Andre Previn (1929 - 2019)

soulpope

It's curious he never did a country music album.  The man did everything else, which presents a problem for record stores and guys like me.  I've got Previn LPs in three shelf locations for jazz, easy listening, and film music -- and in another room with the classical albums.  And then there's the pop albums with Dory Previn.     

I took note of his non-jazz activites only in passing. My first exposure to him came via his mid-40s recordings for Eddie Laguna's Sunset label reissued on Black Lion in the 70s and I was suitably impressed after having bought this LP new at the time. My Fair Lady came quite a bit later (sometime after after the Jim Flora-illustrated ^_^ Rogers-Previn Collaboration on RCA and Previn/Freeman's Double Play on Contemporary). I know some will shrug many of these recordings off as too much technique (and not enough heartfelt "keyboard fumbling" or so ... ;)) but anyway ... IMO he had chops. And looking at the jazz corner of his Discogs entries now I realize there are a couple more I'll have to check out when the occasion presents itself.

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

i've been trying to figure out via the internet which came first: jazz, classical or film music.  But looks like he was a prodigy in all of them fro the beginning.  (I first noticed him as the pianist on Shelly Mann's My Fair Lady.) 

Simplified and generalized timeline:  Film music was first.  There was some overlap between his jazz work and his film work.  "Classical" - conducting and composing - came later.  Previn still occasionally played jazz along the way during the classical phase.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 hours ago, brownie said:

Love his 'Collaboration' with Shorty Rogers. One of the best West Coast recording...

I agree, a very good recording.

Previn had a diverse and truly amazing musical career.

Though not related to the music, it was interesting to see that over the course of his long life he had five wives. 

On 2/28/2019 at 2:44 PM, sgcim said:

I saw him conduct Walton's 2nd Symphony at Carnegie Hall; great performance. I enjoyed reading his autobiography, "No Minor Chords", also.

Wasn't aware that he had written an autobiography. Thanks for the heads-up on that, sgcim. 

He certainly led an interesting life!  Was there anyone who moved so fluidly and convincingly between different musical worlds?!?!?

Thinking about it, Previn made the first jazz and the first classical records I owned. When I was about ten my parents gave me an EP of him playing Fats Waller and about the same time I bought a cassette of him conducting Prokofiev's Classical Symphony and Seventh Symphony. Thanks Andre! I daresay he got a lot of people into music beyond pop, he was so unpretentious and approachable.

Are many Americans familiar with his brief comedy career?

Edited by crisp