New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

My two all-time favorite Mobely titles are his two slightly larger bands/recordings from the mid-1960’s — BOTH with Lee Morgan too!! — namely Slice of the Top, and Third Season. Great tunes, and playing, and arranging especially too.

I really like those mid-size bands that Duke Pearson arranged in the mid to late sixties, and Slice of the Top is a prime example.

39 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I really like those mid-size bands that Duke Pearson arranged in the mid to late sixties, and Slice of the Top is a prime example.

I've always wondered what (if anything?) that Duke Pearson might have had to do with Third Season, since it's a similarly larger-size group.  But Duke is *not* credited in the liners, far as I'm remembering.

If I remember right, didn't Duke possibly do the arranging on Slice because of a short time Hank spent in jail(?!) right before Slice was recorded?  I don't have my Slice liners in front of me, but I seem to remember some of that album was written while Hank was in jail for a time around then.

ANYWAY, my main point is that I've always wondered if Duke also the arranging of Third Season, or if those really were Hank's arrangements.  Perhaps the new liners of this new Mobley 60's box will shed some light on that.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

22 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I recall that ‘Slice’ was conceived in outline form while Hank was serving a sentence and Duke Pearson fleshed out the arrangements. It is detailed in the sleevenotes to the ‘Rainbow Series’ LP.

I have only a couple of those 1970s Blue Note LPs, but iirc they came with quite interesting notes.  I wish those got included more often in subsequent single-CD and box-set reissues.

40 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I have only a couple of those 1970s Blue Note LPs, but iirc they came with quite interesting notes.  I wish those got included more often in subsequent single-CD and box-set reissues.

I sometimes photocopy them and throw them in to the box. 

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Litweiler's notes were used for the BN Connoisseur cd of A Slice of the Top as well.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Woody Herman is finishing up shipping and all preorders will ship in the next couple of days

Hank Mobley set has arrived and we will ship right after Woody Herman shipments.

Sounds like they workin' poor Woody to death. No wonder shit be running behind!

Poor guy must be exhausted—is he ever going to get that IRS levy paid off? 

Edited by ghost of miles

I have (occasionally, and years ago) bought Mosaic booklets for particular sets -- separate from the set -- direct from Mosaic.  Mostly only for the Miles Davis LP sets that were compliments to the metal-spine boxes (I think I have booklets-only from the Miles & Gil, 1965-68, and Plugged Nickel sets, iirc, all purchased direct from Mosaic at the time).

That said, I might be temping to get the booklets (only) for this new Hank set, and also for the new Lee Morgan set too -- seeing as I already have every last track of the Hank on CD, and that may be the case for the Lee Morgan as well (tbd, since we don't know the exact contents of it yet).

Anyone know Mosiac's current stance on selling booklets apart from the sets they go with these days?

(It's so hard to justify buying this new Hank set, since I've literally already got every last track, 100%, on legit CD's already.  But I wouldn't mind having a copy of the new liners, I will admit that.) 

Edited by Rooster_Ties

32 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

(It's so hard to justify buying this new Hank set, since I've literally already got every last track, 100%, on legit CD's already.  But I wouldn't mind having a copy of the new liners, I will admit that.) 

Just to play devil's advocate, do you "literally" have the one previously unissued track in this set, the alternate take of "Me 'n You"? ;)

Edited by jazzbo