Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Is Juno not an option? Not having any idea of their EU postage rates but their UK rates are very competitive

Yeah it probably is, Amazon also of course but with new releases I like to support the local record store here in this small town ;)

1 minute ago, Pim said:

Yeah it probably is, Amazon also of course but with new releases I like to support the local record store here in this small town ;)

Admirable, you're lucky to still have one so it's worth supporting. I'd normally buy mine from Honest Jons for the same reason but I found something else very cheap on Juno and just had to add Jackie to the order :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Admirable, you're lucky to still have one so it's worth supporting. I'd normally buy mine from Honest Jons for the same reason but I found something else very cheap on Juno and just had to add Jackie to the order :rolleyes:

Yeah I am very happy with it. Run by some real vinyl heads. Heemskerk is a town with about 40.000 residents. There used to be around 4 record stores in the area (including nearest towns) when I grew up in the ‘90’s. Then from 2005 there wasn’t even one anyonore. When this record store opened in 2016 I felt so happy :) 

On 8/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, Eric said:

Hmmm ... seems I bought copies of the Hutcherson and the McLean from both Dusty Groove and Acoustic Sounds.  I’ll sell them both at my cost - and throw in shipping to you.  PM me if you are interested.

Up - please PM if interested.  Received copes from Acoustic Sounds - will take the box from DG, slap your address on it and sent it your way.

• 3 months later...

I've got a few of those Music Matters 45 RPM albums, still sealed. It was an impulse buy. I was thinking maybe it's time to sell. I checked eBay, and some of them sell for a lot of money, especially the ones on SRX vinyl, of which I only just found out about it yesterday.

It's hard to imagine that after decades there are still developments in vinyl composition that surpass the existing formulas, but I could be just talking nonsense, and the SRX vinyl is amazing.

Edited by Dmitry

7 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I've got a few of those Music Matters 45 RPM albums, still sealed. It was an impulse buy. I was thinking maybe it's time to sell. I checked eBay, and some of them sell for a lot of money, especially the ones on SRX vinyl, of which I only just found out about it yesterday.

It's hard to imagine that after decades there are still developments in vinyl composition that surpass the existing formulas, but I could be just talking nonsense, and the SRX vinyl is amazing.

I didn't think they made any 45 RPM LPs on SRX vinyl... I only know of 33 RPM records pressed with SRX vinyl.

I didn't buy any of those SRX LPs. $80 each? And a few of the titles required you to buy the whole set to get them? No way. I'll "suffer" with my CDs at that price. :)

1 hour ago, bresna said:

There was a change in the mastering team as the series went on. I wonder if you were hearing that?

If I recall, they fine tuned their technique as the series went on. The early ones were fine though.

19 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I've been out of the loop with the Music Matters. They are charging $75 +s/h for 33 1/3 rpm LPs now?! That is ...a lot. Otoh, the JRVGs used to be $27.99 20 years ago.

Edit: what is their price structure based on? The 45rpm LPs are priced from $39.95 to $99.95.

They introduced a new demand-driven pricing model sometime back, I believe, for the 45rpms which are still in stock.

Edited by sidewinder

19 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

If I recall, they fine tuned their technique as the series went on. The early ones were fine though.

They also dropped SH from the deadwax about halfway through the 45 RPM series, which is what I meant. Others have noted a shift as well, so you are not alone.

Myself, I refused to buy any 45 RPM LPs. 10 minutes a side for minimal (if any) sound improvement? Nope. Give me 33 RPM or I'll stick with CDs. :)

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

They also dropped SH from the deadwax about halfway through the 45 RPM series, which is what I meant. Others have noted a shift as well, so you are not alone.

Myself, I refused to buy any 45 RPM LPs. 10 minutes a side for minimal (if any) sound improvement? Nope. Give me 33 RPM or I'll stick with CDs. :)

Well, at least in theory, the 45 RMP 12" LP will sound noticeably superior to a 33 1/3 rpm.

This is a good explanation why: https://www.classic45s.com/why45s/45sound.html

I'm with you on the changing sides every 7 to 10 minutes, though.  I'm sitting on 30 of the unopened ones...an impulse buy, as I confessed above.

22 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I'm sitting on 30 of the unopened ones

Well, these things are increasing in market value like crazy. Not sure how long that'll last, as I do think the Tone Poets will cut into the margins a bit with similar titles. But some of the more hyped up titles will probably climb higher. 

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Play them? They need to be left on display in their Holy Shrine and given votive offerings daily...:lol:

I buy records to play them. :)

The people that buy & sell sealed records always crack me up. They have no idea what they're buying but even better, they never even find out... they just re-sell to someone else to find out. I've been buying records a long time and you never know what's inside that record sleeve until to open it. Underfill, center hole offset, the wrong record, warps, pressing defects, etc. All just waiting for that buyer to find. Ha ha ha.

There was that one time I bought a sealed Prestige LP and when I opened it, I found an LP with bits of ground up label embedded in the playing area. Yeah, they were audible.

And I have to amend what I just said to make it clear that I am NOT talking about you here Dmitry! I understand where you're coming from. I'm talking about the people who buy sealed records as an investment.

I ordered this lot of about 3 dozen from Music Matters when I was under the influence...of the Hoffman Forum. I did play 6 or 7 of them, and they sounded remarkable. The rest stayed sealed in their shipping boxes and I forgot about them; we were fixing our house then...that was 9 years ago. I can't believe I've had them this long! You are right about the unpredictability factor - some are possibly buggered enough for the particularly anal buyer to raise a shit storm.

Just pulled them out. On Side A I'm itching to open and play them, on Side B, I am sure the PITA level will creep up rather fast.

6 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I ordered this lot of about 3 dozen from Music Matters when I was under the influence...of the Hoffman Forum. I did play 6 or 7 of them, and they sounded remarkable. The rest stayed sealed in their shipping boxes and I forgot about them; we were fixing our house then...that was 9 years ago. I can't believe I've had them this long! You are right about the unpredictability factor - some are possibly buggered enough for the particularly anal buyer to raise a shit storm.

Just pulled them out. On Side A I'm itching to open and play them, on Side B, I am sure the PITA level will creep up rather fast.

You could probably offer to trade straight-up for their 33 RPM counterpart for many of the harder-to-find titles and find some takers on the Hoffman forums.

And if you do decide to sell, go to the Hoffman forums' WTB area. I was just there the other day and someone was offering $150 for a couple 45 RPM Music matters Blue Notes.

If you do swap for the 33 RPM version, see if there is an SRX version and ask for that. :)

• 1 month later...
Just now, Brad said:

I purchased several TPS when BN had their sale in December. I listened to Minor Move last night and the sound is pretty amazing, better than the cd I have. 

Yeah I was a bit sceptical at first but I must admit they are pretty great. But the 40 euro price here in the Netherlands is still a bit over the top. According to someone on the Hoffman board, the 2021 releases will we announced tomorrow...