Sony Music Cuts Off Third Party Licensing (?!?)

Lush Life

22 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Too bad for post-1962 music but this sounds like European P.D. labels suddenly wil become of yet more interest, if only as a a stopgap measure and act of self-defense. ^_^

Indeed.  If the Sonys of the world are going to sit on their hands, the PD labels will fill the gap.  

29 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

:lol:

The cloud ain’t going nowhere, folks. 

I agree completely. The cloud (streaming) will be one of few ways to make money out of the back catalogs once the CD is gone. BTW, buying CD:s already now feels to me a bit like buying printed versions of PDF files, unless there is added value in the physical package (booklets, attractive box sets etc). 

41 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I agree completely. The cloud (streaming) will be one of few ways to make money out of the back catalogs once the CD is gone. BTW, buying CD:s already now feels to me a bit like buying printed versions of PDF files, unless there is added value in the physical package (booklets, attractive box sets etc). 

Same here. Only CDs I’ve bought in the last six or seven years are box sets. 

Once the advanced audio codecs caught up to CD sonically, it just didn’t make any sense to keep buying them. Hell, brick and mortars no longer carry them, by and large. 

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The Cloud ain't going nowhere (in general), but anything I bought from somebody that they put up on the cloud for me (and my access is controlled through them), sure as hell might go somewhere.

And you do readily admit that’s nothing more than unfounded paranoia, right? 

"Will" would be unfounded paranoia. "Might" is simply an objective look at the current controls that are not in place. "Might" is correct, at this time.

I'll take "might" over "can't" any day - and then proceed accordingly within the bounds of basic human decency and executable personal choice.

Oh, btw - the "end of CD" and being your own archivist does not mean making more CDs. Fuck that, there's not enough room in this house. But externals are cheap, small, and reliable enough.Even personally owned server networks are a viable proposition for like-minded individuals.

Speaking of which, I need to somehow get the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble record on Red ripped from K-Mart cassette to digital files while/if I still can. If I lose that one, it's my own fault.

Just saying, the poles are this -  either you have a collection of your own or you consume somebody else's. The model of the previous century seemed to count on at least some overlap of those two.The model for this current century seems to be aligning with the latter, at the expense of the former.

Good luck on that one!

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

People - you need to be your own library, your own archive. Now more than ever, and it may well get worse.

I believe it is time for listening to these own libraries and archives .... as senior moments are increasing - at least with me - lot of surprises are awaiitn` ;) ....

I don't think the issue is "the" cloud, I'm not sure that there's any such thing. Cloud computing/storage is a technique more than it is an entity. No problem there. The problem is whose "cloud" will it be, theirs or ours. And I'm perfectly willing to engage in a consensual cloud-based joining of individual libraries to be made available for streaming to its collective contributors.

But how legal is that going to be? Let's find out, I say. Because at this point of things, you know, fuck Sony. Them and that other record company. Fuck 'em both.

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I don't think the issue is "the" cloud, I'm not sure that there's any such thing. Cloud computing/storage is a technique more than it is an entity.

Correct.  The "cloud" is just a network of servers that you have access to, but don't need to maintain.  I help run a huge datacenter of them, for hospital applications.  A lot of the consumer "cloud" is actually just servers run by Amazon (Amazon Web Services) or Microsoft (Azure)

8 hours ago, Brad said:

We seem to be back to the debate of the cloud (streaming) or your library (physical media, e.g., cd or vinyl). I prefer the latter.  Clouds are for looking at on a nice summer day :lol:

It doesn’t have to be streaming. You can also back up your physical collection to the cloud. The cloud is more about redundancy than anything.