Cats are Troublemakers...

It is cold and rainy here, and we hadn't seen our outdoor cat for almost 24 hours. We were calling her last night and this morning to feed her, and she was nowhere.

A short time ago, my wife got in her car to visit her mother, and she called me five minutes later: "There is something screaming in my car!"

The cat must have gotten in the car yesterday afternoon when we were unloading groceries. She was freaked and and huddled under the front passenger seat. Miraculously, she did not pee in the car.

She is currently eating on the front porch and howling.

Cats are troublemakers.

My late cat (she lasted 19 years) disappeared one day while we were having some work completed on our new home.  Some workers had been at the house earlier in the day installing a tub and had begun to cement in come large tiles that would cover the sides of the base.  A few remaining tiles had been set in place but had not been cemented.  On a hunch, I removed the tiles, looked underneath, but couldn't see anything.  So I left the tiles to the side and retreated to another area.  Ten minutes later she reappeared.  She had clearly been underneath hiding in a corner.  

8 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

My late cat (she lasted 19 years) disappeared one day while we were having some work completed on our new home.  Some workers had been at the house earlier in the day installing a tub and had begun to cement in come large tiles that would cover the sides of the base.  A few remaining tiles had been set in place but had not been cemented.  On a hunch, I removed the tiles, looked underneath, but couldn't see anything.  So I left the tiles to the side and retreated to another area.  Ten minutes later she reappeared.  She had clearly been underneath hiding in a corner.  

It's like an episode of Dark Shadows with Barnabas getting bricked in alive in the basement!  Glad you found her!  And 19 is a good long life for a kitty!

My cat, a long hair black old lady, disappeared one night. Everything as usual, she wanted to go outside so I opened the door, expecting to see her in the morning. I never saw her again, I think she went to die somewhere far from me, this is a different attitude of cats compared to humans. I still miss her.

2 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

My cat, a long hair black old lady, disappeared one night. Everything as usual, she wanted to go outside so I opened the door, expecting to see her in the morning. I never saw her again, I think she went to die somewhere far from me, this is a different attitude of cats compared to humans. I still miss her.

Yes, I'm so sorry.  We had a cat who did the same thing.  

our Noodles is an indoor cat, about 4 years old, and the love of my life. Though I'd had roommates with cats before and a girlfriend long ago who had a pair, as an adult I hadn't had a pet until a couple years ago when we got her from a shelter. She's changed my life in every way. and she's a sweetheart of sweethearts.

We have three cats and we feed an outdoor cat. We’re not sure it’s a wild cat or belongs to someone but he/she sure eats a lot. The other night he come around 1130 and when I didn’t feed him fast enough he hissed at me and tried to bite my shoe. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

1 hour ago, Brad said:

We have three cats and we feed an outdoor cat. We’re not sure it’s a wild cat or belongs to someone but he/she sure eats a lot. The other night he come around 1130 and when I didn’t feed him fast enough he hissed at me and tried to bite my shoe. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Now see, yeah, that's an ungrateful fucker right there. We are getting  urban coyotes where we live. If that cat did that to me, I'd drop a dime on its ass with the next coyote I saw so fast that it wouldn't be funny.

40 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now see, yeah, that's an ungrateful fucker right there. We are getting  urban coyotes where we live. If that cat did that to me, I'd drop a dime on its ass with the next coyote I saw so fast that it wouldn't be funny.

That’s not the first time either he’s tried to take a whack at us. We’ve tried to get him to come inside but no dice. 

35 minutes ago, Brad said:

That’s not the first time either he’s tried to take a whack at us. We’ve tried to get him to come inside but no dice. 

He hisses and bites and you're trying to get him inside?

We have a "barn" cat that is supposed to take care of any rats or other small furries near the horses - too wild for a lot of human interaction but we do feed him whenever he shows up which is pretty regularly and he's a helluva lot more grateful.  Often he runs alongside on the way to the barn or crosses in front of you and winds around your leg. He tolerates a stroke on the side but that's really it.

He's a gem, and quite a fresser, demanding to be fed on schedule or else. I dubbed him Baby because I'd never known a cat who craved human contact so much. Got him from a shelter back in 2008; when I'd lie in bed reading he'd typically sit purring on my chest between me and the book. Now he has to share the manse with Scout (below),  -- a corgi/bull terrier/dalmatian combo (so her DNA test said) who arrived about four years ago. They get along.

IMG_20181225_105142622.jpg

23 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I dubbed him Baby because I'd never known a cat who craved human contact so much. Got him from a shelter back in 2008; when I'd lie in bed reading he'd typically sit purring on my chest between me and the book. 

That sounds very much like Amelie, although she’s adjusted to my bedtime reading habits by lying across my abdomen, behind the book instead of between it and my face, until I’m ready to go to sleep. The primary difficulty now comes when she attempts to sit on my lap (which occurs regularly) while I’m in my chair reading a medium or larger-sized book. Her version of lapsitting occupies most of my chest and is most conducive to either cellphone gazing or smaller books, such as Oxford’s VSI series. Active discouragement and forced cat-to-sofa transfers have been known to occur from time to time. 

I am a cat person through and through.  In the immortal words of Mary Weiss, cats are "good-bad, but not evil".  Ours is Aisha, who sits on my lap and then sleeps under the covers with us on cold nights.  She is a total joy.

aisha_2.jpg

Edited by felser