Mark Hollis passed away today

Aggie87

I know he's not a jazz artist, but Mark Hollis of Talk Talk passed away today.  One of my very favorite pop artists to emerge from the 80's new wave scene.  It's difficult for me to process this one, as he had a very short recording career and then disappeared completely after his one solo album in 1998, and I've always wondered why and where he might have gone musically had he continued recording.

I think some of the folks here may be aware of Talk Talk, but they started out as a relatively straight-forward new wave pop band on their first album, then produced an almost perfect pop album with "It's My Life", and then evolved over the next three albums into something entirely different.  Their later music was perhaps an early blueprint for some of the post rock that came later down the road, and some of Radiohead's music, among other things.

Hollis disappeared after the five Talk Talk albums and one solo album that continued in the same vein as the later band albums.  

Here's the first half of Spirit of Eden, to be enjoyed (as the first youtube commenter states) late at night with a bottle of red. 

Rest in Peace, Mark Hollis.

There's a jazz connection also. He worked on Anja Garbarek's record. She's a daughter of you know who.

Since the first time I heard it, I've always enjoyed heir biggest [only?] hit, It's My Life.

Just read the lyrics for the first time. Imho, it's bunch of gibberish. But I won't stop liking the song.

It's My Life
Funny how I find myself in love with you
If I could buy my reasoning I'd pay to lose
One half won't do
I've asked myself
How much do you commit yourself?
It's my life
Don't you forget
It's my life
It never ends
Funny how I blind myself
I never knew if I was sometimes played upon
Afraid to lose,
I'd tell myself what good you do
Convince myself
It's my life
Don't you forget
It's my life
It never ends
I've asked myself
How much do you commit yourself?
It's my life
Don't you forget
Caught in the crowd
It never ends
Edited by Dmitry

At times I wonder what these people do for decades after 'retiring' from the music biz. I'm assuming he made a few bucks/quid, enough to live off the royalties of his only hit song.

What about the other British new wave one-hit wonders from the 1980s...love their songs, not keen on seeing what they look like, but still, curious what the heck they do with their free time, of which they have oodles. How does one even retire from the showbiz...it seems like so much fun.

Hollis was very specific in stating he stopped making music to be a present father for his children. A choice that showed that showbiz wasn't the be all and end all for him (I think his approach to music making made that pretty explicit anyway). The royalty payments from his songwriting (more than one hit over here and the albums sold pretty well too) might well have given him an income sufficient for a comfortable, everyday living. His partner may well have worked and there's nothing to say he didn't do non-musical work either.

Plenty of the 80s hitmakers touring again and it's not a pretty sight...that's just from the tour posters

If there's not enough coming in from royalties, sell your stuff to Big Pharma. Didn't I hear "In Cars" on a current spot? Works for 70s acts too - Oh Ho Ho its MAGIC  will be forever transformed now but I am sure the songwriters got good coin. Or ducats.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

At times I wonder what these people do for decades after 'retiring' from the music biz. I'm assuming he made a few bucks/quid, enough to live off the royalties of his only hit song.

What about the other British new wave one-hit wonders from the 1980s...love their songs, not keen on seeing what they look like, but still, curious what the heck they do with their free time, of which they have oodles. How does one even retire from the showbiz...it seems like so much fun.

Work in an office?

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Hollis was very specific in stating he stopped making music to be a present father for his children. A choice that showed that showbiz wasn't the be all and end all for him (I think his approach to music making made that pretty explicit anyway). The royalty payments from his songwriting (more than one hit over here and the albums sold pretty well too) might well have given him an income sufficient for a comfortable, everyday living. His partner may well have worked and there's nothing to say he didn't do non-musical work either.

Plenty of the 80s hitmakers touring again and it's not a pretty sight...that's just from the tour posters

What does that even mean? It's not like he was touring constantly. 

Reminds me of when a politician suddenly decides to 'retire', he/she will invariably say they want to spend more time with their family.  Lo and behold , it turns out they have more than one. 😀

5 hours ago, Dmitry said:

From what I read he retreated with the Mrs to a farm smallholding in the 80s so was probably pretty self-sufficient. Pretty radical move though.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

What does that even mean? It's not like he was touring constantly. 

Reminds me of when a politician suddenly decides to 'retire', he/she will invariably say they want to spend more time with their family.  Lo and behold , it turns out they have more than one. 😀

It means nothing more than it says. He clearly stated that he felt he couldn't pay enough attention to his young children if he continued in the music business. Quite a simple concept really, he wanted to focus his energies elsewhere other than on music. 

45 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

From what I read he retreated with the Mrs to a farm smallholding in the 80s so was probably pretty self-sufficient. Pretty radical move though.

Good on him. In later years I think he was a resident of Tottenham - no smallholdings there. I know as it's just round the corner. I often wondered if I'd walked passed him on the high street