West Coast Revivalists

Chuck Nessa

I was in either Disney World or Universal StudiosOrlando and there was some area of the park recreating SF wharfworld or whatever it was. The ambient music in the area was all Watters/Murphy or thereabouts until for some reason there was a crack in time & Brubeck/Desmond happened for a few minutes. And then it went back, went like it came. Didn't take me too long to realize that the park had partnered with Fantasy at some level. That was a fun thing to have happen!

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I was in either Disney World or Universal StudiosOrlando and there was some area of the park recreating SF wharfworld or whatever it was. The ambient music in the area was all Watters/Murphy or thereabouts until for some reason there was a crack in time & Brubeck/Desmond happened for a few minutes. And then it went back, went like it came. Didn't take me too long to realize that the park had partnered with Fantasy at some level. That was a fun thing to have happen!

Some history no one asked for:

Walt Disney picked Dixieland/New Orleans/West Coast Revival/whatevs music for (part of) DIsneyland. New Orleans Square (with the Blue Bayou and the entrance to Pirates of the Caribbean) had trad bands from the very beginning in the mid-fifties, and still has some form of early jazz playing over speakers most of the time. The trad bands have mostly moved to Disney California's Adventure or to Downtown Disney—I know The Reynolds Brothers play there.

And Fantasy makes sense. Good Time Jazz eventually ended up in the Fantasy catalogue, and GTJ was founded to issue music by the Firehouse Five Plus Two, which was a trad band made up of Disney Animators.

The Stanford archive has some really cool things; one of the curators is a friend and he's waxed poetic. I have the impression that the choice of materials presented on the site isn't entirely up to the curators (oh irony), though.

Edited by lipi

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This is an interesting resource sent by a friend: https://exhibits.stanford.edu/sftjf

Wow, thanks much for posting this.  I did a bit of digging into this history a couple of months ago when I was working on that Night Lights San Francisco episode and will add this link to the web-post.