BFT 180 link and discussion

Hardbopjazz

The first piece is "Broadway."  You might as well call it "tenor madness" as there are, by my count, four tenor soloists.  It doesn't sound like this goes too far back, yet I'm thinking it features older players.  The second soloist sounds like Johnny Griffin, but I'm not saying I'm confident with that guess.  Relatively younger guys like Joe Lovano and Joshua Redman would do stuff like this on occasion, but I'd expect them to put more of a wrinkle on it. This is played very straight.

Track #2 is certainly interesting.  As I get toward the end, that sounds like soprano work from Wayne Shorter.  The tenor sounded familiar too,  so that's likely Wayne as well.  I don't have the new Shorter record, but I know some of it is orchestral; and I would not be surprised to hear this kind of creative orchestral piece from him.  It's a fine track, and I would guess Wayne from his most recent album.

Track #3 is grooving soul jazz.  Enjoyable stuff, but I usually find it's not very distinctive.  This is what you would often from Stanley Turrentine and Albert Ammons, but I doubt it's either of them.  The guitar sounds fairly modern; it has some Metheny touches, but there are many possibilities as to who it is.  The organist is coming from someplace different--that is, not out of the Jimmy Smith school.  

Edited by Milestones

9 minutes ago, Milestones said:

The first piece is "Broadway."  You might as well call it "tenor madness" as there are, by my count, four tenor soloists.  It doesn't sound like this goes too far back, yet I'm thinking it features older players.  The second soloist sounds like Johnny Griffin, but I'm not saying I'm confident with that guess.  Relatively younger guys like Joe Lovano and Joshua Redman would do stuff like this on occasion, but I'd expect them to put more of a wrinkle on it. This is prayed very straight.

Yes, it is "Broadway." Yes there are 4 tenor players.  All are well known.

Track 5 is soul jazz of another sort.  This has more of a 70/s80s feel and has a lot of energy.  You seem to be favoring live performances, and you can hear this tune going over big with the audience.  The drums make me think of Idris Muhammed, though probably not (with much of that feel, though).  Not too sure about anyone else either.  The bari player is getting down on the big horn.  Bluiett?

Track 6 is "St. Thomas" in organ groove mode.  Not bad, but no idea who this might be.

7 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Track 5 is soul jazz of another sort.  This has more of a 70/s80s feel and has a lot of energy.  You seem to be favoring live performances, and you can hear this tune going over big with the audience.  The drums make me think of Idris Muhammed, though probably not (with much of that feel, though).  Not too sure about anyone else either.  The bari player is getting down on the big horn.  Bluiett?

It is not Bluiett on #5. Well known bari player.

Track 6 is "St. Thomas" in organ groove mode.  Not bad, but no idea who this might be.

Track 6 is "St. Thomas."   Anyone that knows soul jazz knows the b3 player on this one.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Track 7 is a nice piano-bass duet on "Blue Monk."  I can't really guess on the players.  The pianist plays it a lot straighter than would Monk or a Monk disciple, but he/she has a nice touch and is expressive.  It's an irresistible tune. 

Would the baritone player on #5 be James Carter? 

Edited by Milestones

13 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Track 7 is a nice piano-bass duet on "Blue Monk."  I can't really guess on the players.  The pianist plays it a lot straighter than would Monk or a Monk disciple, but he/she has a nice touch and is expressive.  It's an irresistible tune. 

Would the baritone player on #5 be James Carter? 

Track 7, both musicians are two of my favorites. 

No, it isn't James Carter playing baritone on #5.

Don't think I nailed anything, but here's what I DID come up with:

Track 01 - Broadway.  Don’t think I know the tenor.  Thinking it’s a regional guy.  Really solid player, time skips at times.  Of the Bergonzi generation by the sounds.  The second guy is David Murray.  Unmistakeable.  Guy is a beast.  Third guy has chops but also feel.  Maybe Josh Redman?  Has the history of the horn like that, but also seems very much in control, even when he’s not (a Redman trait).  That’s Big George (fourth guy).  This is more recent, but Big George is Big George.   John Hicks on piano.  I’m going to say mid-90s.  A fun ride.  

Track 02 - Intriguing track.  I like the languid groove.  Some of the improvs are less inspiring to me.  That choppy, 70s Wayne Shorter approach.  He did it and everybody afterward felt they had to but nobody’s done it as well.  This could be later Wayne.  It makes me want to listen to Sun Ra and hear Gilmore do what this makes me want to hear.

Track 03 - Not sure who this is.  Quite sure of the list of who it isn’t.  What happened to all these guys?  Man, I would LOVE to go hear somebody play like this, today.  

Track 04 - Huh… not really the spot for a repeated A Love Supreme quote, but hey, that’s just me.  Okay, that reaffirms my initial thought — James Carter on sopranino.  I assume this is James’ organ trio (Gerard Gibbs, Dr. Professor Leonard King), but not sure who the guitarist is.  If James could just forget he is James for a few minutes, he would be scary.  I mean, he IS scary, but… I mean, it’s amazing what he can do with a saxophone, but you don’t need to show me ALL of it on EVERY track.  Yes, that is Gerard, so I’ll go ahead and double down that it’s also Leonard King.

Track 05 - Not sure, but love the groove.  Love that Bari sound.  BALLSY Bari sound.  Of the Carter generation, but more controlled than JC.  Also, somebody owes Eddie Harris some royalties.  Hummy keyboardist doesn’t excite me.  Sounds like Jeff Coffin on tenor to me, but I wouldn’t expect him to essentially layout on a cut like this.

Track 06 - Huh.  Heard Big George earlier, and he was the first guy I ever heard play this (yes, I heard his version before Newk’s; likely not true, but when I heard it, I wasn’t awake to the music, yet).  Not sure of the tenor, other  than I’ve heard him.  Okay, there’s James, again.  Could the tenor maybe be Don Braden?

Track 07 - Sounds like Cedar Walton to me at first.  And by 52 seconds I’ve talked myself out of that.  Had hopes for the way this started, but  — and I think it’s the bass — it’s just not firing.  Actually liking the pianist, but my ear wants a nice, loping, Connie Kaye feel coming from a trap kit.  This needs that.  Yeah, loving the pianist at 2:12.  Great time, but this just calls for that ringing ride cymbal.  Bassist seems to be taking a nap.  He’s playing everything an octave higher than I want.  I was leaning George Mraz, but the sound is wrong.  Walton/Mraz was my first thought in the beginning.  Like to hear some more of this record.  NHOP on bass?  I could be convinced to go back to Walton at 6:40.  I’m going to go with Walton/NHOP.   Final guess, moving on.

Track 08 - Don’t care for that bass line.  Again, like the piano.  Stevie Wonder tune.  Forget the name.  Could be a bunch of peeps.  I mean… there’s times I want to go with my standard BFT guess of Gene Harris…

Track 09 - Respectable take on I’ll Remember April, but I don’t know who it is.

Track 10 - Loving the pianist on this one, too.  This whole track works.  Always loved the song.  Just before the 3 minute mark, really sounded like Tommy Flanagan, but on the whole, seems flashier.  

Thanks for the listen!

21 hours ago, tkeith said:

Track 01 - Broadway.  Don’t think I know the tenor.  Thinking it’s a regional guy.  Really solid player, time skips at times.  Of the Bergonzi generation by the sounds.  The second guy is David Murray.  Unmistakeable.  Guy is a beast.  Third guy has chops but also feel.  Maybe Josh Redman?  Has the history of the horn like that, but also seems very much in control, even when he’s not (a Redman trait).  That’s Big George (fourth guy).  This is more recent, but Big George is Big George.   John Hicks on piano.  I’m going to say mid-90s.  A fun ride.  Yes it is David Murray tenor number 2. Yes it is  Big George on tenor number 4. I need your official answer for tenor number 3. :) Yes it John Hick on piano. It is later than the mid-90's. Well done.

Track 02 - Intriguing track.  I like the languid groove.  Some of the improvs are less inspiring to me.  That choppy, 70s Wayne Shorter approach.  He did it and everybody afterward felt they had to but nobody’s done it as well.  This could be later Wayne.  It makes me want to listen to Sun Ra and hear Gilmore do what this makes me want to hear. It is Wayne Shorter. Milestones guessed it.

Track 03 - Not sure who this is.  Quite sure of the list of who it isn’t.  What happened to all these guys?  Man, I would LOVE to go hear somebody play like this, today.  

Track 04 - Huh… not really the spot for a repeated A Love Supreme quote, but hey, that’s just me.  Okay, that reaffirms my initial thought — James Carter on sopranino.  I assume this is James’ organ trio (Gerard Gibbs, Dr. Professor Leonard King), but not sure who the guitarist is.  If James could just forget he is James for a few minutes, he would be scary.  I mean, he IS scary, but… I mean, it’s amazing what he can do with a saxophone, but you don’t need to show me ALL of it on EVERY track.  Yes, that is Gerard, so I’ll go ahead and double down that it’s also Leonard King. Yes it is James Carter on Soprano. It isn't the James' Organ Trio. 

Track 05 - Not sure, but love the groove.  Love that Bari sound.  BALLSY Bari sound.  Of the Carter generation, but more controlled than JC.  Also, somebody owes Eddie Harris some royalties.  Hummy keyboardist doesn’t excite me.  Sounds like Jeff Coffin on tenor to me, but I wouldn’t expect him to essentially layout on a cut like this.

Track 06 - Huh.  Heard Big George earlier, and he was the first guy I ever heard play this (yes, I heard his version before Newk’s; likely not true, but when I heard it, I wasn’t awake to the music, yet).  Not sure of the tenor, other  than I’ve heard him.  Okay, there’s James, again.  Could the tenor maybe be Don Braden? No it is Don Braden. Yes it is JC again. 

Track 07 - Sounds like Cedar Walton to me at first.  And by 52 seconds I’ve talked myself out of that.  Had hopes for the way this started, but  — and I think it’s the bass — it’s just not firing.  Actually liking the pianist, but my ear wants a nice, loping, Connie Kaye feel coming from a trap kit.  This needs that.  Yeah, loving the pianist at 2:12.  Great time, but this just calls for that ringing ride cymbal.  Bassist seems to be taking a nap.  He’s playing everything an octave higher than I want.  I was leaning George Mraz, but the sound is wrong.  Walton/Mraz was my first thought in the beginning.  Like to hear some more of this record.  NHOP on bass?  I could be convinced to go back to Walton at 6:40.  I’m going to go with Walton/NHOP.   Final guess, moving on. Damn, your the Babe Ruth of the Blind Fold Tests. It is Cedar, but not NHOP. 

Track 08 - Don’t care for that bass line.  Again, like the piano.  Stevie Wonder tune.  Forget the name.  Could be a bunch of peeps.  I mean… there’s times I want to go with my standard BFT guess of Gene Harris…

Track 10 - Loving the pianist on this one, too.  This whole track works.  Always loved the song.  Just before the 3 minute mark, really sounded like Tommy Flanagan, but on the whole, seems flashier.  

Thanks for the listen!

D

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Track 01 - Broadway.  Don’t think I know the tenor.  Thinking it’s a regional guy.  Really solid player, time skips at times.  Of the Bergonzi generation by the sounds.  The second guy is David Murray.  Unmistakeable.  Guy is a beast.  Third guy has chops but also feel.  Maybe Josh Redman?  Has the history of the horn like that, but also seems very much in control, even when he’s not (a Redman trait).  That’s Big George (fourth guy).  This is more recent, but Big George is Big George.   John Hicks on piano.  I’m going to say mid-90s.  A fun ride.  

Track 02 - Intriguing track.  I like the languid groove.  Some of the improvs are less inspiring to me.  That choppy, 70s Wayne Shorter approach.  He did it and everybody afterward felt they had to but nobody’s done it as well.  This could be later Wayne.  It makes me want to listen to Sun Ra and hear Gilmore do what this makes me want to hear.

Track 04 - Huh… not really the spot for a repeated A Love Supreme quote, but hey, that’s just me.  Okay, that reaffirms my initial thought — James Carter on sopranino.  I assume this is James’ organ trio (Gerard Gibbs, Dr. Professor Leonard King), but not sure who the guitarist is.  If James could just forget he is James for a few minutes, he would be scary.  I mean, he IS scary, but… I mean, it’s amazing what he can do with a saxophone, but you don’t need to show me ALL of it on EVERY track.  Yes, that is Gerard, so I’ll go ahead and double down that it’s also Leonard King.

Track 06 - Huh.  Heard Big George earlier, and he was the first guy I ever heard play this (yes, I heard his version before Newk’s; likely not true, but when I heard it, I wasn’t awake to the music, yet).  Not sure of the tenor, other  than I’ve heard him.  Okay, there’s James, again.  Could the tenor maybe be Don Braden?

Track 07 - Sounds like Cedar Walton to me at first.  And by 52 seconds I’ve talked myself out of that.  Had hopes for the way this started, but  — and I think it’s the bass — it’s just not firing.  Actually liking the pianist, but my ear wants a nice, loping, Connie Kaye feel coming from a trap kit.  This needs that.  Yeah, loving the pianist at 2:12.  Great time, but this just calls for that ringing ride cymbal.  Bassist seems to be taking a nap.  He’s playing everything an octave higher than I want.  I was leaning George Mraz, but the sound is wrong.  Walton/Mraz was my first thought in the beginning.  Like to hear some more of this record.  NHOP on bass?  I could be convinced to go back to Walton at 6:40.  I’m going to go with Walton/NHOP.   Final guess, moving on.

Thanks for the listen!

Correction, it isn't Don Braden on #6. 

Great BFT! Very enjoyable. I am still trying to guess the musicians. I am pretty sure that I do not have any of these songs in my collection. I have been wrong about that before.

i just love Track 2. If that comes from an album which can be purchased, I am going to have to get it. 

Track 8 is “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder but I don’t know who is playing it. 

Back for another listen!

7 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Great BFT! Very enjoyable. I am still trying to guess the musicians. I am pretty sure that I do not have any of these songs in my collection. I have been wrong about that before.

i just love Track 2. If that comes from an album which can be purchased, I am going to have to get it. 

Track 8 is “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder but I don’t know who is playing it. 

Back for another listen!

#2 is from a radio broadcast. 

#8 is "I Wish."

• 2 weeks later...