miles65

New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

425 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Alfred made 2 attempts at a Shaw record and did not release anything.

Wasn't at least one of them on a Mosaic?  1965 IIRC with Larry Young on piano?  Kinda loosey goosey?  But once Alfred was gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Hmmm.

This stuff?

woody-shaw-in-the-begining-back-1800-ljc

but not recorded by Rudy, so...I don't ahve a discography, but there were actual attempts by alfred to do a Woddyshawrecord? That is interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This stuff?

woody-shaw-in-the-begining-back-1800-ljc

but not recorded by Rudy, so...I don't ahve a discography, but there were actual attempts by alfred to do a Woddyshawrecord? That is interesting!

Listen and decide where it might have been recorded.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I figured as much.

So...Michael did his own vault-theft to do Woody a solid?

I know, don't ask...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Woody's son in the liner notes for the Mosaic box, "The Complete Muse Sessions":

"Cassandrite is Woody Shaw's first actual record date as a leader. It was to have been the start of Woody Shaw as a Blue Note recording artist. But a full album was never completed. Within weeks, Alfred Lion completed the sale of Blue Note to Liberty Records and was already regretting the decision. He gave these tapes back to Woody and cancelled deals with a handful of other artists with whom he was in discussions."

In the discography of the booklet, these sessions are listed as being recorded at Van Gelder Studio in December 1965.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never got the Woody mosaic and never knew of this date. Quite intrigued to hear it though especially Young back on piano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's what I get for buying stuff just because and then never reading the liner notes.

I do think it's great, truly great, how Cuscuna put that stuff out on Muse and totally disguised its real source. Guy was still working with BN, still working with Woody, and oh, here's these "demos".

Heroic, it is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally ordered the new Mobley Mosaic, my first Mosaic order in 10 years. I forget — does Mosaic send out an e-mail when they ship? My credit card was just charged, so I'm guessing that the set is now in motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, as I understand it your order now moved to their shipping agency and you should get a shipping notice. May take a day or two or three or. . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting to be billed and for a shipping notice.  Ordered May 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 8:18 PM, jazzbo said:

... you should get a shipping notice.

Shipping confirmation e-mail received today! :excited:

mjzee — I hope you receive your shipping confirmation soon! :tup

:party: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Late said:

Shipping confirmation e-mail received today! :excited:

mjzee — I hope you receive your shipping confirmation soon! :tup

:party: 

Thanks, Late!  My card was billed on 5/25, so I'm hopeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to order a copy last night. I'll be curious to see how long the shipment will take from today. It looks like a solid set, I don't have any of these albums in my collections aside from No Room For Squares, and I had no idea he made those larger combo albums. I'm excited to have this one in hand and hear the music done the Mosaic way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are trying to drag me back in...  In this case, I will be strong (I must have 97% of the Mobley material as singles), but in another week or so I'll order the Desmond set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jazzcat28 said:

...I don't have any of these albums in my collections aside from No Room For Squares, and I had no idea he made those larger combo albums. I'm excited to have this one in hand and hear the music done the Mosaic way.

See, you are the type of person who should be buying this set. A lot of us are buying it, ultimately, just to be buying shit. But you are in for a rare treat (hopefully), and I remember what it feels like to get all that Hank for the first-ish times.

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, JSngry said:

See, you are the type of person who should be buying this set. A lot of us are buying it, ultimately, just to be buying shit. But you are in for a rare treat (hopefully), and I remember what it feels like to get all that Hank for the first-ish times.

Enjoy!

Thank you JSngry. I have no doubt that I'm in for a treat! Hopefully you are all happy with the set as well and don't feel like you just bought it to be buying shit. At the very least, keeping Mosaic around to make these great sets seems worthwhile? Regardless, I always appreciate the comments and insight around here. For instance, the Woody Shaw Muse recording and the possible history behind that being demos for BN? Outstanding! You are all a wealth of knowledge and it is a privilege to be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazzcat28 said:

Thank you JSngry. I have no doubt that I'm in for a treat! Hopefully you are all happy with the set as well and don't feel like you just bought it to be buying shit. At the very least, keeping Mosaic around to make these great sets seems worthwhile? Regardless, I always appreciate the comments and insight around here. For instance, the Woody Shaw Muse recording and the possible history behind that being demos for BN? Outstanding! You are all a wealth of knowledge and it is a privilege to be here.

You will love the Mosaic box.  Hours of pleasure and not a dud in the bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My card was charged. Waiting on a shipping notice. The Gazette said they were shipping the Desmond sets now I hope that doesn't put mine on the back burner. I think it ships fairly soon after they charge the card thought, correct?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jazzcat28 said:

My card was charged. Waiting on a shipping notice. The Gazette said they were shipping the Desmond sets now I hope that doesn't put mine on the back burner. I think it ships fairly soon after they charge the card thought, correct?

 

That is usually the case, yes.  Excited for you to hear this set!  I may be doing a Night Lights drawn from it for Hank's 90th birthday next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

That is usually the case, yes.  Excited for you to hear this set!  I may be doing a Night Lights drawn from it for Hank's 90th birthday next month.

I'm excited as well! That sounds like a great idea for a Night Lights show David!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 8:50 PM, JSngry said:

See, you are the type of person who should be buying this set. A lot of us are buying it, ultimately, just to be buying shit. But you are in for a rare treat (hopefully), and I remember what it feels like to get all that Hank for the first-ish times.

Enjoy!

You HAD to say that. Haha.  I have the earlier Mobley set but only have High Voltage and Straight No Filter from the second set.  I've been very tempted but holding off because I feel like I haven't been listening enough to the many sets that I do have.  Today while working I've been shuffling all of my Mosaic sets (I have them ripped to the computer) and realizing again how great all the music is.  I'm inching toward it . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is - and has always been - my favorite period of Mobley. The earlier stuff, yes, that is extra-special in all kinds of ways. But this stuff grabbed me by the gut from jump, and nothing about that has changed.

so yeah - if you don't have this, please consider getting it. The rest of us, hey, we like to buy stuff, so thank us for keeping the market going for people who really need it. With any luck at all, it will be your turn someday! :g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I still await a shipping notice and the set. I talked with Scott on Friday last week and he said it should be out Friday or Monday (yesterday). Tom Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It arrived! I've only started listening but I like what I'm hearing so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.