Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paul secor

Favorite Horn Trio Records

95 posts in this topic

The piano trio thread turned up some interesting choices. How about "obscure" (or at least fairly obscure) horn trios?
Anyone can choose trio records by Sonny, Ornette, Cecil, Air, etc. if they choose to, but I assume that most already know about those.

I'll start with a few:

R-2844925-1303665922.jpeg.jpg

Roy Campbell Pyramid: Communion

R-2045507-1264564685.jpeg.jpg

Don Ellis: Out of Nowhere - I like this one better than How Time Passes.

R-6173965-1412915942-2549.jpeg.jpg

Louis Cottrell Trio: Bourbon Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ea19f661153d334fb86033e1e7128fdc.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

ea19f661153d334fb86033e1e7128fdc.jpg

 

Good one. Looks like the expanded reissue is on hold - I hope not permanently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51iDCcjWyUL._SY355_.jpg

Regarding Konitz, has Motion made it's way into the "standard library" yet? If not, the library's not yet complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, paul secor said:

The piano trio thread turned up some interesting choices. How about "obscure" (or at least fairly obscure) horn trios?
Anyone can choose trio records by Sonny, Ornette, Cecil, Air, etc. if they choose to, but I assume that most already know about those.

I'll start with a few:

R-2844925-1303665922.jpeg.jpg

Roy Campbell Pyramid: Communion

R-2045507-1264564685.jpeg.jpg

Don Ellis: Out of Nowhere - I like this one better than How Time Passes.

R-6173965-1412915942-2549.jpeg.jpg

Louis Cottrell Trio: Bourbon Street

The Louis Cottrell album is wonderful.  As I recall, the CD reissue adds a couple of tunes that were on a N.O. collection on Riverside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not that obscure, but the trio tracks with LT, Oscar Pettiford, and Skeeter Best are superb.

31T4WfRI5JL._AC_US218_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely this is not obscure?

juliushemphill-rawmaterials2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly obscure compared to the celebrated RCA Goodman trio recordings:

612dL7Cz+RL._AC_US218_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Davison-Wettling-Charlie Queener (obscure as hell -- recorded live at a Wettling gig, shortly before his death) is superb. (Ooops -- can't put my hands on my copy, damn it, but I think Kenny Davern may be on it too.)

Don't recall the Altschul that well, and I'm not a big Irabagon fan, but my memory is that Altschul himself is in excellent form.

JCD-22.jpg

61YvDtv274L._AC_US218_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooray for Lucky and Konitz!  ... And I would definitely say that Motion is "in the canon" these days.  At least it is in my book. ;) 

 

Not sure whether these qualify as obscure -- but they're some of my favorite (non-piano) trio records:

51OSIzP-qJL._SX425_.jpg



R-1127382-1355633669-4394.jpeg.jpg

 

R-3276824-1323553734.jpeg.jpg

with Tony Malaby & Tom Rainey

 

R-3722313-1341759429-2461.jpeg.jpg

with Chris Potter & Bill Stewart

 

71BKwjSyegL._SS420_.jpg

This isn't what you might expect from these three musicians.

 

EDIT:
One more!

81k6tzrBpWL._SS440_.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Surely this is not obscure?

juliushemphill-rawmaterials2.JPG

Probably more obscure than it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EHE.jpg

R-1096376-1392298453-8968.jpeg.jpg

R-1096403-1301410610.jpeg.jpg

The group is no longer really "obscure", but these, their first three records, are. none have been on CD?

All three are superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Culver is an excellent trombonist; Rigby (with Cameron Brown and Gerald Cleaver) is an up-and-coming tenor man; Cyrille needs no introduction.

41T02P8GEML.jpg

41dVY58gh5L.jpg

51e-PhV320L._SX425_.jpg

41QNyV36-WL._AC_US218_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The group is no longer really "obscure", but these, their first three records, are. none have been on CD?

All three are superb.

Thanks for the heads-up on these, Jim.  Haven't heard any of them!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3

Dandy release by an excellent tenor man.

Edited by paul secor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

... Cyrille needs no introduction.

41T02P8GEML.jpg

 

Another one that I need to look into! :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-6180757-1413070183-6627.jpeg.jpg

one of the better ones, and one of the more obscure ones (I think?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-6180757-1413070183-6627.jpeg.jpg

one of the better ones, and one of the more obscure ones (I think?)

Yes and yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

The Davison-Wettling-Charlie Queener (obscure as hell -- recorded live at a Wettling gig, shortly before his death) is superb. (Ooops -- can't put my hands on my copy, damn it, but I think Kenny Davern may be on it too.)

Don't recall the Altschul that well, and I'm not a big Irabagon fan, but my memory is that Altschul himself is in excellent form.

JCD-22.jpg

61YvDtv274L._AC_US218_.jpg

Both excellent!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Should Care

Sound isn't great - but the music is. And there's not all that much Percy France out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another killer trio LP:

JackWalrath_WhollyTrinity_1.png

The best Walrath-as-a-leader record I've heard.  And I don't think it's ever been reissued.

 

 

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

one of the better ones, and one of the more obscure ones (I think?)

Good call. You hipped me to that one a while ago. :tup  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbenannt.png

Archie Shepp + Cameron Brown + Clifford Jarvis .... obscure because released on HORO ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

61ZTFyRqYML._SY355_.jpg

Probably not overly obscure, but should be known better ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are 8 obscure horn trio albums.

Paul Clavis / Alan Barnes / Jim Hart - Swingin In Studio One - Woodville

Scott Hamilton / Jake Hanna / Dave McKenna - Major League - Concord

Lee Konitz Trio with Dick Katz & Wilbur Little - Oleo - Sonet

Ralph LaLama Trio - Bop Juice - Small's Live

Dave McKenna / Scott Hamilton / Jake Hanna - No Bass Hit - Concord

Grant Stewart Trio - Cellar Live

Grant Stewart Trio - Roll On - Cellar Live

Lew Tabackin Trio - Live at Vartan Jazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.