The Searchers

GA Russell

The Searchers have announced that they will retire next month after 57 years of performing.

John McNally, the last of the original members, suffered a mild stroke in 2017.  Another founder, Mike Pender, left the group decades ago, and continues to tour with a group he calls Mike Pender's Searchers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Searchers_(band)

There are three collections to commemorate it all.  

Collected - $16.34 + $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/Collected-SEARCHERS/dp/B007F6CDHA/

The Farewell Album - $7.81 + $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Album-Searchers/dp/B07JYQTKNP/

When You Walk In The Room: Complete Pye Recordings 1963-1967 - $38.79 prime
https://www.amazon.com/When-You-Walk-Room-Recordings/dp/B07MX27KSQ/

I can also recommend the cd of their two Sire albums, Another Night: The Sire Recordings 1979-1981 - $19.14 prime
https://www.amazon.com/Another-Night-Sire-Recordings-1979-1981/dp/B076CVSCF5/

Obviously I did NOT associate the title with an "also" John Wayne western movie but was quite surprised that the British Beat invasion has a U.S. fan community (of sorts ;)) beyond the Beatles to come to the fore on this forum with this kind of detail ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Lifelong favorites of mine.  "Needles and Pins" and "When You Walk in the Room" are subjectively THE two British Invasion records to me, even more than the Beatles records.  I have a ton of stuff by them already, but look forward to that "Complete Pye Recordings" box coming out in April.   And the 1979-1980 Sire material is fabulous, should have been a huge hit.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Obviously I did NOT associate the title with an "also" John Wayne western movie but was quite surprised that the British Beat invasion has a U.S. fan community (of sorts ;)) beyond the Beatles to come to the fore on this forum with this kind of detail ...

Steve - I would have expected that you would have thought of the film immediately, since Buddy Holly wrote "That'll Be the Day" after seeing it.

33 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Steve - I would have expected that you would have thought of the film immediately, since Buddy Holly wrote "That'll Be the Day" after seeing it.

My understanding has long been that the group took their name from the movie, though that may be urban legend.

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I think many of us probably cut our musical teeth on that music.    I actually go MUCH deeper than the Searchers on this, well into the Merseybeats, the Swingin' Blue Jeans, and beyond.

26 minutes ago, felser said:

My understanding has long been that the group took their name from the movie, though that may be urban legend.

Wikipedia indeed says so.

Just checked the Wiki entry on the movie too, but not even the German title rings a bell for me. I  must have seen the movie at least once but don't remember right now.

24 minutes ago, felser said:

I think many of us probably cut our musical teeth on that music.    I actually go MUCH deeper than the Searchers on this, well into the Merseybeats, the Swingin' Blue Jeans, and beyond.

I see. I came too late for that music but did explore them in my earlier collecting days quite a bit too (not so much anymore in more recent times). Anyway, it's nice to see even the less obvious candidates maintain their audience even outside the UK. Over here and outside dedicated fans the Merseybeat bands today usually fall in the no man's land gap between the Beatles, the Stones, British Blues (Korner, Mayall, Yardbirds, early Moody Blues et al.), a few German "cult" beat bands and 60s soul. I am under the impression even 60s U.S. Garage Punk has more of a subculture following here (among listeners who are way too young to have come of listening age at that time) than Merseybeat bands.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Liverpool Beats, Rutles, whoever, all enjoyable to me!  I'll easily take either of them over "The Long and Winding Road" or "Octopus's Garden" or "Blue Jay Way" or "Within You Without You".  This is my favorite of the recreations.  Also maybe my favorite "B" movie of all-time.  For the whole thing to work, they needed to come up with a song and performance that sounded like it coud/would have been a big hit in 1964, and they succeeded beautifully.

Just now, Big Beat Steve said:

Actually the Rutles came along MUCH later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles

A sort of "revival spoof".

I know that, so did the Oneders :P.  Doesn't change my point.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

My mom got me that Liverpool Beats record from the A&P a few weeks after the Sullivan show. She tried to convince me it was The Beatles, and for all I know, she really thought it was. I figured out pretty quickly that it wasn't, but had a good time playing the record anyway.

They used to sell those sort of knock-off albums in grocery stores.  99 cents or whatever, which was actually a decent chunk of change ca. 1964.

10 minutes ago, felser said:

They used to sell those sort of knock-off albums in grocery stores.  99 cents or whatever, which was actually a decent chunk of change ca. 1964.

Over here too. They often are fun - and sometimes not even all that bad.

A bit like the "budget"(est) cover versions of r'n'r tunes in the 50s on the BELL label.