Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I had an E-mail conversation with Joe Harley, who is the producer of the Tone Poet series for Blue Note, and he assured me that these LPs are not limited in any way. There have been massive delays at the pressing plants though, so many titles appear to be going out of print. Just be patient and they will come back into stock.

Hmmm.   That’s good to know.   I’d like to get The Chant & Kicker.  

• 2 months later...

Joe Harley talked to 45 RPM Audiophile, a popular vinyl YouTube channel, on Saturday. The video is about an hour long  

The first thing he announced was that there would be a TP of Blue Train, which people have been clamoring for, and that it would be “something special.”  He wouldn’t further elaborate. I don’t if that means it’s some sort of box set which, considering that there are only two alternative takes would have to be more than that, or something else entirely.

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Oleo's destroyed? they made transfers of that before, yikes

Sounds like it is either the King LP or Mosaic Grant Green/Sonny Clark set for that title on vinyl.

’Sweet Honey Bee’ tape loss not a total surprise but no mention of ‘Jody Grind’.

Very Interesting interview !

Edited by sidewinder

12 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds like it is either the King LP or Mosaic Grant Green/Sonny Clark set for that title on vinyl.

’Sweet Honey Bee’ tape loss not a total surprise but no mention of ‘Jody Grind’.

Very Interesting interview !

Joe Harley knows that the master tape for "The Jody Grind" is a needle drop. I discussed it at length with him and Michael Cuscuna via E-mail. However, he did not say that this would preclude it from being reissued on LP, just that it might not be good enough for a Tone Poet (premium) reissue.

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Joe Harley talked to 45 RPM Audiophile, a popular vinyl YouTube channel, on Saturday. The video is about an hour long  

The first thing he announced was that there would be a TP of Blue Train, which people have been clamoring for, and that it would be “something special.”  He wouldn’t further elaborate. I don’t if that means it’s some sort of box set which, considering that there are only two alternative takes would have to be more than that, or something else entirely.

The Japanese CD reissue program has released 2 alternate takes of "Blue Train" and one of "Lazy Bird" but they only clock in at ~25 minutes. Maybe they will release these on a 2nd LP?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, Late said:

mclean_jack_tippinthe_104b.jpg

Got this one, not on the top of my Jackie Mac sessions, sound is fine, the piano is surprisingly well focused, though I never listened to other pressings.

edit: what I really want in this series are Jackie’s Demon Dance, Bobby’s Happenings and Duke’s Wahoo, all of the other stuff is vinylavailable on other form.

Edited by porcy62

16 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Got this one, not on the top of my Jackie Mac sessions, sound is fine, the piano is surprisingly well focused, though I never listened to other pressings.

edit: what I really want in this series are Jackie’s Demon Dance, Bobby’s Happenings and Duke’s Wahoo, all of the other stuff is vinylavailable on other form.

I think ‘Happenings’ came out in the Music Matters 45rpm series so unlikely to be a Tone Poet I guess. The other two must be high up the list.

Never came across an original NY ‘Happenings’ mono that didn’t have noise or distortion. I had one but ended up switching to a stereo, which had no problems.

I was amazed when ‘Wahoo’ appeared back in the day on the Pathe Marconi’s as it was a pretty obscure session at the time. Years later I was able to get it on a NY mono.

Edited by sidewinder

Just now, sidewinder said:

I think ‘Happenings’ came out in the Music Matters 45rpm series so unlikely to be a Tone Poet I guess. The other two must be high up the list.

I was amazed when ‘Wahoo’ appeared back in the day on the Pathe Marconi’s as it was a pretty obscure session at the time. Years later I was able to get it on a NY mono.

Wahoo too was on MM, as 33 rpm and I lost it. Nowadays is a Take No Prisoners record. Happenings is on my radar as King pressing, not yet found a decent deal, but I will prevail one of these days.