Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pim said:

Speaking of Bobby Hutcherson and the Tone Poets: I’d love a Tone Poet edition of Patterns!

Yes, that would be a good one. Came out as a Conn on vinyl with the ‘Wally’ in the runout. Unfortunately I think it was included in one of those recent Blue Note special boxes (muchos $) as an extra which might hinder it coming out as a TP. We can hope though.

3 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Every Hutcherson’s BN records should deserve a first class treatment IMO 

I’d maybe ponder a bit over ‘Natural Illusions’. Probably stick with my Applause..:)

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, that would be a good one. Came out as a Conn on vinyl with the ‘Wally’ in the runout. Unfortunately I think it was included in one of those recent Blue Note special boxes (muchos $) as an extra which might hinder it coming out as a TP. We can hope though.

I’d maybe ponder a bit over ‘Natural Illusions’. Probably stick with my Applause..:)

:D

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Unfortunately I think it was included in one of those recent Blue Note special boxes (muchos $) as an extra which might hinder it coming out as a TP. We can hope though.

I get that "Patterns" was included in one of those ridiculously-priced Blue Note boxes, but that box is long out of print so they are not affecting that box set's market. Blue Note should not be protecting an LP's re-sale value. They should reissue it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, bresna said:

I have to bite my tongue over on the Hoffman forums about the people complaining that Tyner's new Tone Poet LP, "Expansions", is cut lower in volume. I think I know why and I am glad that at least Kevin Gray is reading these audio forums are has adjusted his approach... at least for "Expansions". I wonder if the released cut was his first try at it? :)

Well, I was wrong. Kevin Gray is still cutting records too hot. The latest casualty is Lou Donaldson's "Blue Walk", issued as part of Blue Note's Classic Vinyl Series.

I am very glad that I stopped buying these records on release. I had this in my Amazon cart and held off waiting for reviews. The reviews are in - Everyone is saying that the congas distort badly on the track "Play Ray". Saved me $23. :)

On 4/13/2022 at 2:42 PM, sidewinder said:

Haha, I do have an original Liberty of that thing...

• 4 weeks later...

I have the mono Platinum SHM-CD from Japan and do enjoy its presentation and sound. I bet this mono LP will sound nice. But the stereo does have new alternates that I believe have never been released before. A hard choice. . . .

I may go for the cd release and consider the mono LP.

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have the mono Platinum SHM-CD from Japan and do enjoy its presentation and sound. I bet this mono LP will sound nice. But the stereo does have new alternates that I believe have never been released before. A hard choice. . . .

I may go for the cd release and consider the mono LP.

Thanks Lon.  The booklet is drawing my attention to the stereo vinyl ... which prompted my question.

• 4 weeks later...

To update those of you who care... I recently sent my LP of Hill's "Passing Ships" to Lon and he says that his playback is clean - no distortion during the track "Plantation Bag". I was able to get a clean payback with my backup cartridge, so this didn't shock me.

FWIW, I am filling you all in over here on this forum because I get the feeling I'm close to getting the boot from the Hoffman forums. A poster over there who claims to be an industry professional is saying that the distortion I heard on the "Passing Ships" LP is in his "copy of the master tape". I pointed out to him that some people can play the record without hearing the distortion, therefore, the distortion cannot be from the tape. He just refuses to acknowledge this basic fact. He claims that they can "master" the distortion away. I said that is more likely that whoever made his tape copy did so with the recording levels set too high. Depending on the gort (moderator) on duty, I may be in purgatory over there. :)

I should just put the idiot on ignore at this point.

Edited by bresna

15 hours ago, sonnymax said:

Again?

Yup. I can only take the idiocy for so long over there before I call one of them out. The latest one is a guy telling me that I need to respect the opinion of an "industry professional". Sure, me, a guy with a BSEE and 37 years of working in the high tech industry needs to bow down to a guy because he claims he sat in once when a record was cut.

I told him we don't need to taking out tape measures.