Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

A lot of hoffmanite TT belts have started failing simultaneously then. :lol:

Ha ha ha ha ha... yes, this would be true. There are a lot of people hearing this.

BTW - both of those sound sample links I sent were from two different people with the same Tone Poet LP. I think the first one sounds much worse, both with regards to the warble as well as the sound.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, unfortunately I hear it too. I just compared it to the 2 different masterings on Spotify, and they sound better with no weird warble/phasing.

My frustration is these Tone Poets were advertised as the definitive version of these recordings (sorry, I think I've said this before). I guess I have a different idea of what that means than Blue Note/RTI does unfortunately.

I'll probably pick up the 2 or 3 remaining titles I'm interested in though - because I can't afford original pressings of these tiles and they are pretty good. I saw an 'Introducing Kenny Burrell' original for $950 at a shop. $950?!?! And it sold, too. Out of hand IMO...

My other thought - if you mess up in a production, and someone (or a lot of someones) call(s) you on it, just admit it and move on. Denying it kind of makes you look stand-offish or ignorant. I don't know what happened or where in the process it happened, but something's not right with Black Fire. An example - the last album by the rock band Dream Theater, the Astonishing, had 2 blatant production errors and the band was called out on it online. John Petrucci, the guitar player/producer, claimed he didn't hear anything and it sounded fine to him. Ummmmm...just admit something got messed up, now it's a piece of history, and move on.

Sorry for the ramble.

BN75 LPs anyone...?:lol:

Edited by Aftab
added paragraph

Yeah I checked Hoffman Tone Poet Blog the other day to see what was coming up.

Lots of useless bickering. I thought of Nicholson film quote “What if this is as good as it gets.”

Not a good look for the Vinyl community, just crazy. My copy Of Black Fire sounds good on my system. 

I havent been following that thread- but Ill tell you this- i dumped by Music Matters "Dippin'" stereo in favor of the NY USA Mono.  At first I appriciated the clarity, but after a while it seemed like what i thought was clarity actually seemed like treble boost, but I dont know if thats correct.  But the mono original sounded way more natural, compressed or not

12 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

I havent been following that thread- but Ill tell you this- i dumped by Music Matters "Dippin'" stereo in favor of the NY USA Mono.  At first I appriciated the clarity, but after a while it seemed like what i thought was clarity actually seemed like treble boost, but I dont know if thats correct.  But the mono original sounded way more natural, compressed or not

The ‘Dippin’’ mono NY USA is a really nice sounding LP. Bags of punch !

Heres the deal, I am not diving into this new era of reissues, Ill get the Cornbread only if one of my main dawgs on here actually speificcally recomendeds it over a NY USA.  One guy on hoffman said yyyy its way better but i didnt even examine his stereo profile i dont know if he knows what hes talkin about for sure......it always sounded like a more lo-fi sounding date to me, i mean ive been listening to it for years- is the new one really a HQ transfer and not treble boost city?

oh and Minor Move would be nice too, never seen that on lp

also this is probably what don was was talking about when he said to me re: blue note "stay tuned" <_<

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

I’ll have to dig my NY USA (Liberty era) mono ‘Cornbread’ out. Recall it sounding fine - the main gripe I have with that issue is that all copies I have ever seen seem to have sleeves cut at an angle from perpendicular. They must have all been done by a trainee on Friday afternoon..;)

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, bresna said:

"Minor Move" is coming out in the Tone Poet series in October.

Although I just punished a new cartridge, I’m not sure I see the need to replace the CDs in that I have, which are mostly Japanese anyway.  I think the Henderson I have is from the late 80s or 90s so that might be a possibility. 

I'm spinning "Introducing Kenny Burrell" right now and it is indeed a very nice sounding LP. The mono is so good, I had to check to make sure I didn't have my center channel speaker playing! :)

Almost an inch of dead wax on both sides though, which looks weird. Makes me wonder if this could have been even more dynamic if cut with more space between the grooves.

BTW - before anyone gets on my case about this, I wrote an experienced LP cutter about this a few weeks back and he said he liked to keep the dead wax area as small as possible because the further apart you made the grooves, the less of chance of a skip.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Lots of traffic on the Hoffman Forum reporting that side 2 of ‘Cornbread’ has the ‘Black Fire’ issue.

Just popped over there and heard some sound samples - that does not sound good at all!

Here's the Tone Poet sample that was posted - Herbie's solo...

Ceora

Edited by Aftab