miles65

New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

437 posts in this topic

I'm confused about something. If this is a recent set, why is it gone from the Mosaic website? There's like no reference to it. It couldn't have sold out that quick. I was waffling on whether or not to get it but it appears to be gone. Anybody got any inside info?

6 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I'm confused about something. If this is a recent set, why is it gone from the Mosaic website? There's like no reference to it. It couldn't have sold out that quick. I was waffling on whether or not to get it but it appears to be gone. Anybody got any inside info?

It sold out from what I understand. They didn't press as many - basically a modified on-demand model - and it was popular. I'm not sure how long they were able to secure the rights to it either. I do see where it's not listed in their Out Of Print sets, but I'm wondering if that's just because they haven't updated that page on their (outdated) site. 

They did two pressings of it and the second pressing seemed to sell out as pre-sales. 

38 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

They did two pressings of it and the second pressing seemed to sell out as pre-sales. 

Here's what I don't get... it wasn't even available that long.... It seems that if it was that popular they could have given us a Last Chance or Running Low warning. I don't recall even seeing that. Jeez....

9 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Here's what I don't get... it wasn't even available that long.... It seems that if it was that popular they could have given us a Last Chance or Running Low warning. I don't recall even seeing that. Jeez....

If I recall they sent an email saying preorders for the second pressing were running low. I know I ordered mine a couple days after the cutoff date. I’m not sure if mine came in as an order to the plant or I maybe got one of the extras they pressed.  Per the book my copy is 1,888 of 2,500

I just checked my email and I placed my order in 7/18/20. I think the 15th might have been the order by date they said. 

On 7/8/2020 at 11:12 AM, mjzee said:

Mosaic just sent an email:

Last Chance for final order of Hank Mobley set:
The set is currently on backorder and we will be submitting a final production order. If you
want to reserve a copy, please place your order by next Wednesday July 15th. We will then order to fill and expect to ship in 6 – 8 weeks. If you order by credit card we will not charge the card until set is ready to ship. Please note that if you order by Paypal, they will charge the funds at time of ordering.

Ahhhh I knew someone on here posted it. 

Mosaic has definitely trained me to preorder at the first possibility. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen news of the new Armstrong set in time for Christmas.

gregmo

Word from Ricky Riccardi is that there have been further delays and we're into mid-2021 as a release date for the Armstrong.

23 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

If I recall they sent an email saying preorders for the second pressing were running low. I know I ordered mine a couple days after the cutoff date. I’m not sure if mine came in as an order to the plant or I maybe got one of the extras they pressed.  Per the book my copy is 1,888 of 2,500

I just checked my email and I placed my order in 7/18/20. I think the 15th might have been the order by date they said. 

Ahhhh I knew someone on here posted it. 

Thanks. Clearly I missed that one... A little bummed... I do have some of the individual cds though.... Oh well... 

On 12/17/2020 at 4:03 PM, jazzbo said:

Word from Ricky Riccardi is that there have been further delays and we're into mid-2021 as a release date for the Armstrong.

Thanks for that update, Lon.

gregmo

For anyone interested, Jazz Messengers in Spain are currently listing the Hank Mobley 1963-70 as in stock.

Ordered on Sunday, delivered on Tuesday! it was on my doorstep when I returned home.

Compared only two tracks, but the sound on the box set seems to be a bit more detailed and have more space between the horns. But I will keep at least some of the CDs -those with the first three sessions into recording order.