Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Oh boy. Audiophiles be all like so into Ornette soon.

I see this as a positive effect of these releases but must admit I sometimes have to laugh about comments on th Steve Hoffman Forums. Like on every new Sam record: wow I’ve never heard of Billy Harper/Nathan Davis but this guy plays really nice…. Really guys? :lol: But hey if this makes more people listen to those guys, I’m all for it. 

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Oh no!

There goes your money? ;) Love the package and idea but 300 really is too much for me.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

What are they going to do about the material that's getting left out?

and what version of "We Now Interrupt For A Commercial" will they use? I don't like what they did for the CD.

What did they do on the CD? I only have the LP ...

Coda: I didn't realize there was so much extra music from the Golden Circle. Again, only have the LPs so never paid attention to the CDs.

Edited by Mark Stryker

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

They removed the verbal interruptions, made it a straight instrumental.

Uh, what? The verbal interruptions are the whole fucking point. 

"Here's the CD version of Mahler's Symphony No. 1 but we've cut out the pesky scherzo because its jokey mood is inconsistent with the rest of the piece." 

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The linked page seems to have been taken down now

Could it be that this Dutch shop had, intentionally or not, not respected some form an embargo? It was very strange that no other sales platform (nor Blue Note itself) announced the release of that box.

Edited by corto maltese

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

Could it be that this Dutch shop had, intentionally or not, not respected some form an embargo? It was very strange that no other sales platform (nor Blue Note itself) announced the release of that box.

Yes, I suspect as much. I read that BN have posted the cover on one of their social feeds with a 'watch this space' message so they probably want to tease it up a bit more

• 3 months later...

I am not so sure all of these will be repressed. Those of you who have followed the full thread are aware of the problems with some titles, especially early in the run. Many people didn't care or notice, but they could potentially risk an increased number of complaints if these titles were released again. And remastering them again is surely out of the question, especially if there is some tape damage involved. 

These releases are not worth this kind of money. If you want the titles on vinyl, there are other good sounding versions that are less expensive. 

Edited by Daniel A

I had an E-mail conversation with Joe Harley, who is the producer of the Tone Poet series for Blue Note, and he assured me that these LPs are not limited in any way. There have been massive delays at the pressing plants though, so many titles appear to be going out of print. Just be patient and they will come back into stock.

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Wasn't the tone Poet series supposed to be "un-limited"? Look at these prices. Are these titles out of print?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=tone+poet&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

If you go to the Blue Note website store, many (half?) of the Tone Poets are listed as Sold Out.

https://store.bluenote.com/collections/tone-poet-series