Jim Hall

Sundog

I've been listening to a lot of Jim Hall recently. All of it quite by accident, since none of the dates have been under his name. I'm constantly amazed by the beauty of his solo lines, and the uniqueness of his accompaniment. The guy has that "Midas Touch". Sure would like to hear your opinions of his work as a leader and as a sideman, or anything else "JH-related".

P.S. Just finished listening to Without A Song from Sonny Rollin's The Bridge. That song sums up everything about Jim Hall that I like, better than any words could ever say. Give it a spin if it's been awhile. :tup:tup:tup:tup

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Just finished listening to Without A Song from Sonny Rollin's The Bridge. That song sums up everything about Jim Hall that I like, better than any words could ever say. Give it a spin if it's been awhile. :tup:tup:tup:tup

Listening as I type this ... Loved that little unison line at the end of the bass solo ... Very good solo, in the pocket all the way.

Some of my favorite Hall is on Power of Three, with Michel Petrucianni. Great lines, rock solid comping, and evidently, very focused listening! He's right there with everything his trio mates play. He's so good here, to me, that sometimes I get frustrated by his playing elsewhere. Grand Slam is a good example of that. I don't mind him using effects, but I'm looking for those sweet, sweet lines, and getting something else entirely. I think my own preconceptions are getting in the way in this case.

It's always the little things that blow me away about a "Jim Hall" performance. A deceptive passing chord, one slightly dissonant note placed perfectly among the most beautiful phrase, the fact that each chorus he plays is more revealing than the last, or something like that unison lick you refer to. It all seems so effortless.

Jim Hall, a living Master indeed. From April 14-17 Harvard University will honor Jim Hall in a residency exploring his contributions to the music. There will be a discussion with Hall, free and open to the public. "The Muisic of Jim Hall" will be presented in a concert at Sanders Theatre on Saturday night at 8pm, April 17th. Bravo Harvard! Bravo Jim Hall!

Steve Schwartz

Jazz from Studio four

Fridays, 7p-12a

WGBH, 89.7, Boston

www.wgbh.org

If you don't have this one, it needs to be on your short list! It's a fantastic live trio recording from 1976, and was released on CD for the first time last year (Verve mini-LP). I don't have all that many of his recordings as a leader, but this one is my favorite.

f80440qdrc2.jpg

And don't forget his fantastic CTI recording, Concierto, with Chet Baker & Paul Desmond!

If you don't have this one, it needs to be on your short list!  It's a fantastic live trio recording from 1976, and was released on CD for the first time last year (Verve mini-LP).  I don't have all that many of his recordings as a leader, but this one is my favorite. 

f80440qdrc2.jpg

And don't forget his fantastic CTI recording, Concierto, with Chet Baker & Paul Desmond!

I agree 100% with Aggie that Live CD is FANTASTIC !

I haven't got a lot of Jim Hall's work but I really enjoy what I have. I thought the recent Bob Brookmeyer select came to life (for me) when the tracks with Jim Hall appeared.I have the Chico Hamilton mosaic which includes some lovely work by Jim also.

Edited by Gary

Guest ariceffron

what a crock. we had the crappiest ""jazz"" band, this band trio globo come play at our school. and harvard gets to have jim hall week. i guess thats what you get if you are harvard. harvard is the best college and jim hall is the best guitarist so it makes sense i guess.

i got that lp you show above, LIVE, for 3 bucks 2 days ago and am playing it over and over. i am also listening to the Haden/Hall duo show from januaury at the blue note. its really nice.

As is obvious by my avatar, Rollins is among my very favorites, especially his work from the '50s through the '60s. Love THE BRIDGE, especially the title tune and "John S." in which both Newk and Hall swing and interact terrifically. Got to see them at a reunion, can't remember whether it was Carnegie Hall or Lincoln Center back in '91 in which they reprised some of those tunes, including "Without a Song".

I can highly recommend from the same period Hall's work with Paul Desmond in a quartet setting on one session made for Warner Brothers and quite a few for RCA Victor. I believe all of it was issued on a Mosaic box, while the Victor material only was issued by RCA. One cut that has always knocked me out is their version of "Alone Together" which was originally on the RCA TAKE TEN lp. Really cooks. :tup

i've enjoyed hall's warm, acoustic tone and lyrical approach to soloing for many years now. that's why i'm rather disappointed that he's using special effects like a flanger during his live performances these days. anyway, i spoke to someone who knows don thompson, the bassist on the live! recording. he said don recorded a week's worth of the trio's engagement at toronto's bourbon street (this is confirmed in the reissue's liner notes). i hope that more of this music will become available some day. in the mean time, if you ever see a copy of this oop cd, pick it up, it's really nice:

c47018ea2xu.jpg

Edited by jazzshrink

...... and let's not forget Jim Hall's contribution to the some of the greatest 34.41 minutes of jazz available on CD... GRAND ENCOUNTER - 2 Degrees East / 3 Degrees West , with John Lewis, Bill Perkins, Chico Hamlton, and Percy Heath. One of my all-time favorite desert island discs..

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

Another superb Jim Hall recording is "Live At Village West," a duo with Ron Carter. Carter is also superb, and the sound is beautiful. If you listen carefully you can hear Hall's occasional intakes of breath - he often takes a big breath at the start of phrases as if he were singing or playing a horn.

The first time I saw Hall live was at a club called Boomer's on the Bowery in New York sometime in the mid-70's, playing with Cedar Walton's trio. Sam Jones was on bass and Billy Higgins on drums. The band was in the middle, the patrons seated around at little tables. I was behind Higgins, and for a teenage jazz fan just getting to know this kind of stuff, that evening was a revelation. That was around the time Jim Hall Live! came out, and I wore my vinyl copy to dust.

...... and let's not forget Jim Hall's contribution to the some of the greatest 34.41 minutes of jazz available on CD... GRAND ENCOUNTER - 2 Degrees East / 3 Degrees West , with John Lewis, Bill Perkins, Chico Hamlton, and Percy Heath. One of my all-time favorite desert island discs..

Garth.

Hell I WISH this was available still!

That track on the BFT disc is great!

Another :tup for "Concierto", love it! But also have to admit it's my single Hall leader disc so far.

What I find pretty astonishing is all the bands he was with in the fifties and early sixties: Chico Hamilton Quintet, Jimmy Giuffre 3, later with Sonny Rollins, then he was part of maybe the coolest band Art Farmer ever had, and also played along Paul Desmond on his lovely RCA albums (that box is highly recommended!).

And then there's his duo albums with Bill Evans...

An outstanding musician!

Here's a site listing Hall on CD: http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/JimHall.html

and before I forget: WE GOTTA HAVE THE "CHICO HAMILTON TRIO" ON A DECENT CD RELEASE SOON!!!

(Is Hall only on an additional session? Or was this half of the date? The site above mentions Howard Roberts on the other titles (not-listed on the Hall-site, of course), and gives Vogue as the label?

Or am I completely wrong and Hall has actually nothing to do with the Pacific Hamilton Trio LP? If so, forgive me, and let me change the above screaming to: WE GOTTA HAVE THE JIM HALL VOGUE DATES ON CD SOON!!!

ubu ;)

Two Jim Hall albums, both recorded in Japan in 1976 a few months after the Horizon Live album, and just as good are 'Jim Hall Live In Tokyo' and 'Jim Hall: Jazz Impressions of Japan'. They were made for the Paddle Wheel label with the same trio that shone on the Horizon disc: Don Thompson on bass and Terry Clarke on drums.

That Jim Hall trio was really exceptionnal!

Hall's on some of the Hamilton Trio album. I think the 10" was originally w/Roberts only, but the 12" added some (later) cuts w/Hall. It's been on CD in Japan (what HASN'T? :rolleyes: ), and is indeed an outstanding album, one which would likely raise more than a few eyebrows were it more widely available.

Hall's on some of the Hamilton Trio album. I think the 10" was originally w/Roberts only, but the 12" added some (later) cuts w/Hall. It's been on CD in Japan (what HASN'T? :rolleyes: ), and is indeed an outstanding album, one which would likely raise more than a few eyebrows were it more widely available.

Uh, we should all write Michael C emails about continuing the West Coast Classic series!

The Hamilton Trio, the Great Encounters... there would be enough good stuff for three or four batches at least, I guess!

Thanks for clearing, Jim!

And jazzshrink - there's always the japanese way, but I do not go for it - it's beyond my league, financially...

ubu