New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Just to play devil's advocate, do you "literally" have the one previously unissued track in this set, the alternate take of "Me 'n You"? ;)

Ha!  More specifically, I have every one of these albums on CD, including the 2012 TOCJ Japanese reissue of Third Season -- the one with the alternate of "Don't Cry, Just Sigh" (and the only release with that alternate) -- which I'm pretty sure is the only rare track on this new Mosaic, and the only one that's 'sorta new' (since it's only been released once, on just that one Japanese reissue).

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yeah, I have them all too. I had the American copies, now I have Japanese copies where available. And I ordered this set. Great music.

Part of it for me *is space* just as much as the outlay of cash for this new set.  I've got too damn many CD's as it is, and I really can't justify having two physical copies of that many CD's with the exact same material.  Our 1BR, 630 sq-ft apartment is overflowing with too much stuff as it is now.  If I got this new Mosaic, I'd really need to get rid of 75% of the individual CD's of that same set -- but in all honesty, I really prefer individual CD's when given the option (because of having the original cover art, and not having albums/original-sessions split across two physical discs).

I took the plunge on the Bee Hive box in support of Mosaic, even though I really only was super-interested in about 30% of it.  No regrets at all with the Bee Hive, but harder to justify when there isn't even 5 minutes of previously unreleased material (which isn't a complaint about the new Hank set, but it is what it is).

May be the same with the Lee Morgan box for me too, we'll see.  If they manage to find 6 or 8 previously unreleased tracks (like the rest of that 13-Sept-1968 session, plus a few other alternates here and there), then I might take the plunge for the Lee Morgan.

13 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Part of it for me *is space* just as much as the outlay of cash for this new set.  I've got too damn many CD's as it is, and I really can't justify having two physical copies of that many CD's with the exact same material.  Our 1BR, 630 sq-ft apartment is overflowing with too much stuff as it is now.  If I got this new Mosaic, I'd really need to get rid of 75% of the individual CD's of that same set -- but in all honesty, I really prefer individual CD's when given the option (because of having the original cover art, and not having albums/original-sessions split across two physical discs).

I took the plunge on the Bee Hive box in support of Mosaic, even though I really only was super-interested in about 30% of it.  No regrets at all with the Bee Hive, but harder to justify when there isn't even 5 minutes of previously unreleased material (which isn't a complaint about the new Hank set, but it is what it is).

May be the same with the Lee Morgan box for me too, we'll see.  If they manage to find 6 or 8 previously unreleased tracks (like the rest of that 13-Sept-1968 session, plus a few other alternates here and there), then I might take the plunge for the Lee Morgan.

You don't have to explain it to me. I admire your will power and plan. I too have serious space issues, and I don't care that much about cover art etc. so I may part with the Japanese cd copies I have if I really do like the mastering of this Mosaic set. I've begun downsizing and in fact have sold over 500 discs so far this year, a drop in the bucket, but a start. 

I'll have to see what the Morgan set brings. . . . I actually like the Morgan material a bit less than the Mobley so it's possible I may skip that set. . . . Ah, probably not seeing how I am, again I'll have other discs to sell if I prefer the mastering.

In addition to the individual BN CD's, I own the McLean Mosaic for one album, the Mosaic Thad Jones for one album, the Mosaic Stanley Turrentine for one album, the Mosaic Elvin Jones for two albums, and the Mosaic Lou Donaldson for two or three albums, so I get it to that degree.  Hoping the Japanese will eventually enable me to pick up the individual titles and pass these boxes along.  I know Don Was isn't gonna come to my rescue.

15 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Something tells me that even if you got the individual disks you’d keep the box sets. But what do I know?

Absolutely would not keep the boxes, have sold many through the years as I was able to replace them with individual CD's.  I'm not a fan of the Mosaic format, and have meaningful but finite space for my collection, and meaningful but finite money to tie up in it!

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

Absolutely would not keep the boxes, have sold many through the years as I was able to replace them with individual CD's.  I'm not a fan of the Mosaic format, and have meaningful but finite space for my collection, and meaningful but finite money to tie up in it!

I hear you. Re. Mobley, I rather wish I’d kept my first issue CDs of No Room for Squares and The Turnaround, which put the sessions back together. Though not in session order. Anyway. 

5 hours ago, David Ayers said:

The sequencing in this set makes no sense, by the way. 

Are you talking about it being in session order for the first 3 sessions or are you talking about the order of the tracks within each of these first 3 sessions?

I would think that after all the crap Michael Cuscuna got from the re-sequencing of "No Room For Squares", "The Turnaround" & "Straight No Filter" that putting them out in straight recording order takes that all away. In that regard, it makes sense to me.

Edited by bresna

I got those three CDs when they came out and have never played them as is. I rearranged them in the order in which they were recorded, on two CDs. There were reasons for the track lineups on the original LPs, but today we have no need to adhere to them. I much prefer to hear tracks by the same guys gathered together. 

In case anyone doesn't know, Michael Cuscuna got a lot of flak when, in the early CD days, he put the alternate takes together, rather than sticking them at the ends of CDs.

4 hours ago, bresna said:

Are you talking about it being in session order for the first 3 sessions or are you talking about the order of the tracks within each of these first 3 sessions?

I would think that after all the crap Michael Cuscuna got from the re-sequencing of "No Room For Squares", "The Turnaround" & "Straight No Filter" that putting them out in straight recording order takes that all away. In that regard, it makes sense to me.

They aren’t in session order within each session!

Edited by David Ayers

This discussion of these three CDs prompted me to get my 2CD transfer of the material into recording order. Like (I guess) many here, I played them when I got them and then they got forgotten, with all the stuff that's come out since then.

Naturally, I jumped first to "Me 'N' You", which is being treated to a new take. It is "Sidewinder #7", a pleasant track. It kinda masks Philly Joe, and I couldn't wait to go to the tracks where he plays normally.

Anyway, everything I had time for today sounded great all round. It was good to hear Hank on these sessions again: he was in great form.