Sonny Stitt for fair prices.  I like the Select's better, but have even sold off a fair number of them.

Edited by felser

33 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Have you tried getting in touch with Mosaic? I believe that they still have a good many booklets on many sets. Talking to Scott the other day about another matter, he told me that they still had booklets for the Atlantic Tristano-Konitx-Marsh set that I wrote the notes for.

Hi, Larry.  I've posed a question to you in the thread about the upcoming Mosaic Tristano box: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/86711-some-previously-unreleased-lennie-tristano-is-in-the-works-now-from-stamford/&do=findComment&comment=1766264

14 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I have those on LP. Very nice stuff.

As was mentioned above, LP sets tend to go for less bucks than CD sets. I paid very little for these sets.

whereas with some of the releases the opposite has been true ie Miles Davis Columbia Mosaic on vinyl commands big bucks (the CDs were released by Columbia/Sony & don't cost that much in most cases). 

25 minutes ago, romualdo said:

whereas with some of the releases the opposite has been true ie Miles Davis Columbia Mosaic on vinyl commands big bucks (the CDs were released by Columbia/Sony & don't cost that much in most cases). 

Very glad I picked all of those up when available - and the Bill Evans. 

Higher prices on deFranco/Clark CD version probably reflective of scarcity vs the LP version.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

ZWc.jpeg

This was one of the sets I missed, and I finally found a copy from a French seller at a reasonable price. Should arrive here within a week.

That was one of the ones that suddenly disappeared on the ‘Friday night of the long knives’ I think. Remember finding a copy at HMV London a few days later, with relief.

September 9, 2009

New Mosaic Select Releases

We've all become accustomed to bad news for the past five years, both in the United States and globally and in the arts as well as the world economy. But what we just discovered is a first in bad news for Mosaic Records. 

Each of our sets is manufactured by the label that owns and licenses to us the masters contained in the set. One of our major licensors changed pressing plants for the tens of thousands of titles it manufactures. Unfortunately a number of Mosaic titles (mostly Selects) were deleted and all of the components and masters were destroyed in process. 

Mosaic Records cannot afford to remaster and remanufacture components for the remaining run of these titles and due to contractual issues there is no relief from the responsible parties. We have no choice but to prematurely retire these titles. For some, we still have some inventory. But for others, we are forced to tell you without warning that we are out of stock and these titles will never be available again. 

As champions of the completist concept, we know how important collecting a complete set of releases is and heartfully apologize for this set of circumstances.

Limited Inventory Available

215.jpg             227.jpg

The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions (#215)

"Hear Donaldson in such an orgiastic feast as this, and he becomes something of a monster player - gorgeous sound, capable of playing in all manners of contexts and always dripping with such blues-based earthiness..." - Jeff Simon, Buffalo News

6 CDs - $96

The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington Recordings (#227)

"No matter what she sang, Dinah operated by a simple philosophy: 'When you get inside of a tune, the soul in you should just come out. You should just be able to step back and let that soul come right out.'" - Nadine Cohodas, liner notes

5 CDs - $85

ms003.jpg     ms006.jpg     MS007.jpg

MS008.jpg     ms010.jpg      ms019.jpg

Mosaic Select: Bennie Green (MS-003)

"His execution is clearly defined, non-exhibitionistic and liberally impregnated with the devices and characteristic phrasing of the be-bop style, yet he always manages to retain something of the real jam session atmosphere." - Raymond Horricks 

3 CDs - $44

Mosaic Select: John Patton (MS-006)

"This set came into being as a result of a desire to celebrate and make available the first three John Patton albums that Blue Note released: Along Came John, The Way I Feel and Oh Baby! These were a pretty heady triumvirate with which to launch a solo career." - Michael Cuscuna, liner notes

3 CDs - $44

Mosaic Select: Curtis Amy (MS-007)

Texas tenorman Curtis Amy had a long and distinguished career as a jazz artist, studio musician and record executive. During his years with Pacific Jazz, he recorded six superb albums that revealed an artist who constantly challenged himself as an improviser and as a composer.

3 CDs - $44

Mosaic Select: Duke Pearson (MS-008)

Duke Pearson's watermark runs through Blue Note's output in the '60s. As a recording artist, he led lyrical trios, soulful sextets and a roaring big band. But his final Blue Note sessions showed his palate expanding to embrace Brazilian rhythms and melodies and impressionistic harmonies.

3 CDs - $44

Mosaic Select: Bud Shank/Bob Cooper (MS-010)

"...the cool tag can be pretty safely applied to Bud Shank and Bob Cooper. Both were West-Coasters who served apprenticeships with Stan Kenton and both employed lightly swinging rhythm sections and all kinds of arranging devices." - Christopher Loudon, JazzTimes

3 CDs - $44

Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Piano Trios (MS-019)

"The six tracks that represent virtually the entire legacy of Richard Twardzik as leader are of special interest, but the set succeeds on the strength of the contributions of Freeman and Fischer." - Duck Baker, Coda

3 CDs - $44

The following titles are no longer available:

Mosaic Select: Bob Brookmeyer (MS-009)

Mosaic Select: Don Pullen (MS-013)

Mosaic Select: Dexter Gordon (MS-014)

Mosaic Select: Art Pepper (MS-015)

Mosaic Select: Johnny Richards (MS-017)

Mosaic Select: Freddie Select (MS-018)

Freddie Select!!!???????