The best room treatment effect video I've ever seen.

Dmitry

That was cool but in the end, was that the best sound? Room interactions are part of seeing a band play live. While I would agree that the untreated room sounded pretty awful, the fully treated room sounded dead. Also, this video is really only valid for that single drum placed in that single location. Add a few more instruments and this changes again. Put speakers in there and it changes another way. What's good for this drum in this room might not work for a pair of speakers in a different spot.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That was cool but in the end, was that the best sound? Room interactions are part of seeing a band play live. While I would agree that the untreated room sounded pretty awful, the fully treated room sounded dead. Also, this video is really only valid for that single drum placed in that single location. Add a few more instruments and this changes again. Put speakers in there and it changes another way. What's good for this drum in this room might not work for a pair of speakers in a different spot.

Yes, and on top of your comments, no one's music room consists exclusively of such hard surfaces. Furniture, carpet are going to effect things too. 

7 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Yes, and on top of your comments, no one's music room consists exclusively of such hard surfaces. Furniture, carpet are going to effect things too. 

Good points Dan.

My last house had a lively listening room. Cathedral ceilings, strange angles, hardwood floors, large glass windows, a slider, an open staircase, a balcony, a brick fireplace - you name the worst things for a listening room - this room had it. I put down a large area rug and it helped tremendously. I hung a huge canvas painting along the main wall and that helped quite a bit too. In the end, after adding these "wife approved" sound modifications, it was still a bit of an echo chamber, but with these few treatments, it worked for me for almost 20 years.

31 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I think he's a drummer, not an audiophile. Still, this is pretty clear that a room makes a huge part of the listening experience. I don't think most of us will realize how much improvement proper sound treatment will make, until they actually do it.

Every bit helps. I wouldn't worry about deadening the room before one actually proceeds to sound-treat. It's like being concerned about the adverse effects of exercising without doing the actual exercising. :) 

Can't see the video at work here, but is the objective to make a listening room sound like a studio (per Kevin's  "dead")? Not sure if that would be desirable or not, Rudy's was great, as were so many of the old ones, but as time went on and the goal became deadness and maximum separation rather than blend (so the record could be made from the music instead of a record being made of the music)...not sure I'd want to listen in my house to something like that. Playing in them was not usually fun, I can tell you that. The only way you could get a feel of liveness was through the headphones, and....no, thanks. Ear condoms.

But maybe that's not what they're going for?

• 2 weeks later...