Dexter Gordon on Steeplechase question

ghost of miles

Has Steeplechase ever done any(?) compilations that draw from among multiple albums? -- for any artist?

(If they have, I'm certainly unaware of it.)

My sense is that darn near EVERY Steeplechase CD I think(?) I've ever seen, have all been single sessions all recorded on the same day (or maybe a couple days in a row).  IIRC.

12 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Has Steeplechase ever done any(?) compilations that draw from among multiple albums? -- for any artist?

(If they have, I'm certainly unaware of it.)

My sense is that darn near EVERY Steeplechase CD I think(?) I've ever seen, have all been single sessions all recorded on the same day (or maybe a couple days in a row).  IIRC.

You may well be correct.  The best solution for anybody not wanting to go whole-hog on the box set may be to pick two or three of the better albums from that period.  I've been thinking about revisiting the trio/quartet box anyway, since I'm about to get to that period in Maxine Gordon's new biography.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I have a friend who's looking for a good compilation of Dexter's recordings for Steeplechase.  I mentioned the trio and quartet box set to him, but has there ever been a single or double CD or LP anthology of Gordon's work for the label?  My initial searches didn't seem to turn up one.  

Don`t think so ....

The box set, IMHO, is not optimal.  It only includes his trio & quartet studio dates for Steeplechase.  It excludes: larger groups (such as the Dexter/Benny Bailey Quintet), the orchestral date, the burning live dates from the seventies, and the archival live dates from the sixties.

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No, Steeplechase never went that route.  

I know there was a thread about his Steeplechase recordings.

I wasn't able to find one--only some very short threads about new Steeplechase releases and two devoted to the box-set--but the longer thread consisted almost entirely of shipping/purchase or other comments, and the shorter one was mostly general endorsements of the box itself.  This topic, however, is making me realize that there's a lot of Dexter on Steeplechase that I need to track down... all that I have besides the trio/quartet box seems to be More Than You Know and the 1973 Montmartre Summit with Jackie McLean.

1 minute ago, ghost of miles said:

I wasn't able to find one--only some very short threads about new Steeplechase releases and two devoted to the box-set--but the longer thread consisted almost entirely of shipping/purchase or other comments, and the shorter one was mostly general endorsements of the box itself.  This topic, however, is making me realize that there's a lot of Dexter on Steeplechase that I need to track down... all that I have besides the trio/quartet box seems to be More Than You Know and the 1973 Montmartre Summit with Jackie McLean.

DO NOT MISS the 3 volumes of Swiss Nights.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

the orchestral date...

What's the orchestral date?  I have to admit, I don't have a plethora of Dex in my collection.

I may have to investigate the one with Benny Bailey too -- little by little I keep getting more Bailey in my collection, here and there, which always makes me open to getting more with him.

25 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

What's the orchestral date?  I have to admit, I don't have a plethora of Dex in my collection.

I may have to investigate the one with Benny Bailey too -- little by little I keep getting more Bailey in my collection, here and there, which always makes me open to getting more with him.

Orchestral date:

71tKxN2wTCL._SL1050_.jpg

There are actually three with Benny Bailey:

51JoEhqsq9L.jpg51GwxwgJUFL.jpg41RB0EJm4iL.jpg

These are the SteepleChases I have in my collection and recommend them all:

Billie’s Bounce – SteepleChase 36028 (Volume 7, Dexter in Radioland)

It’s You Or No One – SteepleChase 36022 (Volume 6, Dexter in Radioland)

I Want More – SteepleChase 36015 (Volume 4, Dexter in Radioland)

King Neptune – SteepleChase 36012 (Volume 3, Dexter in Radioland)

Loose Walk – SteepleChase SCCD 36032

Love for Sale – SteepleChase 

Misty – SteepleChase 36033

The Shadow of Your Smile – SteepleChase 31206

Swiss Nights Volume 1 – SteepleChase 31050

Swiss Nights Volume 2 – SteepleChase 31090

12 hours ago, Brad said:

These are the SteepleChases I have in my collection and recommend them all:

Billie’s Bounce – SteepleChase 36028 (Volume 7, Dexter in Radioland)

It’s You Or No One – SteepleChase 36022 (Volume 6, Dexter in Radioland)

I Want More – SteepleChase 36015 (Volume 4, Dexter in Radioland)

King Neptune – SteepleChase 36012 (Volume 3, Dexter in Radioland)

Loose Walk – SteepleChase SCCD 36032

Love for Sale – SteepleChase 

Misty – SteepleChase 36033

The Shadow of Your Smile – SteepleChase 31206

Swiss Nights Volume 1 – SteepleChase 31050

Swiss Nights Volume 2 – SteepleChase 31090

You`re missing "Lullaby For A Monster" (SCCD 31156) - for me one of Dexter Godon`s best hours on SteepleChase ....

57 minutes ago, Brad said:

I know I’m missing a couple of very desirable recordings but you can’t have everything. 

So true. And, more importantly, no one person can possible absorb and know everything that's out there -- even if you happen to have it in your collection! Of course that's a wonderful "problem." For all practical purposes, our musical explorations are never-ending.

. . . But you really should check out Lullaby for a Monster!!! ;););)