New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

31 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Thanks, that had escaped me! Got some of those expanded SHM reissues, but none by Mobley.

Flurin it's not one of the SHM-CD releases, it's an "LT Series" cd release from EMI Japan before the label "moved" to Universal. It was pre-SHM-CD Blue Note.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

And they kept the LT covers. Somebody doing god's work there.

Yes, and they kept a unique mastering sound for this series, more "chunky" than the usual Japanese Blue Note sound of this decade.

Well, the LT Series (and the most of the whole Cuscuna first wave vault products) had a different sound from their origins on LP. That stuff had a different sound than di the Lion/Wolff product. It's been out some many different ways now...but yes, those records DID sound a different way.

Right, and the Japanese kept that uniqueness, imo more so than the few that the US released on cd with different covers. I think I have almost every one in that EMI Japan released in that series, it was exciting to see each batch of releases.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 months later...

Today’s update from Mosaic:

We have completed the transfer and mastering stage of this 8-CD set. Rudy Van Gelder’s original tapes are uniformly superb and Malcolm Addey has done an exquisite mastering job. Hank and company never sounded better. Lee Morgan, who’s on six of the sessions, is at the top of his game throughout. Billy Higgins drives 9 of the 13 sessions with incessant swing.

Bob Blumenthal has completed his typically insightful and informative liner notes. I’ve amassed a large amount of excellent Francis Wolff photographs from the actual sessions and am in the painful process of choosing want to include and what to drop because of space.

The booklet at designer and printer.  We have a long relationships with individuals instead of corporations and summer vacations are impacting the schedule. Apologies for the delay and we are eyeing a September release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, mr jazz said:

Newbie to Mobley. Is this a good intro to his best work? Lee Morgan's presence is a plus for me.

For Mosaic sets, yes I probably prefer 60s Hank overall. However his best work is the Workout - Soul Station etc albums which are not included. If you are truly a newbie that's where I would be starting.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:39 AM, Brad said:

Although I initially intended to pre-order this set, I'm heading to the fence as I have all the individual CDs and I'm not sure I need another box set, not to mention that I tend to listen to his earlier work more than later recordings. 

That's a matter of opinion.  I'm more attracted to Mobley's earlier material i.e. the recordings included in Mosaic's initial treatment.  For want of a better term, there's a freshness to those (the so-called "round sound") that I don't hear in his later efforts.  Add to that the fact that the first Mobley set includes his work with Sonny Clark and that tips the scales.  I'm pretty sure I have all the material from '63 forward on single CD's, so as of now, I'll probably pass on this.  Needless to say, the lure of a new Mobley Mosaic may overwhelm me when it's finally available.  If the sound is demonstrably better, I could easily cave.

1 minute ago, Dave James said:

That's a matter of opinion.  I'm more attracted to Mobley's earlier material i.e. the recordings included in Mosaic's initial treatment.  For want of a better term, there's a freshness to those (the so-called "round sound") that I don't hear in his later efforts.  Add to that the fact that the first Mobley set includes his work with Sonny Clark and that tips the scales.  I'm pretty sure I have all the material from '63 forward on single CD's, so as of now, I'll probably pass on this.  Needless to say, the lure of a new Mobley Mosaic may overwhelm me when it's finally available.  If the sound is demonstrably better, I could easily cave.

I later changed my mind and ordered this ;) 

38 minutes ago, mr jazz said:

Newbie to Mobley. Is this a good intro to his best work? Lee Morgan's presence is a plus for me.

You can get 5 albums on Amazon for $15.61.  2 (No Room for Squares and Reach Out) are included on the Mosaic, although the Mosaic has one previously unreleased No Room for Squares track.  I'd start there before deciding to drop the dough on a big Mosaic.

2 hours ago, mr jazz said:

My two all-time favorite Mobely titles are his two slightly larger bands/recordings from the mid-1960’s — BOTH with Lee Morgan too!! — namely Slice of the Top, and Third Season. Great tunes, and playing, and arranging especially too.

18 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Overall I can't find a weak session on this set, I am glad I have them in other form, mostly vinyls.

I don’t recall being all that crazy about Reach Out when I picked it up umpteen years ago, but I’ll certainly give it a fresh listen when the new set finally arrives. Definitely a great run of recordings for Hank during these years.