New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, sidewinder said:

According to Scott there’s currently a backlog of about 500 shipments - the Herman and Mobley sets must be selling well. My sets should be on their way in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for posting this. I have a Mobley order in hyperspace. Was going to complain to Mosaic and post a rant on this forum, but will pass and give it some more time.

16 hours ago, sidewinder said:

According to Scott there’s currently a backlog of about 500 shipments - the Herman and Mobley sets must be selling well.

That's a wonderful thought, really it is, but it might just mean that they're shipping them as they get them in and they ain't getting them in all too quickly from the manufacturer.

I decided to pass on the set and cancelled the pre-order. I have all of the single cds and frankly don’t listen to a lot of them, except Dippin and NRFS, and haven’t in years so I didn’t see the necessity of duplication. 

Edited by Brad

Ordered this set on 12/23/19. Just (1/12/20) received a notice that the order has "been forwarded to our warehouse for shipment." Stellar performance. I hope they actually ship the item ordered (that's been a problem in the past). BTW, I assumed Mosaic was busy and did not send any inquiry e-mails.

22 hours ago, T.D. said:

Ordered this set on 12/23/19. Just (1/12/20) received a notice that the order has "been forwarded to our warehouse for shipment." Stellar performance. I hope they actually ship the item ordered (that's been a problem in the past). BTW, I assumed Mosaic was busy and did not send any inquiry e-mails.

So you ordered this set in December 2019 and are getting it now and I ordered it in February of 2019 and I haven't received any notice. This is bizarre.

58 minutes ago, bresna said:

So you ordered this set in December 2019 and are getting it now and I ordered it in February of 2019 and I haven't received any notice. This is bizarre.

They said it was going to ship. I won't believe it until given a tracking number which actually shows up in the USPS system.

Not to harp on negatives, but dealing with Mosaic has become like falling into the Looking-glass World.

I suspect your Feb. 2019 order simply got lost. Which brings to mind the Paypal gripe. I use Paypal with Mosaic because Mosaic's website has gone to pot and I don't trust their security. But Mosaic inexplicably, and unlike any other online merchant I can think of, charge Paypal immediately rather than when the order ships.

I recently placed my first Berkshire Record Outlet order in 2 or 3 years. Berkshire is notorious for slowish shipping and being cranky about inquiries, e.g. the BRO website says "Don't contact us about order arrival until four weeks after the order is placed". BRO thoroughly outperformed Mosaic (order placed later and long since received), and only charged Paypal when the order shipped.

Edited by T.D.

I pre-ordered the Mobley on announcement, but later, after the set was confirmed, cancelled in favour of ordering through Jazz Messengers. Good move, and I'll order as soon as it is in stock. Free next day delivery by courier from Barcelona to the Netherlands and great packaging. You can't beat that.

Edited by erwbol

5 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Free next day delivery by courier from Barcelona to the Netherlands and great packaging. You can't beat that.

That's the reason I order from Jazzmessengers. too. The price is about the same as when ordering from Mosaic (including shipping and customs) and I don't have the hassle to pick it up at the customs office.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:06 AM, T.D. said:

They said it was going to ship. I won't believe it until given a tracking number which actually shows up in the USPS system.

Not to harp on negatives, but dealing with Mosaic has become like falling into the Looking-glass World.

I suspect your Feb. 2019 order simply got lost. Which brings to mind the Paypal gripe. I use Paypal with Mosaic because Mosaic's website has gone to pot and I don't trust their security. But Mosaic inexplicably, and unlike any other online merchant I can think of, charge Paypal immediately rather than when the order ships.

You must not be a Deadhead. Ever since Dead.net outsourced order fulfillment, their shipping has made Mosaic's in its current state look like Amazon Prime. 

As for Paypal, that's interesting, as it's been my experience that it's far more common for online merchants to charge Paypal immediately, instead of when an order ships. Import CDs, for one, does this. It's common enough to where I've seen many warnings that it's never a good idea to use Paypal to pay for anything that isn't currently in stock and shipping immediately (i.e., no preorders or backorders), for exactly this reason. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

You must not be a Deadhead. Ever since Dead.net outsourced order fulfillment, their shipping has made Mosaic's in its current state look like Amazon Prime. 

God!, Rhino Customer Service is beyond awful. There is just no comparison. 

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

So those of you with the set already, how is the (presumably new) Essay? - i.e. the liner-notes??  Any new revelations?  Or notable ones at least?

New to me was what happened to Hank in his last years.  Makes me despair for mankind. 

Good little writeup on the set in the latest Marc Myers blog.

As for the early 1980s - At least one NorthSea Festival had Hank listed as due to appear. I recall the adverts for it in the European jazz press (mentioned in small print). Never made it.

Edited by sidewinder