New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I'm confused about something. If this is a recent set, why is it gone from the Mosaic website? There's like no reference to it. It couldn't have sold out that quick. I was waffling on whether or not to get it but it appears to be gone. Anybody got any inside info?

It sold out from what I understand. They didn't press as many - basically a modified on-demand model - and it was popular. I'm not sure how long they were able to secure the rights to it either. I do see where it's not listed in their Out Of Print sets, but I'm wondering if that's just because they haven't updated that page on their (outdated) site. 

38 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

They did two pressings of it and the second pressing seemed to sell out as pre-sales. 

Here's what I don't get... it wasn't even available that long.... It seems that if it was that popular they could have given us a Last Chance or Running Low warning. I don't recall even seeing that. Jeez....

9 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Here's what I don't get... it wasn't even available that long.... It seems that if it was that popular they could have given us a Last Chance or Running Low warning. I don't recall even seeing that. Jeez....

If I recall they sent an email saying preorders for the second pressing were running low. I know I ordered mine a couple days after the cutoff date. I’m not sure if mine came in as an order to the plant or I maybe got one of the extras they pressed.  Per the book my copy is 1,888 of 2,500

I just checked my email and I placed my order in 7/18/20. I think the 15th might have been the order by date they said. 

On 7/8/2020 at 11:12 AM, mjzee said:

Mosaic just sent an email:

Last Chance for final order of Hank Mobley set:
The set is currently on backorder and we will be submitting a final production order. If you
want to reserve a copy, please place your order by next Wednesday July 15th. We will then order to fill and expect to ship in 6 – 8 weeks. If you order by credit card we will not charge the card until set is ready to ship. Please note that if you order by Paypal, they will charge the funds at time of ordering.

Ahhhh I knew someone on here posted it. 

23 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

If I recall they sent an email saying preorders for the second pressing were running low. I know I ordered mine a couple days after the cutoff date. I’m not sure if mine came in as an order to the plant or I maybe got one of the extras they pressed.  Per the book my copy is 1,888 of 2,500

I just checked my email and I placed my order in 7/18/20. I think the 15th might have been the order by date they said. 

Ahhhh I knew someone on here posted it. 

Thanks. Clearly I missed that one... A little bummed... I do have some of the individual cds though.... Oh well... 

Ordered on Sunday, delivered on Tuesday! it was on my doorstep when I returned home.

Compared only two tracks, but the sound on the box set seems to be a bit more detailed and have more space between the horns. But I will keep at least some of the CDs -those with the first three sessions into recording order.

• 1 year later...

I am going through this set at the moment.

I decided to arrange the tracks in chronological order. The original LP order is of no interest to me - I never had any of the LPs anyway.

For the first CD, I managed to get the first session and the second up to both takes of "Me 'N' You" onto one CD. It came to 80:20 or so, and the burning software gave me a severe warning, but no pet dogs were harmed during the process, and the CD plays fine. The chronological track order works fine. It looks like I will end up with one more CD than in the Mosaic set, but that's fine. I understand that they wanted to keep the number of CDs to a reasonable level.

I still suspect that they will do a Lee Morgan 60s set, but, of course, the problem is what to include and what to leave out.

3 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

The original LP order is of no interest to me - I never had any of the LPs anyway.

Interesting.  The original BN album running order and artwork hold magic for me, and are part of the appeal of collecting BN for me (and their absence is part of why I'm not enamored of Mosaic sets when the originals are available).

Further to that, I wonder why the first session in this set, that of March 7, 1963, was not all issued on one album. It sounds good as a unit, in order of recording. Mixing it up with other sessions seems silly, to me, and, as I said, I never heard the LPs that came out.

I had another triumph while arranging this material into a sensible order: the February 24, 1967 and May 26, 1967 sessions, in their entirety, both fitted onto what is my CD 5. It is an 80:23 collection, but the CD plays fine. I had to split the October 2, 1963 session over two CDs (1 and 2), and the last track of December 18, 1965 had to go on CD 4. The only alternative to that would be to have extra CDs with only one session on each.

The first Blue Note CD reissues of the three sessions for No Room For Squares & The Turnaround re-arranged the music in session order, including all the tracks first issued on Straight No Filter and some previously unreleased tracks. I, too, prefer the session order CDs, but most nostalgic fans seem to want "original LP sequence".

https://www.discogs.com/release/4990206-Hank-Mobley-No-Room-For-Squares

https://www.discogs.com/release/6130357-Hank-Mobley-The-Turnaround

https://www.discogs.com/release/11174699-Hank-Mobley-Straight-No-Filter

The three tracks of the Straight No Filter session originally were intended for release with some tracks from the A Slice Of The Top session, but that never happened.

The idea of intermixing sessions with wildly different sidemen just seems wrong to me. Especially multiple times (multiple albums), drawing from the same different sessions.

I don’t want to listen to an album and constantly have wonder, now who’s in the rhythm section on this track again?

The track labeling error for the June 17, 1966 session persists in this set. Take 14 (the second item, the long track) is "Soft Impressions". I have played Trane's "Impressions" lots of times, and I know it when I hear it. Take 15 is "Chain Reaction". The error seems to go back to the time when the music was registered - probably by Duke Pearson.

9 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The idea of intermixing sessions with wildly different sidemen just seems wrong to me. Especially multiple times (multiple albums), drawing from the same different sessions.

Prestige did it a lot, especially remember that on several Jackie McLean albums.   BN seemed to do it less.

1 hour ago, Shrdlu said:

The track labeling error for the June 17, 1966 session persists in this set. Take 14 (the second item, the long track) is "Soft Impressions". I have played Trane's "Impressions" lots of times, and I know it when I hear it. Take 15 is "Chain Reaction". The error seems to go back to the time when the music was registered - probably by Duke Pearson.

I believe "Up A Step" is also credited to the wrong tune. I hear the tune "No Room For Squares" and all I can think is that that tune is supposed to be "Up A Step".

3 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

You are basing this on the fact that the long track sounds like a second cousin to Impressions, or do you have some other source for this claim?

The long piece is also what Lee Morgan plays on the Live in Baltimore CD and incorrectly calls The Vamp. It is also not from Baltimore, BTW.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I believe "Up A Step" is also credited to the wrong tune. I hear the tune "No Room For Squares" and all I can think is that that tune is supposed to be "Up A Step".

Why do you think the song titles were switched?

There are several Mobley pieces that may have had the titles switched. There is a folder of Hank Mobley copyrights at the Library of Congress that were pulled from the warehouse at my request. I hope I can go back soon and figure this out.

Edited by bertrand