How to keep up with al the new stuff?

Pim

Okay, so I am trying to follow all the new releases and reissues. Yet, still I am surprised a lot of times by all the new releases or reissues mentioned here. That makes me a bit afraid that I miss beautiful brand new reissues and new releases all the time.

My question to you fellow board members is: how do you keep up with all the new reissues and releases? Is there a good way to follow all this new stuff or do people have the same problem as me? Would like to have some tips!

Edited by Pim

I am having the same problem you have and have largely given up trying to really keep track of what is there even in my "core" interest areas. I do check various sites of reissue labels every now and then and follow reviews and recmmendations in various places (fanzines, blogs, forums such as this one, etc.) but this is spotty, I know.
And then there is the problem of money and storage space so I figure that sometimes it is better not to know everything and be able to say that you don't "need" everything anyway. ^_^ (Does the latter statement disqualify me as a collector or am I just being sensible? ;))

IFWIW, my procedure is to check theseconddisc.com (shows new releases for the week every Friday) , superdeluxeedition.com (shows coming releases for the week every Monday), and the new releases section on allmusic.com (shows new releases for the week every Friday), as well as following along in the neighborhood here.  The first two sites I mentioned carry limited jazz coverage, but are fabulous for rock/pop/soul releases, especially reissues.  

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Okay, so I am trying to follow all the new releases and reissues. Yet, still I am surprised a lot of times by all the new releases or reissues mentioned here. That makes me a bit afraid that I miss beautiful brand new reissues and new releases all the time.

My question to you fellow board members is: how do you keep up with all the new reissues and releases? Is there a good way to follow all this new stuff or do people have the same problem as me? Would like to have some tips!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/newrelease/jazz/index.html?month=2019-02

https://www.dustygroove.com/coming-soon/jazz

Pim, you probably have some favorite artists. Search for albums by them, and get whatever you can afford. With most labels, it is easy to find a good CD version of an album. If you can find a Japanese version, those are always the best sounding, in my experience.

Sony's U.S. CDs are good, and I have never heard a bad Fantasy CD of Prestige or Riverside.

Blue Note CDs are a complex issue, with many remasterers. There is much difference of opinion about these, and I don't want to dwell on that here. Here is my personal recommendation: where possible, go for the 90s "Blue Note Works" CDs or the Japanese CDs from the last decade, especially if you want the extra tracks (which aren't on the "Blue Note Works CDs).

Thanks a lot for these tips! I know Amazon, allmusic and dustygroove but never checked their upcoming releases... how stupid. Now I have spotted the ‘Paper Man’ reissue on vinyl that is going to cost me Some money!

i inreed have a section of favorite artists I regularly check and the cdjapan link is in my bookmarks :)

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, Pim said:

Now I have spotted the ‘Paper Man’ reissue on vinyl that is going to cost me Some money!

I sure the heck wish Tolliver's Paper Man would come out on CD someday.  There was an mp3 release (legit) several years ago (maybe with one bonus alternate, I can't remember - I never bought it, as I don't really do downloads much).  I've got a nice burn of it off an LP from someone here 10+ years ago, but I'd love to have it legit on CD -- just about the only Tolliver leader-date I don't have on CD, iirc.

I thought that was part of the "how do you keep up?" question.  Now we've got some unknown projects that Zev/BN ought to be announcing sometime this year after his hiring. 

Can he really have 18 or 19 things to put out or will that come down to the bean counters and we get 3 or 4?