Spiritual Jazz series: V. 9 on the way

ghost of miles

The focus this time’s on Blue Note artists:

Spiritual Jazz V. 9: Blue Notes

I’m guessing that those of us with an interest in this series may already have most, if not all, of the music that will be included. (As opposed to previous volumes, where it’s rare indeed, at least in my case, that I have *any* of the material included.) But I’m still going to pick it up, because these titles are so well done.

Here's the track listing (below).  I think I have about 90% of this stuff on CD already, but I will also probably pick up a copy since I've loved all of the previous volumes in this series, and it'll be interesting to see how the liners treat this material (their liners are often pretty nicely written).  Also don't mind "voting" with my pocketbook for the continuation of this series, which I've loved.

One VERY nice inclusion -- is the very last track, Solomon Ilori's 13-minute "Song of Praise To God", one of 3 long bonus tracks from 1964 which were previously exclusive to the expanded 2006 'Conn' of African High Life.  10 years ago(!) I started a whole thread about that extra session. It's more jazz-oriented than the regular full Ilori album, and I just love those 3 bonus tracks a ton -- VERY forward thinking, to my mind.  Anyway, 3 cheers to the Jazzman compilers!! - for including one of them on this set new Spiritual Jazz set.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for Vol. 10 (and I hope there are 10 more volumes after that too -- I'll buy every one of them).

https://www.shinybeast.nl/item/471721/various_spiritual_jazz_9_blue_notes_parts_1_2.html

01. Bobby Hutcherson - Verse
02. Pete La Roca - Basra
03. Wayne Shorter - Footprints
04. Elvin Jones - At This Point In Time
05. Andrew Hill - Poinsettia
06. Eddie Gale - The Rain
07. Duke Pearson - Empathy
08. Bobby Hutcherson - Searchin' The Trane
09. Duke Pearson - The Phantom
10. Freddie Hubbard - Assunta
11. Joe Henderson - El Barrio
12. Jackie McLean - Plight
13. Duke Pearson - Cristo Redentor
14. Wayne Shorter - Indian Song
15. Hank Mobley - The Morning After
16. Pete La Roca - Malaguena
17. Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
18. Booker Ervin - Gichi
19. Solomon Ilori - Song Of Praise To God

You can also sample all the tracks here:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/spiritual-jazz-9-blue-notes-parts/714140-01/

The only one's I don't already have on CD are 2 of the later Duke Pearson tunes, iirc.

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

It does seem odd that there's nothing from McCoy Tyner's late-1960s/early 70s Blue Note period on here.  That to me would seem a little more fitting for the nature of this series than "Footprints," which is obviously a superlative tune.

And not one -- but TWO cuts from Pete La Roca's Basra.  Great album, definitely, but I don't get including fully 1/3rd of the tracks from just one album (2 of 6).  And "Footprints" also doesn't make a lot of sense, if only because everybody's gonna have that one already (out of all the tunes on this set).  I guess those are minor quibbles, though.

Looks like another great collection, I wish they would release some of the full albums that they cherry picked the tracks from on past collections , there are quite a few albums that have never seen full reissues, I assume he must have obtained access to the masters since none sound like needledrops

things like

https://www.discogs.com/Clarence-Peters-Quartet-The-Magnetic-Atmospher/release/4002454

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2681986-Antithesis-8

• 9 months later...