New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/16/2020 at 1:48 AM, sidewinder said:

Good little writeup on the set in the latest Marc Myers blog.

As for the early 1980s - At least one NorthSea Festival had Hank listed as due to appear. I recall the adverts for it in the European jazz press (mentioned in small print). Never made it.

Courtesy of JazzWax, the poet Billy Collins wrote a poem on Hank Mobley:

Listening to Hank Mobley around 11 O’Clock
After a Long Fun Boozy Dinner, the Four of Us,
at Captain Pig’s, Our Favorite Restaurant in Town

I’m lying down now, solo on a couch,
imagining along with the music
that if I were, say, 15 or 16 tonight
and in possession of a fresh can
of pink or orange spray paint,
I would climb the 4th Street overpass 
and write in big letters
HANK MOBLEY SWINGS 
for all to see on their morning drive to work.

But having sailed some time ago
into the quiet cardigan harbor of my life 
out of earshot of the siren songs
that lure men onto reefs of foolishness
not to mention the bridges of bravado,
it’s enough to let the soap bubble
of that Hank Mobley thought drift
slowly across the living room and burst
with no warning, much to the amazement of the cat.

https://www.jazzwax.com/2020/01/billy-collins-on-hank-mobley.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=FeedBlitzRss&utm_content=Billy+Collins+on+Hank+Mobley

Edited by Brad

I've reported earlier on this forum. The sound I find excellent, it's great to have all these sessions in consistent transfers and mastering, both of which are very good. I confess I haven't yet read the booklet, I'm not into liner notes currently, but there are excellent photos, a number I've never seen before and don't believe have been released before.

My set just arrived.  Spinning disc 1. Sound seems really excellent but I’ve not done any tedious AB comparisons. 
I’ve most of this scattered across RVG and McMaster CDs with their opposing methodology for ordering the material. It’s great to have it in consistent sound in a singular order .

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be getting my set soon to complement the 50's set.  I admit my interest in acquiring more straight ahead from this era has waned considerably, but I have next to nothing of the Hank 60's Blue Note sessions except for the RVG's of No Room For Squares, Workout, Another Workout, Roll Call and the Audiowave XRCD of Soul Station.  I always held out to see if the '63 era on material would all be remastered.

On 22/01/2020 at 6:20 PM, Clunky said:

It’s great to have it in consistent sound in a singular order .

That’s the main reason I have gone for this one - as well as slavish devotion to Mosaic and all things Hank..

No sign of my box yet. No doubt they are assessing it for import duties right now. ;)

A friend of mine just received this email from Mosaic/Michael:

Dear Mosaic customer

We thought the curse of 2019 was gone. 

Last week we charged your credit card or your PayPal account thinking that inventory for the Hank Mobley was in stock at the warehouse. This was not the case. So when the order was made for more of the Mobley sets, we were told that the pressing plant Rainbo Records announced without warning that it had gone out of business (in fact, we heard about this from an L.A. Times article which is linked below). We are told that they presumptively tossed out all the CD paper components and may have scrapped the masters as well. The paper components have been re-ordered and once we get a more solid date for the sets to be shipped we will let you know. As of right now, our best guess is March to repair that wanton destruction and get more sets in stock. 

To all of you who are back-ordered, all we can say is that we are heartily sorry and that the wait will be worth it.

Humbly,
Michael Cuscuna

On 04/02/2020 at 7:20 PM, J.A.W. said:

The Mobley set seems to be selling well. The first batch has already sold out at Mosaic (it's on backorder) and Jazz Messengers in Barcelona, Spain, has only one copy left at the moment.

Not for much longer (at JazzMessengers) I guess.

Yikes !  This reminds me of the time the Donaldson set and all those Selects went AWOL. Hopefully this gets corrected soon.

Cracked open the contents of my set today and a couple of CDs in its a big plus on the sound quality. Malcolm Addey has done his usual exemplary job.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

A friend of mine just received this email from Mosaic/Michael:

Dear Mosaic customer

We thought the curse of 2019 was gone. 

Last week we charged your credit card or your PayPal account thinking that inventory for the Hank Mobley was in stock at the warehouse. This was not the case. So when the order was made for more of the Mobley sets, we were told that the pressing plant Rainbo Records announced without warning that it had gone out of business (in fact, we heard about this from an L.A. Times article which is linked below). We are told that they presumptively tossed out all the CD paper components and may have scrapped the masters as well. The paper components have been re-ordered and once we get a more solid date for the sets to be shipped we will let you know. As of right now, our best guess is March to repair that wanton destruction and get more sets in stock. 

To all of you who are back-ordered, all we can say is that we are heartily sorry and that the wait will be worth it.

Humbly,
Michael Cuscuna

Awful!!