New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

According to this article from October 2019:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/10/22/rainbo-records-shutting-down/

Rainbo announced that they were going out of business. 

"Here’s the letter sent out to Rainbo Records clients and partners this morning.

[...] 

It is with incredible sadness that I must announce to you that as of January 31, 2020 we must be out of the building and Rainbo after eighty years will no longer be in business.

Rainbo will continue to operate through December to complete all orders that we have in house now.

We will cease to take any new orders immediately.

We will help you as much as possible to get your assets that we may have in our possession returned to you or shipped to another supplier.

You will need to request what you want returned by selection numbers.  There will be a nominal fee to pack up components and ship them out and you will be responsible for all freight cost.

No parts will be returned if you have any unpaid invoices with us. "

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they scrapped the masters how much of a hurdle would that be for Mosaic?

On 2/4/2020 at 8:20 PM, J.A.W. said:

The Mobley set seems to be selling well. The first batch has already sold out at Mosaic (it's on backorder) and Jazz Messengers in Barcelona, Spain, has only one copy left at the moment.

It's still available. Perhaps customers are simply limited to putting a single copy in their cart?

3 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I think they would have clones on a drive somewhere and the new plant could make parts from those. Depending on the plant and the size of the orders, the cost would be minimal if anything.

That's a relief. Given what happened to some of those Selects like the Don Pullen.

I'm still sorry the Selects went the way of the dodo. It was a great series, at least in my opinion, and I was a bit surprised it wasn't commercially viable to continue. Apparently the sales were extremely low, and with Mosaic being in not-so-good shape at the time...

Edited by J.A.W.

26 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

I'm still sorry the Selects went the way of the dodo. It was a great series, at least in my opinion, and I was a bit surprised it wasn't commercially viable to continue. Apparently the sales were extremely low, and with Mosaic being in not-so-good shape at the time...

Agreed. The Selects probably died with all the print material (trays,inserts, booklets and slipcase) in one place and disposed.

I don't believe the big boxes and booklets are at the pressing plant, so recovery is less painful.

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

...and I was a bit surprised  [the Select series] wasn't commercially viable to continue. Apparently the sales were extremely low, and with Mosaic being in not-so-good shape at the time.

I too am shocked the Select series (aparently?) didn’t sell enough to be viable - or was it the added cost of color packaging/booklets??

In any case, I bought like 18-20 Selects, and would’ve *gladly* bought more, of artists I was interested enough in. I could easily name 6-8 Selects that are like desert island material to me.  And I even bought ‘safety’ copy of the Hill BN select (no surprise to all of you).

The 3rd ‘messy’ disc of the Hill BN Select, the one with Sam Rivers on both sessions, and Woody Shaw on the first - are a long my all-time favorite BN sessions ever (even as crazy as both those dates are). Woody Shaw plays like there’s no tomorrow on the Halloween ‘67 date (if I remember the recording date right). Crazy stuff!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

Has Mosaic made a formal statement in regards to the recent Hank Mobley materials snafu.

I ordered a set via their website; however, there was no indication the set is back ordered, which they normally mention in the product details when the case is such.

On the other hand, they haven’t sent me an email indicating a ship date or postponed shipping date either. Conversely, if this is just a recent developed, I wouldn’t think they would have been able to put a band-aid on this so quickly.

Anyway, I suppose someone will reach out through an e-mail if this is on some back order.

I held off purchasing this until the Woody and Mobley pre-orders were all cleaned up. Besides the last Herman box, I had another set held for a few months due to some material issue. If they keep having problems with their venders, I wonder how long they’ll keep trying to move forward with new projects. (Sigh) Man I always appreciate the work they put in on their sets, and that they still care about what they do and their customers.

Hope this doesn’t hurt them...

Edit: I refreshed the product page, and I do see it does now says backordered until March (which is only a few weeks). When I placed the product in the cart a few days ago that may have not been the case yet.

Edited by Dharmajazz

1 hour ago, Dharmajazz said:

Edit: I refreshed the product page, and I do see it does now says backordered until March (which is only a few weeks). When I placed the product in the cart a few days ago that may have not been the case yet.

The back order notice has been on this page for a few weeks now:

Hank Mobley 1963-1970 set

7 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

The back order notice has been on this page for a few weeks now:

Hank Mobley 1963-1970 set

Yeah, probably. I had put this in my cart, but was waiting to make sure the wife didn’t buy me a copy for my Birthday present before pulling the trigger last week. Looked it up, and refreshed the product page after I saw the post here, hence edited my post.

Anyway thanks Hans.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Doubt pressing plants are working.

Agreed. After reading The New Yorker article that Joe posted here, and going through an extensive Mobley listen-a-thon, I was ready to pull the plug on this set, but now it's more of a waiting game.

After listening several times to the 1963-1970 era of Mobley's recordings, I came away with much more respect for Third Season and Thinking of Home. I used to prefer Mobley's 50's recordings, but now I'm leaning the other way. James Spaulding had fun on Mobley's records!

On 2/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, J.A.W. said:

One select would nicely fill in the missing titles between the two large Mosaic Hank Mobley boxes.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Ace Deuce Trey is such a strange composition!  I really like it.

Dude..that tune and a few others of Hank's like it, the ones that just had that cold hard whole-tone think lurking on allsides...to me, for a while, in my earliest days of BlueNoteObsession, that WAS The Blue Note Sound. I wrote a piece that tried to get in that zone, called it "Roll One, Stone Two" because Hank and because that was IT.

I also have a really "tragic" story about my Caddy for Daddy LP based on that tune and that "thing", but these are not the times for "tragedy".

On 4/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, Late said:

I wonder if this set is still on backorder ... :(

I bit on a Mosaic email pimping less than two weeks ago(?) and got my copy this afternoon.

All thing considered, it might not be literally now or never, but if you don't want to find that out the hard way, carpe diem escondido, muchachos y muchachas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 7:51 PM, Justin V said:

In my opinion, not recording James Spaulding as a leader was a huge missed opportunity for Blue Note.

That and Woody Shaw...but once the label was sold it wasn't going to happen.  But Tyrone Washington got his, and that's fine in and of itself, but some things just don't make sense.

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

That and Woody Shaw...but once the label was sold it wasn't going to happen.  But Tyrone Washington got his, and that's fine in and of itself, but some things just don't make sense.

Alfred made 2 attempts at a Shaw record and did not release anything.