Anyone else like the label Red Records?

Hardbopjazz

Sal Nistico's Empty Bed is a must-have IMHO.

There were two Jim Snidero releases I've had for years and years, been a long time since I listened but I am sure they were very enjoyable.  Awhile ago I bought a comp I think it was titled Hard Bop Today or something similar. It seemed the only way to hear the Stafford James Ensemble which included Frank Strozier and Harold Mabern in the band. That one still seems very hard to locate.

Red Records is a very respectable modern jazz label, whose current releases are out of my sphere of interest.

However, they started out in the mid seventies as a much more adventurous label. Some of the great early titles (Mazzon, Gaslini, Schiano, and also Frederic Rzewski's own recording of his "The People United") were released under the "Edizioni Di Cultura Popolare" label. Both labels used the same numbering system (VPA prefix), with most of the first fifteen or so titles (VPA 101 to 115)  released on ECP. 

I don't know the exact story, but I think the label (or labels) was closely connected with the left wing students movement at the Milan University. In fact, the very first release (VPA 101) was Gaslini's  "Concerto Della Resistenza", recorded at the Milan University, and I have another (earlier?) issue of that record on the  "Edizioni Movimento Studentesco" label.

A few of my favorites:

- Franco D'Andrea - Dialogues with Super-Ego / Es and Quartet Live / My Shuffle

- Julius Hemphill & Abdul Wadud - Live in New York

- The Jazz Tribe [Ray Mantilla, Bobby Watson, Jack Walrath, et al] - The Next Step

- Ray Mantilla's Space Station - Hands of Fire and Dark Powers

- Ronnie Mathews - Song for Leslie 

- Sphere - Live on Tour and Pumpkin's Delight

- Cedar Walton - The Trio, Vols. 1-3 and Blues for Myself

- Bobby Watson - Love Remains