Timeless Jazz Returns to WUTC-FM

Ken Dryden

I hosted Timeless Jazz out of my collection on WUTC-FM betwen 1987 and 2002 and it returned to the station beginning February 3. It airs on WUTC.org (88.1 FM in greater Chattanooga Sundays from 2 to 4 pm ET, the HD-2 broadcast can be heard on Wednesdays from 10 am to 12 noon). The program won't always have a specific topic, though for Sunday, Feburary 17, I will be focusing on Japanese CDs exclusively. No podcasts as yet, but we are working on that.

I decided that it was silly to be the only one enjoying portions of a collecton accumulated over 45+ years. 

I will likely include some interviews, some of which were previously aired but with different music, others have never been broadcast. I plan to tape new interviews as well.

I hope you'll tune in to the show.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Typo

16 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I hosted Timeless Jazz out of my collection on WUTC-FM betwen 1987 and 2002 and it returned to the station beginning February 3. It airs on WUTC.org (88.1 FM in greater Chattanooga Sundays from 2 to 4 pm ET, the HD-2 broadcast can be heard on Wednesdays from 10 am to 12 noon). The program won't always have a specific topic, though for Sunday, Feburary 17, I will be focusing on Japanese CDs exclusively. No podcasts as yet, but we are working on that.

I decided that it was silly to be the only one enjoying portions of a collecton accumulated over 45+ years. 

I will likely include some interviews, some of which were previously aired but with different music, others have never been broadcast. I plan to tape new interviews as well.

I hope you'll tune in to the show.

That is great news, Ken! Thanks for the heads-up. 

• 3 weeks later...

This Sunday's program will feature tracks from anthologies and concert compilations, including a few fundraising CDs and imports.3-5 pm ET at WUTC.org, or rebroadcast Wednesday from 10am to 12 noon on the station's HD-2 channel.

Playlist for March 10, 2019: Jazz Compilations & Anthologies

Today's program draws from unique tracks which are found within live various artists compilations, anthologies created for fundraising, broadcasts, etc. None of these performances come from albums by the featured artists.

Duke Ellington: The Greatest Jazz Concert In the World (Pablo) - Very Tenor (featuring Zoot Sims, Paul Gonsalves and Jimmy Hamilton 

McCoy Tyner: Chick Corea/Keith Jarrett/Herbie Hancock/McCoy Tyner - In Your Own Sweet Way (Atlantic)

Carmen McRae: Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual (Koch Jazz): I'm Gonna Lock My Heart And Throw Away The Key

Joe Sullivan: Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual (Koch Jazz) - Little Rock Getaway 

Sonny Rollins: Lust For Life (Drive Archive): Sonnymoon For Two

Art Farmer with the Louis Van Dyke Trio: North Sea Jazz Sessions Vol. 1 (Jazz World) - Some Other Time 

Charlie Rouse: The Lost Sessions (Blue Note) - One For Five 

Bill Evans: Jazz At The Golden Circle (Marshmallow Export) - If You Could See Me Now

Joanne Brackeen: Bill Evans - A Tribute (TBA) - Song For Helen 

Eliane Elias: Portrait Of Bill Evans (JVC Japan) - If You Could See Me Now

The Contemporary Piano Ensemble: JVC Jazz Festival Highlights (GMN) - PNJ

Diane Hubka: From California With Love (SSJ) - Sweet Happy Life (Samba De Orfeu)

Phil Woods, Frank Socolow & Cecil Payne: International Jam Sessions (Xanadu) - Yardbird Suite 

Howard Alden Trio: Fujitsu/Concord Jazz Festival (Concord Jazz) - The Very Thought Of You

Phil Woods & Fred Hersch: Last Night When We Were Young - The Ballad Album (Classical Action) - Adios Noninho

Doc Cheatham, Vic Dickenson & Red Richards: Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans? (New Hampshire Library of Traditional Jazz) - Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans? 

Carl Perkins: Piano Playhouse (V.S.O.P.) - Lullaby Of The Leaves

Edited by Ken Dryden
Added playlist

This Sunday's broadcast celebrates the centennial of Nat King Cole's birth (March 17, 1919) with a survey of his career between 1939 and 1956. Obviously a lot of the music came from the 18 CD Mosaic boxed set The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Nat King Cole Trio, but I also included transcriptions, broadcasts, previously unissued live recordings that have appeared in the last 20 or so years. With so many brief songs, the sets consist mostly of 4 to 5 songs. It airs from 3 to 5 pm EDT at wutc.org or on the station's HD-2 channel from 10 am to 12 noon the following Wednesday.

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about doing a 101st birthday tribute to Marian McPartland last Sunday, but I had just devoted an entire program to Nat King Cole. No matter, this Sunday's show and possibly the following week, will be devoted to her music. I may include excerpts from one or two of the several interviews I did with her in the second show, the earliest one being in 1988.

Also in the works is a show on Denny Zeitlin, with an air date in late April. He is appearing at Mezzrow May 1-4. I am interviewing him later today.