Entering the world of type 45 tube amp sound

Stefan Wood

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Googling "tube amp hot" brings up many discussions of this. Tube amps run warm to hot. Here's a discussion on headphone amps: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/do-all-tube-amps-run-hot.359543/ Headphone amps running hot seems to indicate that it isn't dependent on the load, correct?

Here's another discussion that actually starts off with a post showing the measured temps on an Dynaco ST120 amp while playing music: http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t828-tube-amps-get-pretty-warm-especially-in-the-summer-photo

composite2withtext.jpg

But he freely admits that he stressed the hell out of it with current hungry tubes and playing at a loud volume for several hours. If it hadn’t gotten really hot that would have been surprising. So that may not be the best example. 

Did you have current hungry tubes in your amp? Or do you know? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Stefan - what Type 45 tube amp are you picking up?

It is made by an independent builder who sells his amps on Ebay.  I actually bought it second hand from a guy in California who seems to buy and sell expensive hifi pieces like candy.  Got it for way less than what he bought it for, with high quality tubes and power cable.  I did my homework and checked people's reviews of his amps and he is highly regarded.  The guy I bought it from said it sounded like the famed Yashimoto 45 amp.  With some rare and highly regarded Peacock transformers and Triad chokes. western Electric tubes as well.  I was going to go the Decware or Elekit route until I saw this.  Free shipping too.  I even contacted the maker and told him I was getting the amp and he said if there are any issues I could ship it to him to fix.  His amps have been favorably compared to some of the best.  I know the guy who does the Glow in the Dark audio blog and when I told him about it he had seen the ad and thought I did well, as he knew the builder as well.

For what it's worth, the solid state amp I had ran hot, but it had some serious heat sinks that just made it warm to the touch.  Sold that during the furlough.   The Musical Paradise 301 tube amp I have is fantastic, and doesn't feel hot at all.  Takes all sorts of power tubes, as it is auto bias capabilities. 

Edited by Stefan Wood

5 minutes ago, Stefan Wood said:

Received it today.  But darn it, I can't enjoy it just yet as I am recovering from surgery.  Will be a few days or so.

Good luck to you! Don't lift that till you're 100%...and when you do, lift with your legs, not your back. Ask me how I know. 

36 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Good luck to you! Don't lift that till you're 100%...and when you do, lift with your legs, not your back. Ask me how I know. 

Yeah, I know as well! My old Mcintosh MC240 weighed a ton and because the weight was mainly in the transformers, it made for an awkward lift/carry. It's very unbalanced.

• 6 months later...