New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine today! Looking forward to digging in.

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Any reports about the liners on the new Hank box would be great, especially anything even remotely revelatory (or small details not previously known).

(I couldn’t justify buying the box myself, since I already had all the music on CD - every last track iirc.)

I believe it was stated by others in this thread, but there are parts of a Hank interview where he basically claimed he was feeling stifled artistically at Blue Note and everything at a certain point was the same record.  I'll see for myself shortly.

3 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Does anyone's copy have a slight skip at the start of "Recado Bossa Nova" on disc 3? The disc is clean but this sounds like a little duplication hiccup

I just checked and didn't hear anything.  At what point in the track (minute/second #) do you hear it?

59 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

At the very beginning 0:00  Not a deal breaker since there are probably no replacements but it's odd

I just compared the box version to the original CD of Dippin'.  On the original, it sounds like there's one bass note before the piano; on the box, it sounds like two of the same bass note before the piano, but it doesn't sound unnatural - it sounds like the bassist played two notes (as if the original cut off the first one).  Will be curious to hear what others think.

10 hours ago, mjzee said:

I just compared the box version to the original CD of Dippin'.  On the original, it sounds like there's one bass note before the piano; on the box, it sounds like two of the same bass note before the piano, but it doesn't sound unnatural - it sounds like the bassist played two notes (as if the original cut off the first one).  Will be curious to hear what others think.

Interesting, so you are hearing the same thing. I quick went and streamed the RVG of Dippin' and as you said it started with one note rather than  two, but throughout the tune Ridley seems to be doing these two bass notes through the piece.  No it doesn't sound unnatural, but it sounds like there is a digital click at the start, which could be a mastering or duplication error, who knows.  I gave Scott a heads up but if this is what you hear too, maybe it's not just isolated to my copy.  The only other CD I had heard this on was the original CBS Associated CD of the CTI All Stars California Concert which had an actual skip leading into "Blues West" but that was probably more the poor remix job.  Sounded just like the LP on the expanded definitive 2010 issue.

16 hours ago, mjzee said:

Scott replied to my query regarding this...  it is a known issue

He said :

You’re only the second person whose brought this up to us. We did notice that if you start right on the track it doesn’t have that “blip” but when you let it continuously go from track 1 to track 2, you hear that “blip”.

So I asked if there will be any plans to repress based on that error, but if not, such is life.

Edit: He said there are no plans to repress and this little error affects all 2,500 sets.  However that's a small price to pay I think for having this music in the best possible sound.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the Mobley box bought on last chance, I was missing about one third of the music. Only played CD1 but the sound is indeed excellent. I already can see that the difference with some of the rvgs I own will be important. While this can seem to be a luxury, I'm sure it will only make me appreciate the music even more.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, pglbook said:

I just received my copy in this morning's mail.

It will be a fun weekend of listening to music. In addition to receiving the new Mosaic Hank Mobley set, today I also received the new Thelonious Monk Palo Alto CD, as well as a Zombies box set (Zombie Heaven, 4 CD).

That Zombies set is fantastic!