Gil Melle - Gil's Guests

Tom 1960

I’ve only spun the entire disc once, plus the bonus tracks a second time just now.

The jury’s still out… but so far at least, the bonus session might just be the highlight of the entire disc for me.

The “Teddy Charles” factor is really a plus! — and I wish the bonus session had been its own album-length release.

Circa 2001 I was on a Melle kick and bought everything of his I could put my eyes on.The Tower on East 8th St corner of Broadway had all of his BN and OJC cds and the two Toshiba-EMI 10" BN represses. I also have a couple of his late 1960s-early 1970s electronic soundtrack LPs. Not a completist, just a fan.

He was a brilliant individual, what we would call the Renaissance man.

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, Tom 1960 said:

I was also thinking about this release, but might wait for a better price than what is available presently on Amazon. 

Primitive Modern / Quadrama

I just bought this ($12 used from a brick-n-morter!).  And third time through I'm finally warming to it, which is to say it didn't bowl me over the first time.

Joe Cinderella (guitar) is the strongest thing about it, if you ask me.  Still, the whole thing is sort of growing on me.

The US domestic CD of this includes Melle's Quardrama album too, which is very similar (same instrumentation, both dates with Cinderella, thankfully) -- but I'm glad it was included, bumping the disc up to ~68 minutes.  Some of it is a little sleepy though -- but the hotter tracks are nice (almost entirely cuz of Joe).

Here's the original cover of the second bonus date..

51kGBc8BneL._SY355_.jpg

one of my more recent Melle finds was on the Creel Pone/Alpha State label (yes, I know it may not be legit) - it's a double CD covering his three "electronica" releases from 68-71 ie Tome IV (Verve), Waterbirds (Nocturne) & The Andromeda Strain (Kapp) both 10" & 12" versions

https://alphastate.nyc/products/gil-melle-the-andromeda-strain?_pos=1&_sid=a21186b41&_ss=r

27 minutes ago, romualdo said:

one of my more recent Melle finds was on the Creel Pone/Alpha State label (yes, I know it may not be legit) - it's a double CD covering his three "electronica" releases from 68-71 ie Tome IV (Verve), Waterbirds (Nocturne) & The Andromeda Strain (Kapp) both 10" & 12" versions

https://alphastate.nyc/products/gil-melle-the-andromeda-strain?_pos=1&_sid=a21186b41&_ss=r

It may not be legit, but it is incredibly lucid! 

Weird. I always wanted to buy that record because Phil Woods was supposed to be on it. Now I find out that according to this thread, Hal McKusick was the alto player!

Thank you for revealing that fact. I would have had a violent reaction to hearing HM instead of PW. You probably saved many innocent lives.💀

On 10/3/2023 at 8:36 PM, romualdo said:

Thanks, very impressive site.  I ordered this and the Cherry/Appleton Flying Dutchman (with the other Appleton as a bonus).