Dexter Gordon on Steeplechase question

ghost of miles

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, that's one that seems to be recommended. I got it after Chuck suggested it out a few years ago. It IS a monster of a record@ Maybe it gets (relatively) overlooked is that it's a trio record?

Me being a sucker for the stripped down b + dr structure it was more of a motivation though .... Dexter Gordon made excellent recordings with Tete Montoliu, Barry Barris and Kenny Drew for SteepleChase, but "Monster" is a beauty ....

Edited by soulpope

On 1/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, mjzee said:

The box set, IMHO, is not optimal.  It only includes his trio & quartet studio dates for Steeplechase.  It excludes: larger groups (such as the Dexter/Benny Bailey Quintet), the orchestral date, the burning live dates from the seventies, and the archival live dates from the sixties.

IMHO you should tell your friend to go ahead and buy the box set and all the live sessions. He is going to end up there anyway! hahaha :) They are all excellent.

That's what I did anyway. Bought a few singles. Then, I bought the box.  Then I realized it did not include the live stuff. Ended up with all of those as well. Dexter is great in all of the periods. The Steeplechase stuff is some of my favorite along with some of the late Columbia dates with Woody.

Enjoy the journey!!

15 hours ago, Brad said:

I know I’m missing a couple of very desirable recordings but you can’t have everything. 

Same with me, have most of the 1964 "Dexter in Radioland" albums, the 3 "Swiss Nights", and the last one "Bitin´the Apple" but also think that I can´t have everything.

• 1 year later...

Going through the SteepleChase Dexters I bought recently from Tommy...this one is great:

candlelight-lady.jpg

As Neil Tesser's liner notes point out, this was just an ordinary night at the Montmartre in 1974; Dexter was a last-minute replacement for a cancellation.  The only real difference is Ed Thigpen on drums (Tesser thinks Thigpen doesn't have the drive of other drummers such as Alex Riel and Tootie Heath, but I think Thigpen's relaxed nature adds to the nice vibe).  Typical set list for the time, yet this feels like a magical evening.  The listener is drawn in; you feel like you're at the club.  Sound quality is excellent, and it's a full 60 minutes (as opposed to the 45 minutes of the Sixties' radio releases).  Recommended.

• 1 year later...

Given the sidemen, and checking Thorbjørn Sjøgren’s discography of Dexter, that must be:

24 February 1963 - Danish Radio Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark

with Axen, NHØP and Schioppfe

-Three O’Clock In The Morning

-Soul Sister 

-Night In Tunisia

1 August 1963 - Molde Kino - Molde Jazz Festival, Norway 

with Iversen, Amundsen and Christensen 

-Scrapple From The Apple

That would would make roughly 40 minutes, though.

Edited by EKE BBB

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Given the sidemen, and checking Thorbjørn Sjøgren’s discography of Dexter, that must be:

24 February 1963 - Danish Radio Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark

with Axen, NHØP and Schioppfe

-Three O’Clock In The Morning

-Soul Sister 

-Night In Tunisia

1 August 1963 - Molde Kino - Molde Jazz Festival, Norway 

with Iversen, Amundsen and Christensen 

-Scrapple From The Apple

That would would make roughly 40 minutes, though.

Yeah, this was around the time when Dexter made his classic BN album "Our Man in Paris" with Bud, one of the greatest "bop revivals" after the 40´s. He also played "Tunisia" and "Scrapple" on that. 

About the Steeple Chase: When I was young and we were a group of big Dexter Fans, I purchased all those Steeple Chase "Dexter in Radioland" , things like "Cry Me a River", "Cheese Cake", "I Want More" and so on, but at some point I stopped. 

• 4 months later...
On 2021/12/16 at 9:58 AM, mjzee said:

Release date March 15; no additional info available:

71RxyKQRA4L._SL1417_.jpg

Now this music is available on Spotify.  I guess some of you think there are already too much Dex, but I found this is quite enjoyable.  Seems 1962 or 63 was the apex of Dex's long career.

2 hours ago, mhatta said:

Now this music is available on Spotify.  I guess some of you think there are already too much Dex, but I found this is quite enjoyable.  Seems 1962 or 63 was the apex of Dex's long career.

What are the titles on the CD, and how long is it?  Dusty Groove now shows the release date as May 25.

Just had the opportunity to hear Soul Sister.   Dexter is in great form throughout!  It is easy to ignore the numerous new SteepleChase Dexter releases that keep appearing, as some of them have increasingly contained marginal material as the barrel of unreleased Dexter in Europe nears the bottom.   But this one is exceptional.   I recommend it highly. 

The interesting thing is that so many Dexter live in Copenhagen came out after the first series (those from 1964). I had and still have those "I want more", "King Neptune" "Cheesecake" and to a lesser amount the first one "Cry me a River" (where I only liked the title ballad, since "April" sounds very weak, and the side without Dexter didn´t really interest me). 
But I eventually stopped collecting them. I had invited an american jazz musician with whom I had the honour to play,  to have dinner at my home and when  when he browsed through my  "collection" and said "Dexter, Dexter, Dexter, Dexter" he told me that a few significant Dexter albums is very fine, but with the money you might also get others to study them and to enlarge my horizont, I thought he is right and so I didn´t continue. Maybe I lost the trace, but is it true that the later Steeplechase albums were not as well advertised as the first one had been ? 
Right now my Dexter Collection is the Savoy 45-47, the Dial with Wardell Gray, the BN´s "Go" and "Man in Paris", the CBS  "Homecoming" and "Manhattan Symphony" ....