New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I have all of this, so I won't be ordering.  The thought occurred to me that if this turns out to be Mosaic's last, then they'll be doing something they really love.  I can only assume that it occurred to them too.

I'm afraid I have all this too (and all on CD to boot), so I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass too.  I won't feel too guilty, as there was only about 1/3rd of the Bee Hive set that I was really super-duper interested in, but I did buy that primarily to be supportive of the label (which was a pretty penny).

If the set does have enough sales, and get approved for production -- I might see if I can order a copy of just the booklet.  There was a time (20 years ago), when I bought booklets for several of their Miles Davis Columbia LP sets, to augment my metal-spine CD copies of the music.  They sold the booklets at $15 each back then, and I wouldn't be surprised if they upped that price to $20 now (as they probably should).

Wish I could justify this, but my ideal is individual CD's with original artwork, and I've already got all that here.  But I do hope they can make a go of it.

If this set sells enough, I could see them doing a similar 60's set for Lee Morgan -- that seems like the most logical next set of this sort.

23 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed, the Kelly/Chambers dates don't really have a clean fit stylistically with either of the other boxes.  If anything, I would have put them in the first box rather than the new one.

IIRC a Mosaic with those four LPs with Kelly was considered (still in the LP era of Mosaic) but dropped in favor of individual album reissues on Blue Note.

None of all those alternates is listed in the Blue Note Discography, btw - they all must have been found on the occasion of later tape examinations.

22 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I have all of this, so I won't be ordering.  The thought occurred to me that if this turns out to be Mosaic's last, then they'll be doing something they really love.  I can only assume that it occurred to them too.

I don’t think this will be their last set; they definitely have aspirations of doing more. 

I'm not going to buy a Hank Mobley set so they'll do a Lee Morgan set so they'll do a Horace Silver set etc. At what point does redundancy become redundant?

I think I will get this set, though, because I really don't have it all on CD, and I want to. But really, from any angle, theirs or mine, this is a lazy man's set. Bill Barron would take some real work, just as Tina Brooks did, just as Herbie Nichols did, just as so many others did, even the Coleman Hawkins set did. You put the focus on somebody with a voice/unique body of work, you gather the material, and then comes the hard part - making the case to the marketplace that this particular body of work, this person and their music matters in a way and on a scale that it has not yet mattered. And then the marketplace convenes and enough people, hopefully, take note, have a listen, consider the evidence and the proposition of matters-ness, and then come away feeling enriched/enlightened about having engaged in something about which they otherwise knew little (or less).

That's why we love(d) Mosaic, not because they repackage shit we already know. Well, ok, that too, but that's not a particularly noble form of love, right?

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think I will get this set, though, because I really don't have it all on CD, and I want to. But really, from any angle, theirs or mine, this is a lazy man's set...

Agreed. And the e-mail/website info I've read is really sloppy. For instance, the recent preorder e-mail said it's a 7-CD set, but everything else says 8 CDs.

21 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Some new bonus material would lock us all in for this, but that is harder to negoitiate when mosaic is getting permission from universal n stuff i think

Not sure how much would be available to add.  As has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, there isn't all that much non-rejected unreleased BN material from the first lifetime.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, JSngry said:

There ya' go. You're paying for the name.

And what "name" is that, really? Look at Malcolm Addey's credits and I defy anyone to make the case "Steve Hoffman" has even a fraction of Addey's qualifications or artistic track record. Even if one cares for for the (overpriced snake oil hype) pop rock schlock regurgitations SH specializes in, Addey should get any gig he wants until he's no longer able to do it to his own superior standards.

just one of many many dozens of killer sessions Malcolm was * engineer * for- Whip! Whop! - that's he's done brilliant work with 78s, mono, early stereo etc too is remarkable.

Edited by MomsMobley

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i hear you bro, but i think some of the rejected tracks might be there, no?  like on the caddy tape for example.  do you think tk 19 untitled fuller original is on it?  

Nothing like that listed on the proposed discography -- which I suppose isn't already set in stone (but it probably might as well be)...

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=268-MD-CD

I think the *only* totally previously unissued track is this one...

B): NO ROOM FOR SQUARES: Lee Morgan, trumpet; Hank Mobley, tenor saxophone; Andrew Hill, piano; John Ore, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums (October 2, 1963).

Tk.18 Me 'N You (alt tk) previously unissued

6 hours ago, MomsMobley said:

And what "name" is that, really? Look at Malcolm Addey's credits and I defy anyone to make the case "Steve Hoffman" has even a fraction of Addey's qualifications or artistic track record. Even if one cares for for the (overpriced snake oil hype) pop rock schlock regurgitations SH specializes in, Addey should get any gig he wants until he's no longer able to do it to his own superior standards.

just one of many many dozens of killer sessions Malcolm was * engineer * for- Whip! Whop! - that's he's done brilliant work with 78s, mono, early stereo etc too is remarkable.

It's about branding as much as anything, and Hoffman is a "brand".  Starbucks has low-quality coffee, but have created an extremely attractive brand which enables them to sell it at jacked up prices and have people standing in line for the privilege of paying. 

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Starbucks-considered-bad-by-coffee-purists-Why-do-people-hate-sneer-at-Starbucks

I actually like their coffee; the writer on Quora (which I'm not impressed with, the site that is) is a self confessed coffee snob so he's probably ultra picky, just like some people who didn't care for OJCs because it wasn't pristine sound, forgetting that (at the time) it was the only way to hear that recording on cd. 

On 2/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Has anyone talked to anyone about doing a Bill Barron set?

Seriously. As much as it comes up here as an idea, has anyone here seriously suggested it?

On 2/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, JSngry said:

Ok, I just sent an email to info@mosaicrecords.com

Bill Barron has been on our list for a long time, mainly the Savoy and Muse sessions. Unfortunately there aren’t enough albums under his own name to put together a decent size box.

Best,

MC

Ok,  far be it from me to argue with MC at this stage of his and Mosaic's like, but does it have to be just leader dates? And doesn't his widow have some stuff, like maybe a lot of stuff?

I respectfully replied with words to that effect.

7 hours ago, Brad said:

I actually like their coffee; the writer on Quora (which I'm not impressed with, the site that is) is a self confessed coffee snob so he's probably ultra picky, just like some people who didn't care for OJCs because it wasn't pristine sound, forgetting that (at the time) it was the only way to hear that recording on cd. 

Quora is OK if you limit your exposure to topics that are of interest to you. There are more than a few contributors who really know their stuff.  There are also a lot of really stupid questions and posters you just learn to ignore.  

With respect to the coffee issue, Starbucks straight up is undrinkable.  Bitter and burned tasting.  That's why probably 90% of their sales involve so-called coffee drinks.

OH so there IS one???  An unreleased take of Me n You! so they do know how to do it!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Bill Barron has been on our list for a long time, mainly the Savoy and Muse sessions. Unfortunately there aren’t enough albums under his own name to put together a decent size box.

Best,

MC

Ok,  far be it from me to argue with MC at this stage of his and Mosaic's like, but does it have to be just leader dates? And doesn't his widow have some stuff, like maybe a lot of stuff?

I respectfully replied with words to that effect.

thats cool mosaic dawg, just pad the rest of the box out with some tastycakes and we're good

they dont really pull the masters for these right?  i mean i hope theyre being careful

20 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

OH so there IS one???  An unreleased take of Me n You! so they do know how to do it!

thats cool mosaic dawg, just pad the rest of the box out with some tastycakes and we're good

they dont really pull the masters for these right?  i mean i hope theyre being careful

I count four Savoy titles and three Muse titles, which will fill out a four or five CD box just fine.  "Not enough titles" from the company that brought us Freddie Redd and Don Cherry boxes with three albums on two CD's?

yea! mosaic select!  Bill Barron Savoy sides:: Mosaic Select

its remminds me of like last nite like the oscars staff admitting  (have you heard abt this) "no one here knows who carol channing is" as the reason they didnt include her in the oscars obit

who actually runs mosaic now days. is michael cuscana still an owner.